2020 Draft Talk

swede700

On 1/21/2020 at 9:32 AM, swede700 said:

He may be a little short and light, but Arif indicated that this is a guy who might be a prototypical zone-blocking OG.

Sounds like he had an AWFUL week at the Senior Bowl. 

It’s a high-demand but I want iOL that don’t have anchor issues AND can move. 

Like others, I don't think the Vikings will draft a QB, unless they are the BPA in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds.  It would be nice to upgrade the back up QB, and the Vikings may address this in FA...on the cheap.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, Ozzy said:

What go with Mannion again and hope Cousins does not get hurt?  Not sure that is a great long term strategy.  Backup/developmental future QB needs to be address either in the draft or free agency and not sure the Vikings have the money to get anyone legit free agent wise.  

That is not true at all.  Just this past season you have Minshew 6th round, Finley 4th and Stidham 5th, Stick 5th round and McSorley 6th round and all either played this season at some point or at made the roster.  Compared that to who, David Blough?  Yeah I would rather have those other guys thanks.  But maybe the Vikings like Browning enough to have him be the backup next season, I would not really like that long term or for next season but I guess he would be cheap.  

Thanks for bringing up names of QBs you like instead of naming QBs who’ve actually done something. Blough, for last season, has given more value than everyone on your list other than Minshew. 

21 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Just one of the hundreds of articles regarding QBs and the round they're taken.

Fwiw, I still think they should draft a QB but that's because they need competition at backup.

Thank you for posting the study I was trying to find.  Outside of the fifth round (really odd). You can find just as much career value in undrafted players as you can in rounds 3-7. 

looking at that pass dvoa chart -

UDFA: Romo, Warner, Garcia, Fiedler 

3-7: Brady, Schaub, Garrard, Bulger, Griese 

It just doesn’t make sense to draft a QB outside of the 1st and 2nd rounds if you want any return on investment.

The problem with looking at successful QBs that were drafted compared to understand is that I imagine there has been a lot more undrafted QBs given a shot. It would be hard to know where to cut the line off though if one was to count how many total undrafted QBs there has been

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

The problem with looking at successful QBs that were drafted compared to understand is that I imagine there has been a lot more undrafted QBs given a shot. It would be hard to know where to cut the line off though if one was to count how many total undrafted QBs there has been

The problem with this whole deal is the inequality of opportunity, but that's not changing anytime soon, so unless the Vikings are going to buck some trends (wouldn't be the worst idea), they can probably skip out on drafting a QB

33 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Even though I'm a former Cobber Football Alum, I'm cheering for Bartch!

Go Cobbers! 

I am too far removed to remember who the rivalries were. I only remember the rivalry with the Dragons. I don't think they still play the annual Cobbers vs Dragons game (The Crystal Bowl, sponsored by the local sugar plant). By this point, I'll root for anyone that plays in the division. So, I'll cheer for Bartch with you.

I will also cheer for the Vikings to draft any offensive linemen that will help the situation. I don't know enough about Bartch to know whether he would be a candidate. Wherever it is from, the Vikings need some good offensive linemen.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Go Cobbers! 

I am too far removed to remember who the rivalries were. I only remember the rivalry with the Dragons. I don't think they still play the annual Cobbers vs Dragons game (The Crystal Bowl, sponsored by the local sugar plant). By this point, I'll root for anyone that plays in the division. So, I'll cheer for Bartch with you.

I will also cheer for the Vikings to draft any offensive linemen that will help the situation. I don't know enough about Bartch to know whether he would be a candidate. Wherever it is from, the Vikings need some good offensive linemen.

I believe the last Cobbers vs. Dragons was 2007, which was my senior year in high school.