2020 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Then we should be talking about resigning Cousins.

If he will resign for less money and drop the no trade clause...then yes.  The Vikings need moolah to build an offensive line that will actually help him.

30 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If he will resign for less money and drop the no trade clause...then yes.  The Vikings need moolah to build an offensive line that will actually help him.

I guess less money would be great for the vikings if he’s willing but why would a guy who put up 26/6 take a paycut?  He has certainly earned his money, we haven’t seen those kind of numbers for north of a decade here.  I would be ecstatic if we could sign Cousins to an extension at $28m AAV. 

It just seems really odd that Vikings fans want to pinch pennies on the QB position with the lack of luck we’ve had with QBs for seemingly forever.  It would be a completely different story if Cousins had played poorly enough for us to earn a Top-5 draft pick and we had a legitimate chance to land one of the top guys. 

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Duff Man said:

we haven’t seen those kind of numbers for north of a decade here.

Cousins wasn’t brought in to produce numbers, he was brought in to produce wins. And in two years we haven’t gotten any better results than we’ve seen from the QBs who came before him. 

The argument against re-signing Cousins is that while Cousins is a good QB, he’s not the level of QB who can mask the deficiencies of the team. And when you’re taking up ~15% of the salary cap, your play needs to help make up for the areas the team is not able to adequately address. 

If Cousins needs a strong offensive line, dynamic receiving options, and good running game, and a controlling defense to succeed and win games, then he’s not worth a lofty contract. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I guess less money would be great for the vikings if he’s willing but why would a guy who put up 26/6 take a paycut?  He has certainly earned his money, we haven’t seen those kind of numbers for north of a decade here.  I would be ecstatic if we could sign Cousins to an extension at $28m AAV. 

It just seems really odd that Vikings fans want to pinch pennies on the QB position with the lack of luck we’ve had with QBs for seemingly forever.  It would be a completely different story if Cousins had played poorly enough for us to earn a Top-5 draft pick and we had a legitimate chance to land one of the top guys. 

The way I think of it, we are "stuck" with Cousins for this coming season.  I don't mean to use the word "stuck" as a pejorative.  I appreciate Cousins' statistical achievements, but that hasn't yet translated into why he was originally signed...wins...and championships.  He has proven to be a fine quarterback, but not that special quarterback that can lift the play of teammates and cover deficiencies.  If anything, his presence on the team has magnified the deficiencies in the offensive line as well as in receiving options after Thielen, Diggs and Cook.  Therefore, Cousins needs better players around him in order to win more games and compete for a championship.

The philosophy of the Vikings front office has been to try to hit gold in the mid and lower rounds of the draft and by signing mediocre and journeyman free agents, with one or two major "splashes" over the years.  I am afraid, given the cap situation, if Cousins is extended to another contract like the one he's playing on now, the Vikings will certainly not achieve any more success than they did this past season, with the greater likelihood of regressing to a .500 team.

Personally, with the right numbers, I would extend Cousins and hope that Spielman can produce in the draft and that some of the younger players drafted last year and the year before can step up and produce at a high level.  Maybe with the right numbers, some of the defensive players that are FA's could be resigned...especially Harris. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins wasn’t brought in to produce numbers, he was brought in to produce wins. And in two years we haven’t gotten any better results than we’ve seen from the QBs who came before him. 

The argument against re-signing Cousins is that while Cousins is a good QB, he’s not the level of QB who can mask the deficiencies of the team. And when you’re taking up ~15% of the salary cap, your play needs to help make up for the areas the team is not able to adequately address. 

If Cousins needs a strong offensive line, dynamic receiving options, and good running game, and a controlling defense to succeed and win games, then he’s not worth a lofty contract. 

You have to get so lucky to find those QB's. I'm not sure I trust Spielman to ever be able to do that.

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

You have to get so lucky to find those QB's. I'm not sure I trust Spielman to ever be able to do that.

I don’t know if it’s trust, or not, but the Vikings have never really been in a position to draft one of those QBs, or a QB who’s touted as such.

Brady and Wilson are probably the only 2 quarterbacks to fit that mold who were taken outside of the 1st round. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know if it’s trust, or not, but the Vikings have never really been in a position to draft one of those QBs, or a QB who’s touted as such.

Brady and Wilson are probably the only 2 quarterbacks to fit that mold who were taken outside of the 1st round. 

At the same time, how many attempts has Spielman had at the QB position? Ponder, Teddy, Bradford, Cousins. To me that feels unprecedented to have spent so many valuable resources at the most important position yet still survive to get another crack at it.

• Like 1

i wish there was an alternate universe where we drafted lamar jackson instead of mike hughes. if cousins took more money and went to the jets that might've happened too.

ozzie newsome really killed that draft. traded up to get lamar at 32 and then drafted orlando brown and mark andrews in the third round. 

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At the same time, how many attempts has Spielman had at the QB position? Ponder, Teddy, Bradford, Cousins. To me that feels unprecedented to have spent so many valuable resources at the most important position yet still survive to get another crack at it.

Cousins hasn't been a failure, and I don't know how or why you hold injuries against the GM. Ponder was an absolute miss, but I don't know another GM that has been bit that hard by injuries at the most important position.

• Like 2