2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Some random thoughts on draft positions

CB:  Given need and Zimmer’s affinity for the position I think CB is the most likely position to go round 1. I also expect another CB by round 5 (Troy Pride Jr. looks like a good value later)

LT:  If there is a top 5 LT, I think the team has to be tempted to pull the trigger in round 1.  I think the team wants to get rid of Reiff. And if O’Neill is being considered for LT, there is still Udoh and Hill for RT and Swing Tackle   So I could easily see passing on a Jones or Jackson and hound for a developmental LT. 

DE:  I think YGM would be a solid first round choice , and Epenesa has been mocked as well. but I have a feeling the team waits for a DE. With Odenigbo penciled in at RDE and the teams ability to develop mid- late round DEs I see the team going the Danielle Hunter route with athletic upside like Weaver, Zuniga, Betiku, or Robinson. 

DT:  Don’t know if there is a guy I really like at 25 besides Brown or Kinlaw, but would love the team to get a Gallimore, Blacklock, Madubuike with a tradeback or in round 2. IMO a pass rushing 3T would make the biggest impact on D. 

WR:  Personally I am not a fan of spending first round picks on WRs  and I would have it as 5th on the priority list. I wouldn’t mind a WR in round 2 if the value was too good to pass up, but there are so many WRs to like in the middle rounds that I would be happy to grab a couple of these guys:  Pittman, Edwards, Hill, Johnson, Peoples-Jones, Hamler, Jefferson, Claypooly ughh, Gandy/Golden. 

G:  I would love to get a plug and play LG and have that position locked down for 10 plus years ( and two of my favorite Vikings are McDaniel and Hutch), but I don’t see a guy who could do that it the first round. IDK, maybe Bredeson, Biadasz, Cushenberry, Jackson,  or Lemieux in 3-5?  

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

While I don’t think they’d do it, based on history, it is certainly an area of need. 

People said we should have let Griffen go last offseason because of how well Weatherly played. How’d Weatherly look this year? 

Odenigbo was a very effective rotational player, it certainly doesn’t hurt to leave him in that role if you find someone who projects as a better player.

And to play the contrarian role, what is Patterson’s track record with rookies? Since he got here with Zimmer the team has drafted Scott Crichton, Danielle Hunter, B.J. Dubose, Ifeadi Odenigbo, and Ade Aruna. Hunter is the only one in that list who had a decent rookie year. 

Since 2014 the Vikings have drafted 5 DE all of whom were drafted 3rd round or later. Of those 5 Patterson has gotten production from at least 3. Those being Odenigbo, Stephen, Weatherly and Hunter the obvious. While production may be limited in their rookie year you can't say they haven't developed into solid lineman. I think his track record is pretty solid. I don't believe DL has been a weakness for this team since Patterson took over. DE is not a round 1 need not arguing that we couldn't use more depth, maybe another project for Patterson in the later rounds.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWinfield26 said:

Since 2014 the Vikings have drafted 5 DE all of whom were drafted 3rd round or later. Of those 5 Patterson has gotten production from at least 3. Those being Odenigbo, Stephen, Weatherly and Hunter the obvious. While production may be limited in their rookie year you can't say they haven't developed into solid lineman. I think his track record is pretty solid. I don't believe DL has been a weakness for this team since Patterson took over. DE is not a round 1 need not arguing that we couldn't use more depth, maybe another project for Patterson in the later rounds.      

The Vikes are losing two DEs. That’s a big hit. I don’t think the Vikes have the luxury now of being able to draft and develop a player, they need an immediate impact player. There isn’t a third DE who can step up and replace Weatherly and we still don’t know who takes Odinigbo’s role as the pass rushing DT. I’d still prefer to find a player in the draft that can play DE right away. Gross-Matos is intriguing in round one. Fortunately, the Vikes don’t need 10+ sacks from that spot with Hunter here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes are losing two DEs. That’s a big hit. I don’t think the Vikes have the luxury now of being able to draft and develop a player, they need an immediate impact player. There isn’t a third DE who can step up and replace Weatherly and we still don’t know who takes Odinigbo’s role as the pass rushing DT. I’d still prefer to find a player in the draft that can play DE right away. Gross-Matos is intriguing in round one. Fortunately, the Vikes don’t need 10+ sacks from that spot with Hunter here.

