2020 Draft Talk

swede700

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with you about not just being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive.  If there isn't a "Rolls-Royce" in the draft, I agree, it would be crazy to go too crazy on throwing draft picks at anyone.  My main idea was that many people seem to think Trevor Lawrence is about as close to a true Rolls-Royce as any prospect they have ever seen.  I can't claim that because I've never seen the guy take a snap.  If he is that promising of a prospect, however, I'm at the point where I'd be willing to get my checkbook out and pay whatever price it took to get him.  If there isn't someone like that in the draft, I agree with you that it pays to not be overly aggressive.

Exactly.  Well put.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Will Spielman and Zimmer have the job security to draft a QB high with cousins under contract? Ideally they would still be looking to the future but that might be a hard sell for them.

Or is the thought that they'll be gone before drafting a qb?

I thought they'd be gone when those decision are made.

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Will Spielman and Zimmer have the job security to draft a QB high with cousins under contract? Ideally they would still be looking to the future but that might be a hard sell for them.

Kirk is only under contract one more year after this season.  The fact he is making 27.5 mil this year and will make 29.5 mil next year is insane though.  Drafting a QB 1st or 2nd round in the up coming draft depending on how it plays out makes a ton of sense though because honestly they need a backup that is not Sean Mannion, who is a free agent after this year.  They need someone as a  project developmental QB and a backup, that is why it would have been nice to keep Sloter this season  instead of Mannion.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Kirk is only under contract one more year after this season.  The fact he is making 27.5 mil this year and will make 29.5 mil next year is insane though.  Drafting a QB 1st or 2nd round in the up coming draft depending on how it plays out makes a ton of sense though because honestly they need a backup that is not Sean Mannion, who is a free agent after this year.  They need someone as a  project developmental QB and a backup, that is why it would have been nice to keep Sloter this season  instead of Mannion.

If you include his bonuses, you need to add $1.5M to each of those totals above.  But, I'm personally over "project QBs", because the Vikings haven't been able to develop a project QB since Brad Johnson.  They have a project QB right now in Jake Browning and Sloter hadn't proven anything in the preseason outside the ability to dominate 3rd and 4th stringers.  Unfortunately, we never got to see him face off against the backups, so we have no basis to determine on whether he would have been capable of being the backup...which requires more than just the ability to play well on the field, it also requires the ability to help the starter diagnose things on the field.  Based on rumblings and rumors, it doesn't appear that Sloter was all that good at doing so, which is primarily why Mannion won the backup gig.  

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If you include his bonuses, you need to add $1.5M to each of those totals above.  But, I'm personally over "project QBs", because the Vikings haven't been able to develop a project QB since Brad Johnson.  They have a project QB right now in Jake Browning and Sloter hadn't proven anything in the preseason outside the ability to dominate 3rd and 4th stringers.  Unfortunately, we never got to see him face off against the backups, so we have no basis to determine on whether he would have been capable of being the backup...which requires more than just the ability to play well on the field, it also requires the ability to help the starter diagnose things on the field.  Based on rumblings and rumors, it doesn't appear that Sloter was all that good at doing so, which is primarily why Mannion won the backup gig.  

True but to me in the comparison between Browning and Sloter, Browning has the mindset and the professionalism supposedly, Sloter has the arm talent, size and athletic ability.  Still feel Sloter has more upside than Browning does.  If Browning is a future starter for this team that would be just sad honestly, sure Sloter proves he can dominate late in preseason games, Browning has not even proven he can do even that much honestly.

The Vikings do not have many options other than to draft a QB.  What wait Cousin's contract out and then once more sign the wrong free agent QB?  These guys are all free agent QBs in 2021.

Kirk Cousins
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Jacoby Brissett
Mitchell Trubisky
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Tyrod Taylor

Cannot imagine the fortune that will be paid to Mahomes and Watson, but unlike Cousins they will be actually deserving of it.  Newton is done for physically, Andy Dalton is basically similar to Cousins in terms of ability, is a better leader though arguably.  Brissett is nothing great, Trubisky will possibly be out in Chicago but at least he is young I guess.  And Fitzpatrick might be done physically same with Taylor.

