2020 Draft Talk

swede700

On 3/23/2020 at 6:29 PM, meixdaddy_10 said:

I could easily see the 49ers trading down from 13. They have their other 1st Rd pick and then nothing until Rd 5, they likely want more ammo. If Kinlaw is still on the board then, we could give up a pick or 2 to jump Tampa for him. Maybe one of the top OTs or CBs is still on the board then and we jump up. Or maybe Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb are on the board and we want to get that talent (not my preferred choice of position to jump up for).

Their pick is worth 1150 points, we would have to trade quite a bit to move up that far.  would it be worth it?  We have too many needs imho.  Our picks are worth: 1st (22nd overall) 780 pts, (25th) 720 pts, (58th) 320 pts, (84th) 145 pts, (105th) 84 pts, (132nd) 40 pts, (155th) 28.2 pts, (201st) 9.8 pts, (205th) 8.2 pts, all 3 of our 7th round picks are worth 1 pt each.  So, we'd have to give up our earlier 1st, 2nd, 4th, and earliest 6th: two likely starters?  Might be worth it if a major talent fell.

19 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Their pick is worth 1150 points, we would have to trade quite a bit to move up that far.  would it be worth it?  We have too many needs imho.  Our picks are worth: 1st (22nd overall) 780 pts, (25th) 720 pts, (58th) 320 pts, (84th) 145 pts, (105th) 84 pts, (132nd) 40 pts, (155th) 28.2 pts, (201st) 9.8 pts, (205th) 8.2 pts, all 3 of our 7th round picks are worth 1 pt each.  So, we'd have to give up our earlier 1st, 2nd, 4th, and earliest 6th: two likely starters?  Might be worth it if a major talent fell.

I mean if the 9ers we're really wanting to pick up a second, they may just do it for 22 and 58. Every year there are trades that seem like they came cheap, but if the 9ers don't have anyone sitting there that they are in love with they could value having 3 picks in the top 60.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:29 PM, meixdaddy_10 said:

I could easily see the 49ers trading down from 13. They have their other 1st Rd pick and then nothing until Rd 5, they likely want more ammo. If Kinlaw is still on the board then, we could give up a pick or 2 to jump Tampa for him. Maybe one of the top OTs or CBs is still on the board then and we jump up. Or maybe Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb are on the board and we want to get that talent (not my preferred choice of position to jump up for).

I think it's FAR more likely they'd trade down from 30 then it is to trade down from 13.  First off, if a team is trading up, who are they trading up for?  Likely the top 3 QBs are off the board, and given where the FA QB dominoes have fallen it seems unlikely that a team is moving up for a QB, i.e. Jordan Love.  Looking at the teams currently behind the 49ers, you've got the Buccaneers (OT, RB, and IOL), Broncos (WR, CB, and OT), Falcons (CB, IDL, and EDGE), and Cowboys (CB, EDGE, and S) are picking.  That likely means the 49ers are likely jumping down at least a tier (if not two) by moving down from 13 to 22.  Based purely on the TVC, the Vikings would likely need to give up their SRP and 4th round picks this year.  If you're the 49ers and you've got at least one of the big 4 OTs or Jerry Jeudy/CeeDee Lamb on the board, do you pass on them to move back to 23 where you're definitely not getting one of the top tackles and probably looking at WR4 at best.  Or you move back from 30 where the value is pretty well set based on previous drafts.  Move back into the early 2nd round from a team looking to secure that 5th year option.

It's usually not a smart move to move back from a premium spot without there being some sort of premium offered up as part of a trade.  A late SRP isn't my idea of a premium.

58 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean if the 9ers we're really wanting to pick up a second, they may just do it for 22 and 58. Every year there are trades that seem like they came cheap, but if the 9ers don't have anyone sitting there that they are in love with they could value having 3 picks in the top 60.

Except this isn't a situation like Seattle in 2018 when they chose 18th overall, and then weren't picking again until 120.  The 49ers pick again at 31.  That's the trade down pick if there's to be one IMO.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except this isn't a situation like Seattle in 2018 when they chose 18th overall, and then weren't picking again until 120.  The 49ers pick again at 31.  That's the trade down pick if there's to be one IMO.

All depends on how they view the board. If there's nobody they're enamored with at 13 they can trade back a bit and pick up a second in a good draft while they're at it.

Anybody else see a trade down happening? There seems to be a lot of quality players that fit our needs in this draft, I'd hate to see us reach on a player at 22 or 25. I would much rather trade back and get some extra picks. I think we need as many young players as we can get to come in and compete.  

3 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

Anybody else see a trade down happening? There seems to be a lot of quality players that fit our needs in this draft, I'd hate to see us reach on a player at 22 or 25. I would much rather trade back and get some extra picks. I think we need as many young players as we can get to come in and compete.  

I'd imagine that they'll trade back with at least 1 of the picks.

6 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

I’d rather have a talented roster than a diluted one. Take the best trench players or CB at 22 and 25 and see what you can do to move some of the excess for better picks.

Just seems like it’s become cliche every year to hear that it’s a deep draft and trading down should be considered as the best option. This team needs starters, not roster fillers, which is different compared to the last couple of years.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d rather have a talented roster than a diluted one. Take the best trench players or CB at 22 and 25 and see what you can do to move some of the excess for better picks.

Just seems like it’s become cliche every year to hear that it’s a deep draft and trading down should be considered as the best option. This team needs starters, not roster fillers, which is different compared to the last couple of years.

While I agree with the trench players I don't believe trading down will dilute the roster but maybe make it more competitive. The Vikings roster seems stuck between a rebuild and a win now. If a rebuild is coming, it might be better to get ahead while you can buy adding more younger players for coaches to develop. I guess it really comes down to how the board plays out though. 

8 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

While I agree with the trench players I don't believe trading down will dilute the roster but maybe make it more competitive. The Vikings roster seems stuck between a rebuild and a win now. If a rebuild is coming, it might be better to get ahead while you can buy adding more younger players for coaches to develop. I guess it really comes down to how the board plays out though. 

I think extending Kirk to save money now shows the team isn’t anywhere near having a rebuild mindset.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I think extending Kirk to save money now shows the team isn’t anywhere near having a rebuild mindset.

I don’t think it shows one way or the other. They needed additional cap to help round out the roster, aren’t going to be in a position to address the QB situation this year, and the Cousins deal will end at a point where they can address the QB position any time in the next three years. 

• Like 1

The draft network has a pretty realistic sim. I went heavy OL. 

Josh Jones

, OT

Houston

Yetur Gross-Matos

, EDGE

Penn State

Matt Hennessy

, IOL

Temple

Davon Hamilton

, IDL

Ohio State

Ben Bartch

, OT

St. John

Gabriel Davis

, WR

UCF

Javelin Guidry

, CB

Utah

Jauan Jennings

, WR

Tennessee

Dane Jackson

, CB

Pittsburgh

Davion Taylor

, LB

Colorado

Garrett Marino

, IDL

UAB

Lawrence Cager

, WR

Georgia

I think the Vikings could come away with a steal at QB in the draft. 

I have a feeling that the QBs outside of Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are going to see significant falls on draft day. No pro days, no private workouts, no team visits? Not sure I see team investing a high pick on a QB without the ability to vet them like they’ve been able to do in the past. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Do you think the Vikings really had a choice in that?? Both Zimmer and Spielman went all in on Cousins if they didn't extend him it would probably look like they gave up on him. I just hope they use a draft pick on a QB to develop, doesn't seem like the Vikings have a plan B if Cousins goes down or doesn't work out.