I agree. And it doesn’t hurt having to guys that get 10 plus sacks. Also, Gross-Matos is great against the run as well..

We need a great front 4 to help our secondary. Again, that’s why I would trade up in round 2 as well for Justin Madubuike at DT.

Hunter, Pierce, Madubuike, and Gross-Matos up front with Odinigbo rotating in as well..

39 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I agree. And it doesn’t hurt having to guys that get 10 plus sacks. Also, Gross-Matos is great against the run as well..

We need a great front 4 to help our secondary. Again, that’s why I would trade up in round 2 as well for Justin Madubuike at DT.

Hunter, Pierce, Madubuike, and Gross-Matos up front with Odinigbo rotating in as well..

I agree that would be awesome if that happened.  YGM or Epenesa round 1 makes a ton of sense to me as well.  Getting Madubuike 2nd round is a little harder to accomplish but does makes sense.  Watching an old Vikings game from 2010 they had Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Willams and Ray Edwards on the DL.  That is crazy good compared to what they have had last season in terms of DT talent with Joseph getting older and not as effective.  Hell that DL has what two HOF players potentially on it.  Would be great to get back to that point.

The best case would be getting Neville Gallimore and YGM/Epenesa 1st round, but not sure that is a great idea with the CB problems the team has.  Unless they think that one of these corners could be a starter, and arguably yes that could be the case and the 2nd tear CB position is a lot deeper than the DT position.

Bryce Hall Virginia
Amik Robertson La Tech JR
Jaylon Johnson Utah JR
Tony Pride Jr Notre Dame JR
Myles Bryant Washington
Michael Ojemudia Iowa RS
Cameron Dantzler Miss State RS JR
Damon Arnette Ohio State
AJ Green Ok State
Darnay Holmes UCLA RS JR

Would not be surprised to see more than a few of these players become fine pros, so maybe they should got DE and DT in the 1st and get back to actually rushing the passer in a dominating fashion.

91aDN6gKTdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

he best case would be getting Neville Gallimore and YGM/Epenesa 1st round,

I cannot see the Vikings dropping both first round picks on the defensive line with so many needs everywhere else. 

I also don't think Gallimore is a 1st round pick. Outside of Brown and Kinlaw I don't see any other  D tackles worthy of being drafted in the 1st. Blacklock, Gallimore, Madubuike, Davidson should all be solid 2nd round choices though. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, AWinfield26 said:

Just wondering, who are some prospects you like after round 1? Idk why I have a crush on Van Jefferson seems to me like a poor mans Stefon Diggs not to mention he may be available in the 3rd round.   

Some of my favorites that can be had in the 3rd or later

Van Jefferson

Bryan Edwards

Antonio Gandy Golden

Tyler Johnson

Devin Dunvernay

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I cannot see the Vikings dropping both first round picks on the defensive line with so many needs everywhere else. 

I also don't think Gallimore is a 1st round pick. Outside of Brown and Kinlaw I don't see any other  D tackles worthy of being drafted in the 1st. Blacklock, Gallimore, Madubuike, Davidson should all be solid 2nd round choices though. 

Gallimore is a fine looking athlete, dude can move and had a great year and plays awesome.  I was really impressive with his effort at the combine.  He is right on the line of being a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder.  And all those dudes you listed would be gone by the time the Vikings pick in the 2nd round, so unless they trade up there is no way they get any of them.  Davidson I like as well as a pass rusher DT who could play DE and Blacklock is not as good of a pass rusher as Gallimore so I would take Gallimore over him.  Gallimore and Davidson have more pass rush potential at DT so I would want those guys instead.  But yes passing on a CB would be very hard to do, but those DTs would be gone by the Vikings 2nd pick so it would be difficult.  Possibly they could get a guy like Robert Windsor to fill that pass rushing DT role in the later rounds, just saying CB is easier to get 2nd-4th round than DT.  

