2020 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, Taylor0026 said:

You do understand this is a 2020 draft discussion page?  

You do understand that there is a lot more that goes into draft discussion than countless mock drafts that are nothing more than a weekly regurgitation of what someone thinks the team should do based on no analysis other than “Team A needs this position, so I’ll insert random Player B who plays that position”, right?

I'll be disappointed with a first round CB. Unless its Okudah, which won't happen. 

I feel that a DB "guru" like Zimmer shouldn't need to keep drafting CBs with 1st and 2nd round picks. He's either good with DBs, or he creates the illusion by getting better talent. Our top 3 picks need to be in the trenches. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'll be disappointed with a first round CB. Unless its Okudah, which won't happen. 

I feel that a DB "guru" like Zimmer shouldn't need to keep drafting CBs with 1st and 2nd round picks. He's either good with DBs, or he creates the illusion by getting better talent. Our top 3 picks need to be in the trenches. 

I wouldn't be disappointed, but I do think they should wait and take one in the mid-rounds and be able to develop him.  The first 3 rounds, as far as I'm concerned, should be OL, DL, and QB (in whichever order).  

Kyle Dugger, Adam Trautman, Ben Bartch and Jeremy Chinn have all aced their first test against the bigger competition with flying colors.

KYLE DUGGER, LENOIR-RHYNE

Hickory, North Carolina is a small town that many people have never heard of, but there's a big-time talent that many are now familiar with. Outside of top-ranked prospects like Javon Kinlaw and Justin Herbert, there hasn't been a player more impressive in Mobile than Dugger.

A Division II safety hasn’t been drafted since the Chicago Bears selected Danieal Manning with the No. 42-overall pick in the 2006 draft.

BEN BARTCH, ST. JOHN'S (MN)

For many, the offensive line is one of the hardest positions to project. There's been plenty of hits and misses on early-, mid- and late-round selections, but it's rare to see a prospect come from the Division III ranks to stardom as we've seen from Ben Bartch. 

Bartch has many parts to his story. It's easy to see why he continues to live in the moment despite what may be ensuing. He’s received lots of comparisons to former Division III prospect and Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Ali Marpet. Many think Bartch could have a similar type of career. The team that drafts him must remain patient, but the end result could be a budding success.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/small-school-prospects-prove-their-worth-at-the-senior-bowl

21 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I agree.  Are we going to be in a cycle of having to take a CB in the 1st round every other year to keep replacing the guys we don't re-sign?  I would also like to see Zimmer take some mid-round guys and turn them into first round caliber DBs.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I just don’t understand the fascination with mock drafts, especially 3 month before the draft.

something to discuss? I guess if you tihnk about it, anything on this board is questionable to spend time on.......like pages of speculation on the OC.....

On 1/22/2020 at 7:41 AM, JDBrocks said:

You don’t think Waynes has gotten better over the years?

No, not really.  He's been competent/average at best.  I know everyone hates PFF grades when they're low, but they're at least a good way to illustrate overall play numerically.  

Waynes

2015- 64.3 in 15 games (1 start)

2016- 63.4 in 15 games (8 starts)

2017- 70.6 in 16 starts (three years to become full time starter for #11 overall pick)

2018-69.1 in 14 starts

2019- 65.1 in 14 starts

Both he and Rhodes had great years in 2017, but who didn't on that team?  

The thing is, we're talking about whether or not to re-sign him to a very expensive extension while we're in a tough cap situation  He's not going to be worth anywhere near that money, and we don't have it to give him even if he were.  He's been steady but the return on investment has not been there.