2020 Draft Talk

swede700

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings draft Thaddeus Moss, how long will the petition be for Irv Smith to give up 84?

Yeah can we just trade Irv Smith for Thaddeus straight up?  I would totally take Thaddeus Moss over Irv Smith all day, he is bigger, more athletic and has more big play potential arguably.  Would love for him to be on the team but doubt it ever happens unless they literally trade Irv Smith for him.

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Where do the Panthers pick in the first round?

The Panthers select 7th overall in the 2020 draft.  One would think that a decent QB prospect would be available with that pick, or even later, as Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Fromm, Montez and Love are projected to go in the first few rounds.

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Disappointed that Etienne returned for his senior season. Very similar runner to Cook/Kamara, but with no health concerns. Would've loved for the Vikings to pick him up in the 2nd and trade Dalvin Cook for a 2nd/3rd, but the dream is dead.

Dead?  They could easily play Cook this year and draft him next year or Chuba Hubbard next year.  I doubt they resign Cook but will see what happens.  Sucks, wish the Vikings needed a back now, they could get a very good one late 1st round possibly.  OL is the pick though all the way.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Dead?  They could easily play Cook this year and draft him next year or Chuba Hubbard next year.  I doubt they resign Cook but will see what happens.  Sucks, wish the Vikings needed a back now, they could get a very good one late 1st round possibly.  OL is the pick though all the way.

I was hoping the Vikings could take Etienne mid/late 2nd. He'll probably move up on boards next year. I doubt the Vikings address all their needs this year, it'd be tough to justify to taking an RB 1st round this or next year.

16 hours ago, perrynoid said:

The Panthers select 7th overall in the 2020 draft.  One would think that a decent QB prospect would be available with that pick, or even later, as Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Fromm, Montez and Love are projected to go in the first few rounds.

Montez a first rounder!?  Who's projecting that to happen?  I haven't seen him projected any higher than 4th as far as I can remember.  I've been wrong before of course.

Here's the thing about drafting a QB this season:  If Spielman doesn't get a new deal, there's no way he drafts one.  He'll be working for the best immediate results from THIS draft only.  Now, it's possible he drafts one just to prove to the Wilfs that he's thinking of the long term plan, thus enticing them to resign him.  Or perhaps he's already met with ownership and been told that's what needs to happen.  I don't know obviously.

But is Spielman the right guy to draft a QB in the first place, given his sparse and largely unsuccessful record at the position?  And is Zimmer the guy to coach a young QB at this point?  The OC will have a lot to do with that of course.  We'll see who that ends up being.

I get the sinking feeling Spielman and Zimmer will get new deals soon, and that, if it's possible, so will Cousins.

Edited by Hyperborean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyperborean said:

Montez a first rounder!?  Who's projecting that to happen?  I haven't seen him projected any higher than 4th as far as I can remember.  I've been wrong before of course.

Here's the thing about drafting a QB this season:  If Spielman doesn't get a new deal, there's no way he drafts one.  He'll be working for the best immediate results from THIS draft only.  Now, it's possible he drafts one just to prove to the Wilfs that he's thinking of the long term plan, thus enticing them to resign him.  Or perhaps he's already met with ownership and been told that's what needs to happen.  I don't know obviously.

But is Spielman the right guy to draft a QB in the first place, given his sparse and largely unsuccessful record at the position?  And is Zimmer the guy to coach a young QB at this point?  The OC will have a lot to do with that of course.  We'll see who that ends up being.

I get the sinking feeling Spielman and Zimmer will get new deals soon, and that, if it's possible, so will Cousins.

Walter football has Montez going 38th overall to the Panthers.  At this early stage in the assessment process, there is a high degree of variability at where some players are expected to be drafted.  If there is an encouraging development with Spielman, it's that his last draft looks pretty decent.  What he might be doing is drafting people who fell for some reason.  Some of the mock drafters last year mentioned that the Vikings latter picks were expected to go higher in the draft, which is I think a decent strategy.  Perhaps a decent QB slides to the 4th round and Spielman takes him?  Should be an interesting off-season for sure.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020_2.php

Carolina Panthers: Steven Montez, QB, Colorado Colorado_logo.gif
New Panthers owner Bobby Axelrod has said that he wants to trade Cam Newton. If that happens, he'll obviously need a new quarterback because Kyle Allen is just a high-end backup.

Steven Montez's accuracy isn't great, but he has great upside as a quarterback prospect.

6 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Walter football has Montez going 38th overall to the Panthers.  At this early stage in the assessment process, there is a high degree of variability at where some players are expected to be drafted.  If there is an encouraging development with Spielman, it's that his last draft looks pretty decent.  What he might be doing is drafting people who fell for some reason.  Some of the mock drafters last year mentioned that the Vikings latter picks were expected to go higher in the draft, which is I think a decent strategy.  Perhaps a decent QB slides to the 4th round and Spielman takes him?  Should be an interesting off-season for sure.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020_2.php

Carolina Panthers: Steven Montez, QB, Colorado Colorado_logo.gif
New Panthers owner Bobby Axelrod has said that he wants to trade Cam Newton. If that happens, he'll obviously need a new quarterback because Kyle Allen is just a high-end backup.

Steven Montez's accuracy isn't great, but he has great upside as a quarterback prospect.

What?  In what world is Steven Montez some highly prized QB prospect?  Steven Montez was horribly inaccurate with the football this year and his progression as a RS SR was disappointing I thought.  Mid to late round pick, no way some franchise is going to build their QB room around him.

