2020 Draft Talk

swede700

I moved around a lot this time...

Round 2 Pick 3 (DET): Josh Jones, OT, Houston (A+)
Round 2 Pick 10 (JAX): Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU (A)
Round 3 Pick 5 (CAR): Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26 (CLE): Lucas Niang, OT, TCU (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (CINN): Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 7 (CAR): Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 18 (PITT): Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee (A+)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Matt Hennessy, C, Temple (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (CINN): Jeremy Chinn, FS/SS, Southern Illinois (A)
Round 5 Pick 31 (K.C.): Sean Pollard, OG, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4 (NYG): K'Von Wallace, FS/SS, Clemson (A)
Round 7 Pick 25: TJ Brunson, OLB, South Carolina (A)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest (A)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Would anyone trade our 3rd round pick to WAS for Dwayne Haskins?

I'd give it a shot. 

No. We definitely need our top 3 picks this year. I’m thinking OG, DT (3-tech), and CB with the top 3 rounds (in any order depending on how the board falls). Not a huge fan of Haskins, but would possibly offer one of our 4ths. He can sit and learn behind Kirk. I believe Cousins will be extended whether some of us like it or not; I’m neutral. 

19 hours ago, swede700 said:

I moved around a lot this time...

Round 2 Pick 3 (DET): Josh Jones, OT, Houston (A+)
Round 2 Pick 10 (JAX): Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU (A)
Round 3 Pick 5 (CAR): Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26 (CLE): Lucas Niang, OT, TCU (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (CINN): Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 7 (CAR): Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 18 (PITT): Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee (A+)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Matt Hennessy, C, Temple (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (CINN): Jeremy Chinn, FS/SS, Southern Illinois (A)
Round 5 Pick 31 (K.C.): Sean Pollard, OG, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 26: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4 (NYG): K'Von Wallace, FS/SS, Clemson (A)
Round 7 Pick 25: TJ Brunson, OLB, South Carolina (A)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest (A)

Wow! Ton of picks. I try to avoid all the trades as they seem so unrealistic. But I definitely understand the ‘wth, let’s see just for the fun ‘mentality. I don’t know your final grade on this mock, but if this happened in ‘real’ life, I’d be ecstatic. A+ draft, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

No. We definitely need our top 3 picks this year. I’m thinking OG, DT (3-tech), and CB with the top 3 rounds (in any order depending on how the board falls). Not a huge fan of Haskins, but would possibly offer one of our 4ths. He can sit and learn behind Kirk. I believe Cousins will be extended whether some of us like it or not; I’m neutral. 

I'm of the opinion that we are not winning a Super Bowl with Cousins unless we put the deepest, most talented team in the NFL around him. I do not feel we do that with our current cap situation. As such, my preference would be to make it known that Cousins won't be back in 2021, and start reloading for that. I'd flip a 3rd for Haskins and still consider taking a QB in the first couple of rounds. I'd use the cap savings to put together a better team in 2021 and beyond, and use the cheap rookie contract to our advantage. 

But what I'd prefer, and what is going to happen are two different things haha.

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm of the opinion that we are not winning a Super Bowl with Cousins unless we put the deepest, most talented team in the NFL around him. I do not feel we do that with our current cap situation. As such, my preference would be to make it known that Cousins won't be back in 2021, and start reloading for that. I'd flip a 3rd for Haskins and still consider taking a QB in the first couple of rounds. I'd use the cap savings to put together a better team in 2021 and beyond, and use the cheap rookie contract to our advantage. 

But what I'd prefer, and what is going to happen are two different things haha.

Oh, I agree. A 3rd for a potential QB of the future is a small price to pay. Add the savings Haskins would afford, the Potential trade looks much more enticing. Again, not sure what I think about Haskins, but if we decide to move away from Cousins, this could be a decent strategy. I’m always on the fence with Cousins, but ultimately, you are probably right. We may never reach the Super Bowl with our strapped financial situation and average -slightly Above average, expensive QB. 

• Like 1

This is what I got for a Vikings mock draft with me doing all the picks for all the teams and going off my rankings.  Not completely sure of the comp picks but got them off a site and not sure the Vikings actually have that many or not.  Not a huge fan of it, get no real OG which is an issue but get a steal in Epenesa after he drops with the poor combine showing.  Clarke I consider a safety but could be a big corner and maybe Rhodes moves to safety.  The DT spot not a huge fan of waiting till that late but Landers has rare penetration ability as a smaller DT and Benito has some quickness.  Also would rather get a QB earlier but not sure they will be allowed to do it, and with Johnson not running at the combine, unless he throws down a great 40 I bet he could drop a little in the draft and could be a fine pickup 4th or 5th round.