So what other options do they have outside of drafting another QB and see if he is the guy like Teddy would have been before all the injury stuff.  PS Teddy's legs look even more thin on the Saints than on the Vikings, looks like at any point in time one of those legs will just break in half.

So to me they have to draft a QB, Mannion would be even worse than Kirk has been if he had to play, seriously if Kirk gets killed back in the pocket think of how Mannion would look back there who is less athletic.  It is just a sad QB situation all around for the Vikings.  Where is Gardner Minshew when we need him?  Young player, great leader, guys like to play for him, managers the game, has a decent arm that is accurate, can get away from trouble and scramble to throw the football.  Guys like to play with him and the fans love him, Kirk's interpersonal skills are arguably his biggest downfall, he is poor at relating to all his teammates I feel, or at least he comes off that way a lot of the time, he is not a great leader on the sidelines or the locker room.  We had a guy like Minshew in Case, and it is pathetic to look back at oh remember the Case Keenum days...  He is a FA in 2020 but Zimmer hates him and doubt they bring him back in the fold, at least guys seemed to rally around him at times and he could take the critics and still play decent at points and get away from the constant pass rush.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

You would think they would have to have some kind of assurance from ownership to make that kind of sacrifice.  That would be the fair thing to do if either of them are actually on the hot seat.

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but to me in the comparison between Browning and Sloter, Browning has the mindset and the professionalism supposedly, Sloter has the arm talent, size and athletic ability.  Still feel Sloter has more upside than Browning does.  If Browning is a future starter for this team that would be just sad honestly, sure Sloter proves he can dominate late in preseason games, Browning has not even proven he can do even that much honestly.

The Vikings do not have many options other than to draft a QB.  What wait Cousin's contract out and then once more sign the wrong free agent QB?  These guys are all free agent QBs in 2021.

Kirk Cousins
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Jacoby Brissett
Mitchell Trubisky
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Tyrod Taylor

Cannot imagine the fortune that will be paid to Mahomes and Watson, but unlike Cousins they will be actually deserving of it.  Newton is done for physically, Andy Dalton is basically similar to Cousins in terms of ability, is a better leader though arguably.  Brissett is nothing great, Trubisky will possibly be out in Chicago but at least he is young I guess.  And Fitzpatrick might be done physically same with Taylor.

So what other options do they have outside of drafting another QB and see if he is the guy like Teddy would have been before all the injury stuff.  PS Teddy's legs look even more thin on the Saints than on the Vikings, looks like at any point in time one of those legs will just break in half.

So to me they have to draft a QB, Mannion would be even worse than Kirk has been if he had to play, seriously if Kirk gets killed back in the pocket think of how Mannion would look back there who is less athletic.  It is just a sad QB situation all around for the Vikings.  Where is Gardner Minshew when we need him?  Young player, great leader, guys like to play for him, managers the game, has a decent arm that is accurate, can get away from trouble and scramble to throw the football.  Guys like to play with him and the fans love him, Kirk's interpersonal skills are arguably his biggest downfall, he is poor at relating to all his teammates I feel, or at least he comes off that way a lot of the time, he is not a great leader on the sidelines or the locker room.  We had a guy like Minshew in Case, and it is pathetic to look back at oh remember the Case Keenum days...  He is a FA in 2020 but Zimmer hates him and doubt they bring him back in the fold, at least guys seemed to rally around him at times and he could take the critics and still play decent at points and get away from the constant pass rush.

Great write up Ozzy.  Making the obvious assumption that we aren't going to pry Mahomes and Watson from their current franchises, the only guy you listed who I could possibly see working out would be Teddy.  Coach Zimmer loves him and his style of play and his style would fit well into our system.  At the same time, as much as I also love Teddy, I don't know if he is good enough to get us to the promised land.

