2020 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

First off, we have no need at QB. And WR’s are just like RB’s. There are a lot of them in the later rounds. 

Again, tell me what rounds Diggs and Thielen were in? Much bigger needs ( I believe anyway ) then WR. DT, DE, CB, and O-line.

Agree to an extent, I just don't believe that WR is a huge need...it's certainly a need, but it's not an extremely high need based on the team's QB style (which is to spread the ball around) and the offensive scheme.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agree to an extent, I just don't believe that WR is a huge need...it's certainly a need, but it's not an extremely high need based on the team's QB style (which is to spread the ball around) and the offensive scheme.  

I think we need a specific type, especially with Diggs gone. Need someone who can stretch the field from the boundary. Thielen can do it all and Johnson is pretty limited as a possession receiver. Double Thielen and the passing attack shuts down. 

I agree that WR is not a huge need. Our offense is run based scheme. We can expect a jump in production from Bisi Johnson, Irv Smith and possibly even Chad Beebe. Adding Sharpe I think will be an underrated move. With that said I still think we add 1 or maybe 2 WR in this draft. I'm fine with taking a WR as long as its day 2 or later. 

I think it comes down to the value of other positions at #25 (as I don't see it as an option at #22).  If the WR is the best value at #25 and there's no trade partner to trade down with, then I could certainly see Rick taking a WR at #25.  That's the only scenario where I see it happening though.   Otherwise, it's probably a RD 2 or 3 pick.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

I agree that WR is not a huge need. Our offense is run based scheme. We can expect a jump in production from Bisi Johnson, Irv Smith and possibly even Chad Beebe. Adding Sharpe I think will be an underrated move. With that said I still think we add 1 or maybe 2 WR in this draft. I'm fine with taking a WR as long as its day 2 or later. 

Am I the only one that has zero optimism for Beebe in the long or short term?

1 minute ago, NoDakViking said:

Am I the only one that has zero optimism for Beebe in the long or short term?

There is no risk from him, if he does not work out who cares.  They have Bisi Johnson who achieved wild success last year, Tajae Sharpe is solid, Alexander Hollins has some potential and Thielen is a Pro bowler.  So if they can get some production from those first three Beebe would just be added to it.  

If Sharpe and Thielen can be the starters then Johnson as the 3rd and Beebe and or Hollins as the 4th.  It should really not be bad but that is only if Sharpe can become a decent 2nd receiver and Thielen can be healthy all season.  Only negative about the entire WR core is that none of those receivers are good at special teams returning and if they do draft a WR 2nd or 3rd round they better be able to punt and kick return.

DE, OG CB and maybe OT are the absolute biggest needs for the team.  If a great WR drops they take them but I doubt it any drop.

2 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

I thought even with Diggs they needed to probably pick a WR in the 3rd or 4th. I think their WR hole is bigger than anything other than maybe QB. They have 1 starting caliber WR. 

WR is definitely not a bigger hole than DT and OL.  I think they will for sure take 1 WR in the first 3 rounds but don’t see a reason to take 2 when they have other holes to fill.

Shamar Stephen is not a good pass rusher. Solid run defender, but we severely need a DT that can collapse pockets right now. 

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

There is no risk from him, if he does not work out who cares.  They have Bisi Johnson who achieved wild success last year, Tajae Sharpe is solid, Alexander Hollins has some potential and Thielen is a Pro bowler.  So if they can get some production from those first three Beebe would just be added to it.  

If Sharpe and Thielen can be the starters then Johnson as the 3rd and Beebe and or Hollins as the 4th.  It should really not be bad but that is only if Sharpe can become a decent 2nd receiver and Thielen can be healthy all season.  Only negative about the entire WR core is that none of those receivers are good at special teams returning and if they do draft a WR 2nd or 3rd round they better be able to punt and kick return.

DE, OG CB and maybe OT are the absolute biggest needs for the team.  If a great WR drops they take them but I doubt it any drop.

I agree with the low risk but I won't hold out hope he contributes or even makes the roster.  I think they go WR with their comp 3rd after addressing DT, CB, and OT or DE depending on how the board falls. Not sure which mid round WR would complement our current set but I think they would like Bryan Edwards or Tyler Johnson 

Just now, NoDakViking said:

I agree with the low risk but I won't hold out hope he contributes or even makes the roster.  I think they go WR with their comp 3rd after addressing DT, CB, and OT or DE depending on how the board falls. Not sure which mid round WR would complement our current set but I think they would like Bryan Edwards or Tyler Johnson 

I would love the size of Bryan Edwards, that kid had a legit senior year, and Tyler Johnson would be hard to go against such a great local player who is wonderful work ethic.

But the best two return men at WR in the draft are Jalen Reagor and Lynn Bowden Jr.  So taking them I either of them I would love and really they are the best return guys regardless of position.  Reagor could be gone by the 2nd round but Bowden could fall even though I have him as a 2nd round pick he could drop and could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

WR is definitely not a bigger hole than DT and OL.  I think they will for sure take 1 WR in the first 3 rounds but don’t see a reason to take 2 when they have other holes to fill.

Shamar Stephen is not a good pass rusher. Solid run defender, but we severely need a DT that can collapse pockets right now. 

I agree. I like Ross Blacklock and Justin Madubuike in this draft. Would love to draft a OT at 22, ( Austin Jackson or Josh Jones) Yetur Gross-Matos at 25 and trade our 2nd, 4th and a 6th or 7th to trade up for Blacklock or Madubuike. To me, that would be the perfect start to this draft. I would take a CB and WR in the 3rd.

3 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Again I am going to disagree. I think they could definitely use a pass rushing 3 tech but there really isn't a lot of room for them on the roster. 

I feel like people are forgetting how crippling not having talented wide outs can be. Go watch the Eagles offense or the Patriots offense last year. I get that the Vikings are a run first team but you can't run out an offense with Thielen, Bisi, Sharpe and a late round WR. 

Watts flashed year, Johnson had moments, and Pierce was just signed.  Stephen drives me nuts and I wish they didn't resign him to the money they did last year and I've been wanting a more pass rushing tackle for a while but it doesn't seem to be that high of a priority for the team. 

Edited by byuvike88

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think it comes down to the value of other positions at #25 (as I don't see it as an option at #22).  If the WR is the best value at #25 and there's no trade partner to trade down with, then I could certainly see Rick taking a WR at #25.  That's the only scenario where I see it happening though.   Otherwise, it's probably a RD 2 or 3 pick.  

"Best value"

Best value to any given team, or best value to a run first offense like Minny.

A WR in the 1st round, will likely never be the best value from a Viking asset utilization stand point... Regardless of the possible selection.

Late 2nd or early 3rd for WR is where asset utilization and value is close to equal IMO

Edited by CriminalMind

1 minute ago, joru1000 said:

Yeah, figured as much after the trade.

Can only imagine older Diggs has been badmouthing the team to younger Diggs for a year now.

If Diggs is the best CB on the board, I’d hope they take him. Playing WR is much different than playing CB on a Zimmer led team. If you’re talented and willing to put in work, youll be successful. Even Waynes was okay but ended up with a $14 million contract from another team. 

Seems like Stefons issue was usage and the QB, those issues shouldn’t impact playing CB.

You would think Stefon would be a bit more grateful considering he fell to round five, the Vikes took a chance, and he ended up getting a nice contract extension from the team that drafted him. Diggs didn’t have to sign it.