James Lynch

I have Wirfs, Thomas, Willis, Jackson, Becton, Adams all gone by the Vikings pick and think James Lynch would be an AWESOME pickup late 1st round.  He could totally be there and has DE potential and could play DT as well.  Is tough and is a great value I feel, tough dude and is good against the run and can clearly get after the QB.  Could be awesome with Hunter long term and then go OG in the 2nd round.  

Is not a super exciting 1st round draft for the Vikings based on who they will most likely not be able to get, but Lynch is super interesting and could totally be around.  

I agree that there is a wide divergence of where prospects are expected to go in the draft.  It is entertaining to see who falls, and who rises, over the course of the off season.  I have seen Neville Gallimore has been mocked to us in the 1st, and others where he has been mocked to us in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I agree that there is a wide divergence of where prospects are expected to go in the draft.  It is entertaining to see who falls, and who rises, over the course of the off season.  I have seen Neville Gallimore has been mocked to us in the 1st, and others where he has been mocked to us in the 3rd.

There is no way Gallimore is a 1st round pick unless he runs like a 4.7 40 or something, good player but there are a few better than him.

PS that same mock draft I looked up to the Vikings 1st round pick, and they pass on Tristian Wirfs for Raekwon Davis?  Ummmmm noooooo  Tristian Wirfs after the combine will be a lock top 10 pick I think.  

I will say this about the draft this time around:  our needs and the players who match those needs are aligning pretty well.  IMO, we need Oline, corners, and interior Dline more than anything (and QBOTF wouldn't be a bad idea but I realize I'm dreaming).

At #25 there will be a good number of guys who can help us immediately--and will probably HAVE to help us immediately.  I know Zimmer isn't crazy about starting rookie corners, but what real choice will he have if we lose both our starters (and I hope we do)?  It's possible that lil' Diggs (Trevon), Bryce Hall, and C.J. Henderson will be available when we pick.  Maybe Xavier McKinney at safety too.  Any of those guys would immediately help.  I do think we should retain Alexander.

I doubt Kinlaw or Derrick Brown fall to us, but if they did, they would be perfect for our Dline and would instantly toughen us up in the middle.  Neville Gallimore may be there and he's a beast too.

But I'm actually hoping for one guy to be the pick:  Mekhi Becton, OT of Louisville.  The fact that three of the best OTs in recent memory are projected to the top of the draft only helps our hopes that Becton will be there when we pick.  That, and the fact that about a dozen WRs are likely to be picked ahead of us.  

6'7" 369 lbs and mean as a junkyard dog.  I want to see this guy stifle the pass rush and plow over the Packers' "dream team" next season so badly.  If we could land Becton and Biadasz in the second, I would be ecstatic.  Not likely to happen but anything is possible.  I think a couple of guys like these--and maybe just one of them--could turn our whole unit around.  Sometimes it's attitude on the line that makes all the difference.  We don't really have that right now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

I will say this about the draft this time around:  our needs and the players who match those needs are aligning pretty well.  IMO, we need Oline, corners, and interior Dline more than anything (and QBOTF wouldn't be a bad idea but I realize I'm dreaming).

At #25 there will be a good number of guys who can help us immediately--and will probably HAVE to help us immediately.  I know Zimmer isn't crazy about starting rookie corners, but what real choice will he have if we lose both our starters (and I hope we do)?  It's possible that lil' Diggs (Trevon), Bryce Hall, and C.J. Henderson will be available when we pick.  Maybe Xavier McKinney at safety too.  Any of those guys would immediately help.  I do think we should retain Alexander.

I doubt Kinlaw or Derrick Brown fall to us, but if they did, they would be perfect for our Dline and would instantly toughen us up in the middle.  Neville Gallimore may be there and he's a beast too.

But I'm actually hoping for one guy to be the pick:  Mekhi Becton, OT of Louisville.  The fact that three of the best OTs in recent memory are projected to the top of the draft only helps our hopes that Becton will be there when we pick.  That, and the fact that about a dozen WRs are likely to be picked ahead of us.  

6'7" 369 lbs and mean as a junkyard dog.  I want to see this guy stifle the pass rush and plow over the Packers' "dream team" next season so badly.  If we could land Becton and Biadasz in the second, I would be ecstatic.  Not likely to happen but anything is possible.  I think a couple of guys like these--and maybe just one of them--could turn our whole unit around.  Sometimes it's attitude on the line that makes all the difference.  We don't really have that right now.

That would be sweet to get Becton no doubt, but I have him going to New England, and if not there possibly Buffalo and if not there then maybe Miami.  Gallimore as a 1st rounder is a crazy over draft I feel, he has injury history and Davidson, Roy, Madubuike and maybe even Hamilton are better players at DT arguably, possibly Fotu as well.  

DB makes sense but Henderson is not worth a late 1st round pick, McKinney maybe but my guess is they resign Harris instead of the corners honestly because safety is more of an issue.  Getting Diggs brother 1st round, no thank you.  His tackling is suspect at times as is his health, and if he complains as much as his big bro forget it.  

Most recent mock 4 rounder I did I had the Vikings get these guys.  Little stretch with Stenberg that high but he is so good in the run game, and Throckmorton is a good value 4th round and a potential OT backup or OG.  And clearly love James Lynch for the Vikings and hope they get him!

25. Minnesota  - James Lynch Baylor JR DE/DT

57. Minnesota - Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS SR OG  

89. Minnesota - Essang Bassey Wake Forest SR CB

121. Minnesota- Calvin Throckmorton Oregon SR OG/OT