1st
25. Minnesota  - AJ Epenesa Iowa JR DE

2nd
57. Minnesota  - Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT

3rd
89. Minnesota - Michael Ojemudia Iowa RS SR CB

4th
128. Minnesota- Tyler Johnson Minnesota SR WR
*138. Minnesota - Nevelle Clarke UCF RS SR CB/S

6th
205. Minnesota- Robert Landers Ohio State SR DT/DE  

7th
240. Minnesota-  Benito Jones Ole Miss SR DT
*253. Minnesota - Khalil Tate Arizona SR QB
*254. Minnesota - John Houston USC RS SR LB

This was done on a draft simulator.  More value but not sure it is accurate based on what players were around at what points.   Not a huge Delpit fan, but if he was indeed injured most of this season maybe that is why he did not look like himself, but if he is there and other quality OL are not one almost has to take him.  Alex Taylor I would like as a project OT, even though not sure we need more of them but his wingspan is crazy impressive.  Getting Minnesota players might be standard issue but both Johnson and Coughlin fill needs, especially if Coughlin could become a rush DE which I think he could or he could be a standup linebacker with his speed.

1st
Grant Delpit LSU S

2nd 
Justin Madubuike Texas A&M DT

3rd
Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin C/OG

4th
Chase Claypool Notre Dame WR

6th
Josiah Scott Michigan State CB

7th
Alex Taylor South Carolina State OT
Carter Coughlin Minnesota DE/OLB

Will be curious what happens, it is crazy how many starters are potentially all going to be gone, I count 8 out of 22 starting players, 24 total including kickers.  I have Eric Wilson in there because he started late in the season and really is a better option than Gedeon and is best for the defense overall.  PS no real big time FB prospects as far as I can tell in this years draft either, and we got rid of Blasingame and now he is a potential starter on the Titans.

Starting players
Everson Griffen DE
Trae Waynes CB
Anthony Harris S
Britton Colquitt P
Dan Bailey K
Eric Wilson LB
CJ Ham FB
Mac Alexander Nickle

Key backups
Stephen Weatherly DE
Rashod Hill OT
Jayron Kearse S
Sean Mannion QB
Laquon Treadwell WR

Curious what their plans are for Oli Udoh, nice project OT but what can Hill and have Udoh be that guy?  He is a RT though and so is O'Neill unless they think O'Neill is such a fine athlete he could play LT and I think maybe.  And what are their plans for Aviante Collins, he does not have a build of a OT but fits the profile athletically but might not be strong enough for OG.

The more I look at it really, OG makes a lot more sense in the draft unless they are straight up cutting Reiff.  And sadly there are better OT prospects on the higher end of things than OG prospects.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d rather trade our 3rd for Josh Rosen, tbh.  

I thought about that, but he has been flat awful honestly in the NFL and I hated his guts coming out of college because he is a loser, was in college and has been in the NFL.  Horrible body language and is just an odd kid I find and is clearly at this point crazy over hyped and is terrible when he gets pressured.  Making a play on Marcus Mariota would make more sense and he could be pretty cheap possibly and a decent backup to Kirk this year compared to Mannion, but who knows maybe Mariota would command a lot of cash we do not have.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d rather trade our 3rd for Josh Rosen, tbh.  

Can I ask why? It seems like Haskins at least showed some signs of progress over the course of his season whereas I don't know that Rosen has even shown a glimmer of hope he can play at the NFL level. I don't think either are amazing, but at the very least at least Haskins seems like more of an unknown.

9 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Can I ask why? It seems like Haskins at least showed some signs of progress over the course of his season whereas I don't know that Rosen has even shown a glimmer of hope he can play at the NFL level. I don't think either are amazing, but at the very least at least Haskins seems like more of an unknown.

Because I believe Rosen to be the better QB. He’s a more anticipatory thrower, I think he’s better with ball placement, he’s better in the pocket and at escaping. 

Ultimately I would still evaluate both QBs based on the college game, and how I saw them as prospects. As I still see them as such. And Rosen was a far superior prospect, IMO.

Josh Rosen is not a team player, not a leader.  He has all the physical skill in the world for the position, but want no part of him on the Vikings . . . that tiger ain't changing his stripes.

Haskins would be interesting, but he hasn't been on the field long enough to know what kind of guy ya got.  Heck, if that's the case, go get Gardner Minshew who we should've drafted last year instead of signing Browning to that ridiculous FA deal.  

• Like 1