2020 Draft Talk

swede700

I haven’t spent a ton time with this years draft prospects but it looks like a good really good class to need a press CB and 3T DT.

This years OL class looks really weak however, so that’s somewhat concerning. Not really any good OG options but fairly deep if you need a Center. There’s a few good Tackle prospects if they can make it to 22/25, otherwise, not much to be impressed with there either. 

I hope they can come away with a top press CB and LT in round one and add to the DL by round two. Not really interested in a high pick at WR.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Again I am going to disagree. I think they could definitely use a pass rushing 3 tech but there really isn't a lot of room for them on the roster. 

I feel like people are forgetting how crippling not having talented wide outs can be. Go watch the Eagles offense or the Patriots offense last year. I get that the Vikings are a run first team but you can't run out an offense with Thielen, Bisi, Sharpe and a late round WR. 

Watts flashed year, Johnson had moments, and Pierce was just signed.  Stephen drives me nuts and I wish they didn't resign him to the money they did last year and I've been wanting a more pass rushing tackle for a while but it doesn't seem to be that high of a priority for the team. 

There is definitely room for a pass rushing 3T on the roster. 

And you realize pierce plays NT right? 

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

There is definitely room for a pass rushing 3T on the roster. 

And you realize pierce plays NT right? 

Agreed. Keep 5 DTs, which is fairly consistent for Zimmer.

NT - Pierce, Watts 

UT - Rookie, Stephen, Johnson 

If you like four DTs, there is potential to cut Stephen and lean more on Johnson.

There isn’t a single DL that can penetrate from the interior, except for Odingobo, who is expected to get Griffens reps at DE. Unless Griffen returns, a penetrating DT is a must. And I’m tired of waiting on Holmes and Hercules.

I guess I might be the only one that doesn't understand the Jeff Gladney 1st round love.

I think he's a good player, but he just has ceiling limitations due to his lack of height, length and size. He fights hard, but he gets bullied by bigger receivers and that's only going to get worst at the NFL level. I think he's a really solid 2nd round choice and will probably live as a NFL slot corner, but if I'm a team with a late first (or two like the vikings), I'm thinking more long term and ceiling with those picks. My CB rankings right now for the Vikings (Diggs off the board for the Vikings):

1. Okudah (high first)

2. Henderson (mid first)

3. Fulton (mid first)

4. Terrell (late 1st/early 2nd)

5. Gladney (2nd)

6. Igbinoghene - only been a cb for 2 years, just love his potential and physical traits (2nd)

7. Jaylon Johnson (2nd)

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I guess I might be the only one that doesn't understand the Jeff Gladney 1st round love.

I think he's a good player, but he just has ceiling limitations due to his lack of height, length and size. He fights hard, but he gets bullied by bigger receivers and that's only going to get worst at the NFL level. I think he's a really solid 2nd round choice and will probably live as a NFL slot corner, but if I'm a team with a late first (or two like the vikings), I'm thinking more long term and ceiling with those picks. My CB rankings right now for the Vikings (Diggs off the board for the Vikings):

1. Okudah (high first)

2. Henderson (mid first)

3. Fulton (mid first)

5. Gladney (2nd)

6. Igbinoghene - only been a cb for 2 years, just love his potential and physical traits (2nd)

7. Jaylon Johnson (2nd)

I’d prefer some of the taller CBs as well. I’d have no issues with Gladney settling into the slot and moving out to boundary in 2 CB sets. Chris Harris has had a great career despite being 5-10. Is still take him in the late first.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m wondering more and more if the team might double up on defensive backs in the 1st round. 

22 - Jeff Gladney. A physical press corner outside

25 - Antoine Winfield Jr. A smart and instinctive player who can jump in at nickel from day one. 

That would be foolish unless they trade Anthony Harris or are absolutely not going to sign him long term after this year.  The DE spot needs to be addressed with top line talent potentially just sitting there right for them to take, not sure Odenigbo is a starter at that spot, he is more a situational pass rusher and or DT on passing downs.  And obviously OG has to be address unless one wants Elflein starting again but to me it is DE and CB 1st round, if they pass on the DE it will be hard to get another great one like Epenesa or YGM.

Just now, battle2heaven said:

1. Okudah (high first)

2. Henderson (mid first)

3. Fulton (mid first)

5. Gladney (2nd)

7. Jaylon Johnson (2nd)

I think a lot of teams will be going CB in this draft and they would be lucky to get Gladney.  Ideally if Okudah drops because a team takes a QB that would be ideal because then it will drop the corners all down a little bit.  I would take Terrell and Henderson over Gladney but both will most likely be gone, Gladney has elite coverage ability and uses his hands as well as any CB arguably.  37 passes defended in his four year RS SR career, 26 in the last two seasons is impressive.  He is a fighter and is a super aggressive corner, I think he would be a great pickup.

Bryce Hall I would not mind 2nd round, if he did not get injured this past year he would have been a 1st round pick no doubt about it, his ball skills are amazing as well.  Igbinoghene I think is being overrated in this process, sure he has upside but has not been consistent throughout his entire career.  I also agree Trevon Diggs should be off the board for them considering what his brothers attitude was like, stinks because he is a good talented corner with a ton of upside as well but might be getting a bad rap because of what his brother did with all the passive aggressive stuff on Social media.  

Maybe it would be smart to pass on those top corners because honestly any of these guys could become fine starters in the NFL and all have a lot of ability and are not that far off of the guys ahead of them outside of Okudah.  Okudah is the only clear elite one, the rest are all kind of together in terms of their current ability.  

