2020 Draft Talk

swede700

51 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Danielle Hunter is only 8 months older than Garrett Bradbury. 

And already has 40 career sacks. 

And is signed for 5 more years. 

You can't beat that, especially since he's entering his 5th year...and still doesn't turn 25 until October.  

21 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He still 74 sacks behind Randle,  that's almost 15 per season.

Right. If he has a couple of monster seasons, it isn't unrealistic. I wouldn't say it's probable, but it does speak to how good he is as a player, and to the insane value that the Vikings have with his contract.

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, he has less excuses this year with the emphasis on the OL and the new Jordan Reed in Irv Smith.  

My personal belief is that the position emphasis will be in the following order:

1.  NT (eventual replacement for Linval Joseph)

2. QB (if Cousins is the same as he was this last year)

3. 3-Tech

4. OT

It's hard to tell. A lot of things can change between now and next year.

I honestly can't see a situation where the Vikings are looking for a new QB a year from now and Spielman and Zimmer still have their current jobs.

Its kind of weird to think that the 2020 Vikings draft could be made by another GM. There has been talk that if the Vikings have a bad season or losing season, Rick & Co could be fired. I personally think that would be a HUGE mistake. Rick has done a great job building this team imo. He hasnt really gotten the QB position right, but i think he had it right with Teddy. Which is unfortunate what happened. But for the most part i want to see Rick Spielman as the GM of the Vikings until Rick decides he wants to retire. IMO he is a top 5 GM in the NFL. 

Next year i think would be wise to select a QB high in the draft. Unless Kirk wins the SB or makes the SB, id like to start planning for life after Cousins at QB. Draft a guy next year and have him sit for one year, then we arent forced to give Kirk 40 million per year and have a QB on a rookie deal for a few years. 

I may be wrong on this but i see a window for the Vikings to be solid & contenders for seasons to come. I dont think their championship window is as small as some think. Our core guys are still young and have prime years left. The only core players that are even 30 are Harrison Smith & Linval, the rest are 28 or younger. And 30 at most positions isnt exactly that old. I think the Vikings are here to stay competitive for years to come, very deep/stacked team. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Its kind of weird to think that the 2020 Vikings draft could be made by another GM. There has been talk that if the Vikings have a bad season or losing season, Rick & Co could be fired. I personally think that would be a HUGE mistake. Rick has done a great job building this team imo. He hasnt really gotten the QB position right, but i think he had it right with Teddy. Which is unfortunate what happened. But for the most part i want to see Rick Spielman as the GM of the Vikings until Rick decides he wants to retire. IMO he is a top 5 GM in the NFL. 

Next year i think would be wise to select a QB high in the draft. Unless Kirk wins the SB or makes the SB, id like to start planning for life after Cousins at QB. Draft a guy next year and have him sit for one year, then we arent forced to give Kirk 40 million per year and have a QB on a rookie deal for a few years. 

I may be wrong on this but i see a window for the Vikings to be solid & contenders for seasons to come. I dont think their championship window is as small as some think. Our core guys are still young and have prime years left. The only core players that are even 30 are Harrison Smith & Linval, the rest are 28 or younger. And 30 at most positions isnt exactly that old. I think the Vikings are here to stay competitive for years to come, very deep/stacked team. 

Hardest part with the QB position is if we kept our 2017 pick, probably the best QB we would have drafted was Kizer, instead we traded it for some hope with Bradford..... who also gets hurt.... 

you could say we would have done way way worse with Hill as QB I guess and drafted Mahomes, but no team is going to just “tank”. We were close to win now, our OLine was destroyed and the next year we made it to the NFCCG with Keenum. 

Vikings have weird luck, good and bad.

• Like 1

Imagine if Bridgewater had not gotten hurt, we’d probably be stuck with Bridgewater. 

I guess I don’t understand how, or why, the narrative surrounding Bridgewater became that of a franchise level QB that we lost. There was hope in 2016 that Bridgewater was ready to take the next step to simply being a reliable QB, but nothing even close to franchise level, yet. 

• Like 1

Stuck with Bridgewater is a pretty pessimistic way to look at it... I think it's reasonable to assume that Teddy would have progressed to close to Cousins level at two-thirds the cost, with upside. You're right in the fact that we don't know what would have happened and some folks have a pretty rosy view of the past, but the best case scenario makes this team look a lot better now.

52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Imagine if Bridgewater had not gotten hurt, we’d probably be stuck with Bridgewater. 

I guess I don’t understand how, or why, the narrative surrounding Bridgewater became that of a franchise level QB that we lost. There was hope in 2016 that Bridgewater was ready to take the next step to simply being a reliable QB, but nothing even close to franchise level, yet. 

It's because the preseason prior to the injury he looked fantastic and he always possessed intangible qualities that are rare among quarterbacks. The outlook going in to that season was very good for Teddy.