2020 Draft Talk

swede700

I have Jeff Okudah, CJ Henderson, A.J. Terrell, and Cameron Dantzler ranked significantly higher than the rest of the CBs.  The next group would be Jaylon Johnson, Jeff Gladney, Trevon Diggs, Kristian Fulton, Bryce Hall, Damon Arnette, and Amik Robertson (nickel) in that order.  I’m not really a huge fan of Fulton though either because he plays very stiff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

To be fair Ja’Marr Chase was already on the roster in 2018 even though he only saw a limited amount of snaps.  In 2018 Justin Jefferson only had 875 yards and 6 touchdowns and that was with Joe Burrow at QB.  That’s not overly impressive to me.  I haven’t look at all of the LSU stats from the past two years, but it almost looks to me like once Ja’Marr Chase was made a starter then the entire offense took off.

Joe burrow in 2018 wasn’t the joe burrow of 2019 though. 

13 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Ok.  I’ve seen different reputable sites posting different numbers so there might be slight discrepancy between what different people times him at.  Either way though he is still an excellent route runner.  Even if he did run a 4.54 that still puts his floor where I already had it comparing him to Sidney Rice who ran a 4.53 at his pro day.  I think even at that floor he could be a #1 WR.

Not just the straight line speed though. His explosion metrics are bad, his short area quickness score is also bad. I’m usually not one to harp on athletic testing scores but to me there’s a cut off number, and anything above it is playable. He doesn’t meet those cut off points and just makes it incredibly harder to project success at the nfl level. 

2 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I've done a lot of mock drafts and Kenneth Murray always falls to 22.

Any interest there?

He may be a true BPA, but that's one of the few spots on the team where we are set. It would be a luxury pick, and we unfortunately don't have the ability to choose true BPA this year.

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I would be disappointed with so many needs on the team. 

Said this probably 600 times on this forum, but I would be 100% disappointed if we target players because of need outside of QB.

on that note, Murray would be a fair pick around 22. But my interest is still not that high with him with the other players around that should still be available around that pick.

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Said this probably 600 times on this forum, but I would be 100% disappointed if we target players because of need outside of QB.

on that note, Murray would be a fair pick around 22. But my interest is still not that high with him with the other players around that should still be available around that pick.

We have to go BPA at a position of need, which shouldn't be hard because we have a multitude of needs. QB, LB, TE, RB, and Safety are probably the only positions I wouldn't touch in the first 2 rounds no matter what as things stand now.

10 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I could see us going safety, even in the 1st. 

Both our starters are getting up there in age (28/31), and there should be good value there if Delpit McKinney or Winfield is there. 

Winfield is the only one I would be okay with because I think he's is versatile enough to play slot consistently. I don't see us making that pick either. Spielman and Zimmer are trying to save their jobs. Spending a first round pick on a position that is currently a position of strength with all the holes on this team would likely mean they are drafting someone that will benefit the new coaching and front office staff next year.

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

We have to go BPA at a position of need, which shouldn't be hard because we have a multitude of needs. QB, LB, TE, RB, and Safety are probably the only positions I wouldn't touch in the first 2 rounds no matter what as things stand now.

To be fair, QB is probably out. There is no reason to even look at the QB’s available on the first round, after that it’s probably game on if someone is there. Just don’t see a top guy falling.

TE, there just isn’t anybody there to really target round 1. 

RB, I absolutely would not be out on. A lot will depend on Cook coming back. Preferably I would rather wait until next year for that. Class is loaded tho. 

LB, I’m never out on. Just don’t see the value actually going to be there in the first round. 

BPA at a position of need is something to be looked at. But if there is a weird slide of someone like Tua, I wouldn’t be against drafting him if he’s cleared on our medicals. Will it happen? Probably not. But you need to take the most talented player you can possibly take or you end up with Treadwells.

30 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be fair, QB is probably out. There is no reason to even look at the QB’s available on the first round, after that it’s probably game on if someone is there. Just don’t see a top guy falling.

TE, there just isn’t anybody there to really target round 1. 

RB, I absolutely would not be out on. A lot will depend on Cook coming back. Preferably I would rather wait until next year for that. Class is loaded tho. 

LB, I’m never out on. Just don’t see the value actually going to be there in the first round. 

BPA at a position of need is something to be looked at. But if there is a weird slide of someone like Tua, I wouldn’t be against drafting him if he’s cleared on our medicals. Will it happen? Probably not. But you need to take the most talented player you can possibly take or you end up with Treadwells.

Yes if Tua is there I would personally take him, but with Spielman and Zimmer not having long term contracts taking a 1st round quarterback when we're stuck with Cousins for a minimum of 2 years would be a bad pick.

I think I would puke if we took a first round running back. I think that would be the worst pick for this team outside of a kicker or punter in the first round. We have 2 more than capable backs and backs are probably the easiest position to find competent starters.

And yes, you don't want to have a bad reach, but if Kenneth Murray is your 18th ranked player, JK Dobbins is your 20th ranked player, and Josh Jones is your 22nd ranked player, you should take Jones. Positional value and need have to factor into draft picks. We are actually fortunate to have enough needs where we should have somebody ranked highly sitting there for us that plays at one of those many positions.

Edited by vikestyle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Winfield is the only one I would be okay with because I think he's is versatile enough to play slot consistently. I don't see us making that pick either. Spielman and Zimmer are trying to save their jobs. Spending a first round pick on a position that is currently a position of strength with all the holes on this team would likely mean they are drafting someone that will benefit the new coaching and front office staff next year.

If Harris is traded, safety will be a position of need.  So, if The Vikings choose an OL or CB at #22, I could see them possibly taking Winfield at 25, unless there's a DE or WR that absoluely blow the others away.  But, I'd rather not choose the WR or safety in The 1st, if we can get 2 of 3 out of OL, CB, and DE from among the top players of each.  Winfield should fall to the top of The 2nd.  Maybe we could trade up to pluck him?

• Like 1

Trying to think outside the box:

If Cousins need an upgraded OL, what if we used both 1st round picks on OL, while still not sacrificing BPA

Would you be pleased or displeased with the selection of Andrew Thomas (#22) and Austin Jackson (#25), with the game plan that both are going to be in the starting OL unit somewhere (along with BO and Bradbury, maybe Reiff as well).

Edited by CriminalMind