Amik Robertson La Tech JR
Tony Pride Jr Notre Dame JR
Myles Bryant Washington
Damon Arnette Ohio State
Michael Ojemudia Iowa RS
Essang Bassey Wake Forest
Nevelle Clarke UCF RS
Cameron Dantzler Miss State RS JR
AJ Green Ok State
Darnay Holmes UCLA RS JR

So maybe would be smart to wait till the 2nd and 3rd round if they like one of those guys a lot, and could include Jaylon Johnson in that group of guys who might slide to the 2nd or 3rd round potentially.

Then DT and DE would be the 1st round picks, because no OG is worth taking that high but maybe a OT if there.  Would not mind Gallimore at 25 and YGM or Epenesa at 22, that would be great and pass rush can be your best pass defense half the time anyway.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Bryce Hall I would not mind 2nd round, if he did not get injured this past year he would have been a 1st round pick no doubt about it, his ball skills are amazing as well. 

Bryce Hall intrigues me. But I just can't help but see him project as an elite safety whenever I watch him. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m wondering more and more if the team might double up on defensive backs in the 1st round. 

22 - Jeff Gladney. A physical press corner outside

25 - Antoine Winfield Jr. A smart and instinctive player who can jump in at nickel from day one. 

I would much prefer doubling up on OL to help Cousins out.

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

That sounds great but who in the world would that be outside of Josh Jones or Austin Jackson and even one of them could be gone so who is the 2nd OL?  YGM and Epenesa at points in this process were both top 15 picks, if they drop which they could it would be foolish not taking one of them.  

So, am I hearing that there are two camps forming as to what to do with the first round picks?  It seems as if one camp wants to go cornerback with both (or CB and 3TDT), while the second group wants to go OT and OG (or OT and WR). 

It is becoming clearer to me that the Vikings cannot possibly upgrade all the positions that are presently diminished by free agency.  So, I think that the priority should be to upgrade the offensive line as much as possible, and pray to God that the team can stitch together a cornerback group that won't be completely embarrassing.  But, we will not be able to maximize Cousins' talents until the line is stronger.  If they are spending all that money on him, they need to do a better job of protecting that investment. 

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

As the roster is currently constructed, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense. The RT position is set, both at starter and backup. Bradbury is going to get at least another year, and with Jones and Elflein on the roster the C position is set. Reiff isn’t going anywhere, so he’s either sticking at LT, or getting kicked inside to LG. Either way, one of those positions is locked in for this year. That leaves one spot on the left side, and RG. While I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kline get brought back, the team let him go because they obviously feel that someone (Samia?) can replace him. And if the team feels confident enough in that player to cut Kline, they aren’t going to use a 1st, or likely even a 2nd, on a guard for the right side. So, that realistically only leaves one spot on the left side that we’re likely going to see a starter drafted.  

Whereas the team lost three starters in the secondary, and probably only has one player on roster to adequately replace one of the three. I think it’s far more likely that we see DB get doubled up in the first than OL. 

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The DE spot needs to be addressed with top line talent potentially just sitting there right for them to take

Since Spielman got here in 2007 the Vikings have not selected a DE higher than the 3rd round, and they’ve been quite successful using that model. I wouldn’t expect them to change it now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So, am I hearing that there are two camps forming as to what to do with the first round picks?  It seems as if one camp wants to go cornerback with both (or CB and 3TDT), while the second group wants to go OT and OG (or OT and WR). 

It is becoming clearer to me that the Vikings cannot possibly upgrade all the positions that are presently diminished by free agency.  So, I think that the priority should be to upgrade the offensive line as much as possible, and pray to God that the team can stitch together a cornerback group that won't be completely embarrassing.  But, we will not be able to maximize Cousins' talents until the line is stronger.  If they are spending all that money on him, they need to do a better job of protecting that investment. 

I agree completely on that, everyone does but there is also the issue of value and are you over drafting a player or not.  The best interior OL in this draft could all be gone by the Vikings 2nd round pick potentially.  But does one over draft one of those guys in the 1st just to get them.  Like it has been brought up before, maybe trading out of that spot in the 1st round with one of the picks to get a higher 2nd rounder would be a great idea.

Still YGM and Epenesa are both a need and are both arguably the best value they could get at that position at that spot in the draft.  

They really need to act on Reiff and see what they will do with him, because if he is gone it is a given they go for a OT 1st round or 2nd round.  But if Reiff is gone then they have even more problems and another spot to try and fill.  I do not buy him moving to guard but that would be great if he could.  Josh Jones and Austin Jackson become priority #1 if Reiff is cut and or changes positions.  

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Since Spielman got here in 2007 the Vikings have not selected a DE higher than the 3rd round, and they’ve been quite successful using that model. I wouldn’t expect them to change it now.

True but I do not follow draft trends like that because at times they can be deceptive.  They had Jared Allen for 7 of those years and clearly Griffen started to develop in that time as well so clearly the DE spot was not a need.  They hit the jackpot with Danielle Hunter but that was luck, he should have been a 2nd rounder and I had him as a 2nd rounder or late 1st with how great he showed out at the combine.  Sure his sack production was low at LSU but the kid was a star but who would have guessed he would be the All Pro dominating force he has become.

Outside of Hunter, Griffen and getting Brian Robison their success drafting a DE is not that great.  Hit on one or two dudes and clearly one is set for multiple years combine that with Jared Allen as a FA.  Does not mean getting YGM or Epenesa would be a mistake, I think they would be absolutely foolish to pass on them if they dropped right in their laps.