That leaves us with the necessity of drafting a franchise quarterback.  The Wilfs would have to be willing to let the Super Bowl window close with the current roster for a short time and take a step back for a couple of years in the hope of taking two steps forward in the not too distant future with a true franchise quarterback.  As the team owner, you could do this without blowing up the entire roster.  You could trade some of our aging players such as Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, and Riley Reif.  I would also consider possibly trading Trae Waynes and even Dalvin Cook because I am very high on Alexander Mattison.  Mike Zimmer would obviously not want to do this, but he has also said that he would like to coach another 5-6 years and if he had some assurance from ownership that he would be given time to coach up the new roster, he could possibly be convinced that it's a good idea.  

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I too would be willing to deal most of those players, unless something drastic changes....I just don't see a very good team. Good? Probably. But that's the realistic ceiling to me.

Yeah everyone would have to adjust their expectations for 2-3 years.  This would be something to do if the front office becomes convinced that we aren't going anywhere this year anyway.  The way things have been looking with Cousins, merely "good" might be our ceiling at this point. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That doesn't really answer my question. A first round QB wouldn't help much next year unless he beats cousins out

Suffice to say that the quarterback class is viewed as a strength of the 2020 NFL Draft. That doesn't mean it won't get nitpicked; that we couldn't get a surprise return to school from one of the exciting underclassmen. But as it stands now, it's deep, it's star-studded, and it's willing to test records.

6 QBs in the first round hasn't happened since 1983 (do the names John Elway, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino mean anything to anyone?), but it has never been so advantageous to draft rookie QBs.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/would-you-rather--2018-qb-class-v.-2020-qb-class

• Like 1

18. Vikings Jordan Love QB, Utah State
Jordan Love is the perfect draft-and-stash QB candidate in the 2020 class. He needs time to develop, and I think the Vikings are the ideal team for that, considering Kirk Cousins isn't going anywhere on his guaranteed deal. It may take two or three seasons before we see Love on the field for Minnesota, but the pay off could be enormous.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls--2020-mock-draft-1.0

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, swede700 said:

It would make a lot of sense I agree especially late 1st round but Eason I feel might be better but will see.  Jordan Love is playing LSU this week on the road.  Huge game for him as a prospect and is a must watch, 11 PM SEC Network today.  Will see how he looks, played great last year I have not seen Love play yet this season under a new coaching staff and with a less talented roster around him.

Is a project no doubt but that is fine since we cannot get rid of Cousins next year anyway.  Is almost a must the Vikings take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round in the up coming draft, no way they cannot go that route.  

In 2020 the FA QBs are as follows

Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Dak Prescott
Teddy Bridgewater
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Chase Daniel
Case Keenum
Colt McCoy
AJ McCarron
Paxton Lynch
Nate Sudfeld
Drew Stanton
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Trevor Siemian
Ryan Tannehill
Mike Glennon
Matt Schaub
Brett Hundley
Cody Kessler
Joe Webb
Nathan Peterman
Blake Bortles
Sean Mannion
Jeff Driskel
Taysom Hill
Kyle Allen

Pathetic thing is honestly I would take Brett Hundley maybe as a backup compared to Mannion and that is sad to say now.  Would love Joe Webb back in Minnesota or even Blake Bortles as just a backup guy or Taysom Hill in the zone blocking run game would be ok.  Or pathetically Chase Daniel and that is just even more sad to say that now.  Heck I would trade Kirk Cousins and some draft picks maybe for freaking Dak Prescott even, originally hoped Kirk was better than Dak but now that does not seem to be the case and Dak is actually a leader and competitor unlike Kirk.  

Maybe Tom Brady will come back to Minnesota because he loves the days he spent on his grandfathers farm to end his career. ;o)

Brady_BrowervilleTownSign.JPG?itok=Z3KVg

owl-Bradys_Roots_Football2.JPG_t1200.jpg