2020 Draft Talk

swede700

On 9/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, Torchezim said:

No QB in this draft really excites me.  If we are going to draft one, hope Cousins is terrible next year and we receive the 1st selection overall.  Then draft Trevor Lawrence. There is no “sure thing”, but in all seriousness, I’m tired of missing on the QB position and Lawrence IMO and barring injury,  is as close to a sure thing as you’re going to get.  

They can't wait for Lawrence.  There are lots of QBs coming out next year...there are going to be several that are going to be good, so when the class is going to be as deep as it is going to be, you gotta take one...Lawrence's class is not likely to be as deep, so you can't hang your hat on that.  

Well I know we can’t hang on to it but it is certainly something I am hoping for.  I have no idea what is going to transpire from here until then but none of the QBs coming out next year really do anything for me personally.  It would be a perfect time to get Lawrence though seeing as Cousins contract will end and so will his tenure with the Vikings. 

Maybe we draft one next year, and if we are still terribly bad and position ourselves for him, we take Lawrence too?  Can never have too many lol

Edited by Torchezim

I could see the Vikings drafting one early this spring if we do not make the playoffs.   Will definitely miss out on Tua and Herbert but may be in the market for that 2nd tier of Fromm, Burrow, Eason, or Love.

If they make the playoffs,  they take OL,  DL, and WR and try continue to build around Cousins for one more shot in 2020

Edited by NoDakViking
Add

18 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I could see the Vikings drafting one early this spring if we do not make the playoffs.   Will definitely miss out on Tua and Herbert but may be in the market for that 2nd tier of Fromm, Burrow, Eason, or Love.

If they make the playoffs,  they take OL,  DL, and WR and try continue to build around Cousins for one more shot in 2020

While I can sort of see that, I believe they have to go the Chiefs' route that they took in drafting Mahomes.  While Alex Smith was fine, they were preparing for the life after Smith, because they had determined that he could only take them so far...I think that's where the Vikings will be at...Cousins is fine, but he's not the long-term answer.  I think they have to take one in the first 2 rounds, and trade up if they feel one of them will be dynamic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I can sort of see that, I believe they have to go the Chiefs' route that they took in drafting Mahomes.  While Alex Smith was fine, they were preparing for the life after Smith, because they had determined that he could only take them so far...I think that's where the Vikings will be at...Cousins is fine, but he's not the long-term answer.  I think they have to take one in the first 2 rounds, and trade up if they feel one of them will be dynamic.

I agree.  The QBOTF will be sought this off season.

2 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Taking any QB after the first round would be a waste. They simply don't pan out the way you need them to at that point. Realistically, they need to trade up into the top 12 or so and grab one. After that, it seems as though those QB's will keep in you QB purgatory.

What truly matters is whether he's the right guy or not, not necessarily where you take him...but I understand the point.  There is certainly a higher percentage chance of success taking a guy in the top half of the draft, but they could still end up with a guy like Sad Trombonesky, Jameis Winston, Blake Bortles, or Ryan Tannehill.  Let's just hope that they don't pull another Ponder and draft a guy way before he should go.  

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What truly matters is whether he's the right guy or not, not necessarily where you take him...but I understand the point.  There is certainly a higher percentage chance of success taking a guy in the top half of the draft, but they could still end up with a guy like Sad Trombonesky, Jameis Winston, Blake Bortles, or Ryan Tannehill.  Let's just hope that they don't pull another Ponder and draft a guy way before he should go.  

The Vikes didn’t trade up for Ponder. I think the Vikes will have to trade up to get a new QB, assuming they are picking after 18ish. I’d like to assume that if the Vikes make a big trade into the top 10, they’d do so for a Qb worth the pick and not a reach. Then again, many thought NY reached for Daniel Jones and he may end up alright.

i just hope if they make a huge trade up for a Qb, they are doing so for a high upside type, big arm, good athlete, etc. Safe QBs with limited physical upside don’t often seem to pan out versus putting a high upside guy in a really good situation to be successful.

44 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes didn’t trade up for Ponder. I think the Vikes will have to trade up to get a new QB, assuming they are picking after 18ish. I’d like to assume that if the Vikes make a big trade into the top 10, they’d do so for a Qb worth the pick and not a reach. Then again, many thought NY reached for Daniel Jones and he may end up alright.

i just hope if they make a huge trade up for a Qb, they are doing so for a high upside type, big arm, good athlete, etc. Safe QBs with limited physical upside don’t often seem to pan out versus putting a high upside guy in a really good situation to be successful.

I'm not sure I understand you when you refer to "Safe QBs." Who would be an example of a "safe" QB?

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

that does not refute the point at all that if you pick them late, they are VERY LIKELY to be even worse than those guys. You have almost zero chance, in the last 10 years, to get a very good QB later than round 1.