2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Since QB talk is in here... out of the 31 other teams, which teams can we reasonably expect to go after a QB in the draft in the first 3 rounds? How many teams will fill their void with a free agent or retain their current starter?

I could see any of the below being options, though there are probably a few more who might be more "dark horse" candidates, and by round 3 I think the window for other teams open up dramatically.

Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Los Angeles Chargers
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
Oakland Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

By the 3rd i'd be willing to take a shot on Eason, Fromm, Love, or Hurts. Eason's arm has always caught my eye, but his accuracy and decision making is still iffy. I like Fromm, but I don't think he will be anything but a bland QB in the NFL at best, and I don't know if that cuts the cake in the end. If Tua started to fall in the 2nd, i'd be willing to make a move for him: very talented, and he'd have a year to sit, recover, and learn. 

What about Cole McDonald ( QB) from Hawaii? He came out early and I think he could be the hidden gem this year. 6’4” , 220 lbs. Has a big arm and can run if he has too.

Of course, he would sit and learn for a year. But I think with the right coaches, he could become a really good QB. I actually read an article where he is getting compared to Patrick Mahomes... very interesting..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Not sure where any of them are projected but based on the little bit I've read on each of them the Michigan iOL could be great picks for the Vikings.

Ben Bredeson, Cesar Ruiz, and Michael Onwenu.

I'm starting to get more and more intrigued by this guy.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl-day-3-recap--east-drills

PASS RUSH 1 VS. 1S - MICHIGAN OG MICHAEL ONWENU

If there was one interior lineman on the East roster that wasn't outmatched, it would be Michael Onwenu, who continues to be one of the biggest winners of the week. His anchor ability was evident watching him challenge rushers in the one on ones — he recruits his lower body power so well and shows pleasantly nimble feet to keep his base established when fighting off contact. Pair that anchor ability with his 34 1/2 inch arms and Onwenu is a rare consistent winner in the pass rush 1 vs. 1s at an All-Star event.

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm starting to get more and more intrigued by this guy.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl-day-3-recap--east-drills

PASS RUSH 1 VS. 1S - MICHIGAN OG MICHAEL ONWENU

If there was one interior lineman on the East roster that wasn't outmatched, it would be Michael Onwenu, who continues to be one of the biggest winners of the week. His anchor ability was evident watching him challenge rushers in the one on ones — he recruits his lower body power so well and shows pleasantly nimble feet to keep his base established when fighting off contact. Pair that anchor ability with his 34 1/2 inch arms and Onwenu is a rare consistent winner in the pass rush 1 vs. 1s at an All-Star event.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/shrine-bowl-defensive-line-offensive-line-bravvon-roy-khalil-davis-john-penisini-michael-onwenu

Michael Onwenu is a big player; he tipped the scaled 362 pounds at Monday's weigh-ins and boasts of 34 1/2 inch arms ... for a guard. Those are both astronomical numbers. Onwenu has a squattier build without a huge stride length, so I understand why he played on the interior, but the East team defensive tackles surely wish he was on the outside. Onwenu is stonewalling folks in one-on-ones; with a defensive line background, he is willing to get aggressive in the trenches with jump sets and early punches to initiate contact and generate immediate displacement. 

He's likely the best offensive lineman here on either team.

10 minutes ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

I also have a hard time seeing Rick/Zimmer drafting a QB early unfortunately. 

For me, If Tua were to drop to around 10ish (seems unlikely right now) I would try to trade up for him, otherwise I wouldn't mind moving up a little bit to take a chance on Jordan Love.

Love is still the guy I'd move up for...while he's certainly fairly raw, he has the skill-set that translates very well to today's game.  Let him sit and learn for a year and then roll him out in 2021.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:17 PM, NorthCountryEvo said:

Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Los Angeles Chargers
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
Oakland Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Of those, the ones that most likely to consider taking QBs high in the draft are the Bengals (guaranteed),  Dolphins, Colts and Chargers.  The others may or may not depending upon their evaluations.  And some of them may not even be guaranteed to take them in the 1st round.  They may want to pull a Drew Brees scenario and draft some other position in the first round and then take their QB early in the 2nd.