Then again could fall into James Lynch which would be awesome 2nd round and could happen.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Gallimore is a fine looking athlete, dude can move and had a great year and plays awesome.  I was really impressive with his effort at the combine.  He is right on the line of being a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder.  And all those dudes you listed would be gone by the time the Vikings pick in the 2nd round, so unless they trade up there is no way they get any of them.  Davidson I like as well as a pass rusher DT who could play DE and Blacklock is not as good of a pass rusher as Gallimore so I would take Gallimore over him.  Gallimore and Davidson have more pass rush potential at DT so I would want those guys instead

Gallimore's lack of production and finishing will concern teams. If he is so good, why doesn't he bring it home more (tackles for loss, sacks, hurries, hits, etc)? Those are reasons why teams won't drop a 1st on him.

I think you're overrating this dtackle class. its solid, not spectacular. All those players have specific warts on them and out of the ones I mentioned, only Davidson has scheme versatility. The others basically are even front defensive linemen and that limits their NFL destinations. Even if the Vikings miss out on someone like that, there are others later on in the draft that also make sense like Jordan Elliott in the 3rd, or Mctelvin Agim in the 4th/5th.

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Gallimore's lack of production and finishing will concern teams. If he is so good, why doesn't he bring it home more (tackles for loss, sacks, hurries, hits, etc)? Those are reasons why teams won't drop a 1st on him.

I think you're overrating this dtackle class. its solid, not spectacular. All those players have specific warts on them and out of the ones I mentioned, only Davidson has scheme versatility. The others basically are even front defensive linemen and that limits their NFL destinations. Even if the Vikings miss out on someone like that, there are others later on in the draft that also make sense like Jordan Elliott in the 3rd, or Mctelvin Agim in the 4th/5th.

Overrating?  I call the DT class very thin and not very deep, how is that being overrated?  If anything it is not a great class top to bottom and I agree the only real elite guys are Brown and Kinlaw.  

Just the fact Jordan Elliott is getting the hype he is shows how lacking in depth this DT class has, Gallimore is way better than he is.  So if the Vikings do not take one 1st round most likely there will not be another one later on unless they get a guy like James Lynch which would make sense, wait I have him gone before the Vikings 2nd round pick as well.  Agim is a decent late round pick, at least he is better than his teammate in Watts who the Vikings drafted last year but neither one of them are some great DT prospect either.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agim is a decent late round pick, at least he is better than his teammate in Watts who the Vikings drafted last year but neither one of them are some great DT prospect either.

Well of course not. That's why Watts was selected in the 6th last year (i think? off memory) and Agim is projected in the mid rounds. They both have tools and traits that give Patterson something to work with though.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Well of course not. That's why Watts was selected in the 6th last year (i think? off memory) and Agim is projected in the mid rounds. They both have tools and traits that give Patterson something to work with though.

The Vikings need a pass rusher DT, Pierce is the run stopper hopefully but someone has to get to the QB.  Maybe Hercules can be that or Odenigbo on passing downs so maybe it is not a issue.  But I am saying that pass rush ability of the DTs around in the 3rd or 4th round is not that great, Fotu, Roy, Hamilton and Lawrence are all not great pass rushers, run stoppers sure but all might not fit great with Pierce next to them.  Maybe like I said Windsor could be that, or maybe Khalil Davis who has some versatility and a lot of athletic ability but was not as productive at a high level as Gallimore was. 

In terms of Gallimore, very few dudes that are 304 pounds and play DT run a 4.78 40 over the past 15 plus years at the combine.  Sure he and Khalil Davis both ran great, but one of the few dudes over the past 15 years or so I found that ran that well was Fletcher Cox at 298 ran a 4.79.  There is not many that pulled it off at 300+ playing DT.  So just on that and his game tape I think Gallimore has late 1st round ability.   Davis has a massive track background in high school so potentially his numbers at the combine could be a little deceptive, not sure he showed up like that on the field were Gallimore did especially this past year.  

Look at that freaking effort!

EnchantedWellgroomedIbis-size_restricted