2020 Draft Talk

swede700

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'd take him if we traded down to #32 and got another pick too.

#32 is in the first round, ya know...

I’m not interested in taking a safety anywhere in the top 100. 

This defense has been extremely successful with two undrafted safeties next to Harrison Smith. I’m not worried about Zimmer finding another. No need to use a high pick on one. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This defense has been extremely successful with two undrafted safeties next to Harrison Smith. I’m not worried about Zimmer finding another. No need to use a high pick on one. 

If he were there in the 2nd round though, I'd certainly take him, because he's likely going to be more than just "a safety", he's going to be one of those all-purpose type DBs, I imagine that he could also play nickel as well as in-the-box and will likely also be a special teams superstar out of the gate.  He's been prepared by his dad his entire life to play at this level.  His physical skills aren't going to be an advantage, but his mental skills will make him good out of the gate.   

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Lets not kid ourselves both of those undrafted players had atleast a couple years to learn the ropes, you're not throwing an undrafted safety in there to start unless you think Harris is coming back. If thats the case I'd still rather draft the guy I think is going to be a star with Harrison starting to age.  Personally I think Harrison has 3 more years of elite play left and I'd rather pay a player I perceive to be a future star & possibly take Harrison's spot who should be entering their prime over a player who will most likely be on the decline.  Just my opinion though.

Here's where I'm at.  I think Lewis is the only player I'm really reaching for but every year a player drops for whatever reason so I don't want to hear anyone who claims to be an expert come in here and say no way so & so is there ... Blah Blah Blah 

1.(25) Ross Blacklock (DT) TCU
2.(26) Prince Tega Wanogho (OT) Auburn
3.(25) Terrell Lewis (Edge) Alabama
4.(26) Tyler Johnson (WR) Minnesota
4.(35) Brandon Jones (S) Texas
6.(26) Collin Johnson (WR) Texas
7.(5) Alohi Gilman (S) Notre Dame
7.(25) JJ Taylor (RB) Arizona 
7.(38) Saahdiq Charles (OL) LSU
7.(39) Carter Coughlin (LB) Minnesota

Edit: This is under the assumption that we bring back atleast one of Mac or Waynes & sign OG Schreff.   Ideally I really want us to add Damon Arnette  but I think it'd take an earlier 3rd rounder or maybe might even have to trade back into the 2nd to land him 

Edited by Boda
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Boda said:

Here's where I'm at.  I think Lewis is the only player I'm really reaching for but every year a player drops for whatever reason so I don't want to hear anyone who claims to be an expert come in here and say no way so & so is there ... Blah Blah Blah 

1.(25) Ross Blacklock (DT) TCU
2.(26) Prince Tega Wanogho (OT) Auburn
3.(25) Terrell Lewis (Edge) Alabama
4.(26) Tyler Johnson (WR) Minnesota
4.(35) Brandon Jones (S) Texas
6.(26) Collin Johnson (WR) Texas
7.(5) Alohi Gilman (S) Notre Dame
7.(25) JJ Taylor (RB) Arizona 
7.(38) Saahdiq Charles (OL) LSU
7.(39) Carter Coughlin (LB) Minnesota

Edit: This is under the assumption that we bring back atleast one of Mac or Waynes & sign OG Schreff.   Ideally I really want us to add Damon Arnette  but I think it'd take an earlier 3rd rounder or maybe might even have to trade back into the 2nd to land him 

That's pretty nice.  I'm a little bummed knowing Zimmer's take on the tackling ability rather than coverage ability being the top trait he values.  We need guys that can come up with turnovers.  Let's imagine a near future in which Aaron Rodgers gets another talented target or two, and in which Chicago gets a QB who isn't a total potato.  We need cover guys.

This is a draft where it would likely be more desirable to have a couple twos rather than the first we currently have.  I think this is where we test the trade value of Dalvin Cook.  Could some team desperate for the now antiquated "bell cow" RB actually give up a first round pick for him?  That would save us the headache and money he will bring as he seeks a second deal.  I know, everyone likes Cook, but consider the offense we have now and who is running it.  Kubiak's OC history is full of elevating low round RBs into stars (and in one case, a Hall of Famer).  

1995 Terrell Davis (6th round pick) 1,117 yds 7 tds

1996 TD 1,538 yds 13 tds

1997 TD 1,750 yds 15 tds

1998 TD 2,008 yds 21 tds

1999 Olandis Gary (4th round pick)  1,159 yds 7 tds

2000 Mike Anderson (6th round pick) 1,487  15tds

2001 TD 701 yds 0 tds, MA 678 yds 4 tds

2002 Clinton Portis (2nd round pick) 1,508 yds 15 tds

2003 CP 1,591 yds  14 tds 

After his second consecutive 1,500+ yd season, Portis wanted to be paid like a star.  So, knowing that any RB can deliver in Kubiak's system, they traded him to the Washington Redskins for CB Champ Bailey (already a 4-time pro bowler, he became a 3-time All Pro and added another 8 pro bowls and a Hall of Fame jacket in Denver) plus a 2nd round pick.  Wouldn't you like to see a similar haul for Cook?  I would.  (I can't insist on a HOFer of course, but I can dream)

2004 Reuben Droughns (4rd by Lions)  1,240 yds  6 tds

2005 MA  1,014 yds  12 tds

Now, bear in mind, except for the 2001 season in which Davis only played half the games because of injury, I'm only listing the leading rusher's stats and I'm not listing their receiving stats.  The backups added sugar too btw, I just don't always list them.  John Elway only played with Kubiak as OC from 1995 to 1998, so we can't assume that the next man up RB thing only works out if your QB is a HOFer either.  Something to think about.

If Kubiak gets his kind of RB (Mattison certainly seems like those old Denver guys in many ways) in later rounds, his offense still chugs along.  I'm not anxious to get rid of Cook but you have to use what you've got when you've got it.  Knowing his propensity for injuries and the lack of much "star power" at RB in this draft, when will Cook's value be higher than it is right now?  I could see a Joshua Kelly or LaMical Perine contributing every bit as much as Cook, even if they don't have the "wow" highlight that Cook routinely delivers.  If it gets us a starting Olineman, DT or CB (or combination of those) how can we pass that up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyperborean said:

After his second consecutive 1,500+ yd season, Portis wanted to be paid like a star.  So, knowing that any RB can deliver in Kubiak's system, they traded him to the Washington Redskins for CB Champ Bailey (already a 4-time pro bowler, he became a 3-time All Pro and added another 8 pro bowls and a Hall of Fame jacket in Denver) plus a 2nd round pick.  Wouldn't you like to see a similar haul for Cook?  I would.  (I can't insist on a HOFer of course, but I can dream)

And this is another prime example of why the Washington Football Team will always be a steaming cesspool of football excrement while Daniel Snyder owns the team.