2020 Draft Talk

swede700

I've been freezing my rear off up here in Fairbanks; seems like we've been at 25 or 30-below 0 forever . . . of course I know that's not the case -- it's only been since Dec 16 or so.  That said, I've been watching a few things on the Vikes.  With the combine wrapping-up, I can't see the Vikes passing on a lineman or CB in the 1st round.  The athletes at the combine are crazy this year, or maybe I'm just old.

For WR help, I'd be looking at the Vikes using the 2nd or 3rd round pick, and I loved watching Dezmon Patmon from WSU the past couple years.  Then he goes out and runs a 4.48 at 6' 3 3/4" and 225 lbs.  His numbers were a tick below Chase Claypool, but better than some of the other higher rated WRs.  He's easily on par with Michael Pittman from USC, and with his 'fro, he almost looks like Randy Moss of '03/'04 . . . doesn't play that way, well who does?  I could see him being a great pro, and hopefully, he'll be with the Vikes.  

Would the Vikes want his QB too?  In the 4th, if Anthony Gordon were available, he might be a solid choice . . . he threw too many picks for my liking.  But, the kid has a quick release and decent enough arm strength.

Other dark horses I'm liking in the 2nd or 3rd are OTs Matt Peart from UCONN and Ezra Cleveland from Boise St . . . the combine moved them into the middle or early rounds, for sure.  The only interior lineman I'd go for early-ish is Lloyd Cushenberry . . . I thought he dominated this past year.  Granted he was a C, would he be able to play LG?  Probably wishful thinking as I think Samia or Elflein will land that job.

So, at the top of the heap, would a DT be in order, especially if Linval is cut loose?  From all the reads on Gallimore through the all-star games and the combine, he sure seems to be a 1st rounder.  His quickness is well documented.  I don't know how slippery he is, but when you look at guys like the John Randle's and Aaron Donald's of the world, I feel like Neville Gallimore is next in line for that type of impact player.  He'd be an outstanding addition at #25.

The DBs could very well plant someone in that slot though, so we shall see . . . 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jordan Love is killing it so far. He'll likely be a first round QB, but I'd like him in purple and gold.

Tristian Wirfs looks good too. He probably goes way before we pick though.

My top love in the draft is still Javon Kinlaw though.

Love is the only other QB I would want in the 1st other than Burrow and Tua. Herbert will probably suck in the pros because he goes to Oregon.

Here's a cool tidbit about Wirfs. Dan Gable came in and lectured in one of my classes, and Gable started to give Wirfs tips he could use during games. 

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

Neville Gallimore DT Oklahoma, could be my new favorite Vikings 1st round pick if OL is not in the cards.  Kid was super impressive at the combine, great power and explosive ability, and last year he balled out no question.  But dude is athletic, quick and plays mean I would want to see him in Purple if possible.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/neville-gallimore?id=32194741-4c63-6611-9d1e-0291de0dd367

Ezra Cleveland beat Bradbury's time last year in the 3 cone, 7.26 compared to Bradbury's 7.41.  Also Ezra beat him in the 20 shuttle with 4.46 compared to Bradbury's 4.53.  And Ezra is 6-6 311 OT.  And their times for the 40, bench and vertical were similar but Bradbury beat him in each those.  Currently Cleveland has the most bench reps for a guy 6-6 or bigger in the current combine for offensive players. 

Matt Hennessy has similar times to Bradbury athletically and would be a lot cheaper and lower of a pick than Bradbury.  Bradbury clearly struggled with power last year and got pushed around.  Love how the OL looked and Wills or Wirfs would be a dream but is not going to happen.  Danny Pinter is interesting as a late rounder, still love John Simpson and Cleveland of course athletically not to mention Driscol as well.  John Molchon looks like he could play in a zone scheme easily, same with Lemieux at OG and Cesar Ruiz sadly might be better than Bradbury in terms of being more physical.  

2 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Tanner Muse just ran 4.43 😱.

Might add another Clemson DB to the roster.

He is a OLB I feel and could be a good one, might hang at safety but his game tape says no but will see.

• Like 1

Great to hear the Vikings met with Prince Tega Wanogho at the combine.  Sadly he did not workout at all but I would love him in the 2nd round, not sure he would be around though.  Little less interested in him late 1st but if the Vikings could trade up to the early 2nd round they could get him.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/26/vikings-meet-with-ol-prince-tega-wanogho-at-combine/

And with how Winfield Jr looked at the combine, he is for sure in play at safety potentially in the 1st round for the Vikings.  Still a long shot but kid can ball and if they do not sign Harris he could make a ton of sense.  Honestly if Delpit was healthy not sure he would have looked as good as Winfield did in those on field drills, same with McKinney but sadly could not see the comparison because both DNP.

• Like 1

@ArcticNorseman  I'll try to bring some warmer weather to you, I'll be there this Saturday through Monday on vacation (yes, we're kind of weird, considering we're going to a cold place in March, but it's for my wife's birthday).  We're expecting 60 here in a couple of days, so we'll try to get you up into the teens while we're there.  :D

Just saw on TV a Todd McShay mock draft, had the Vikings taking Diggs brother at CB, but passing on Andrew Thomas?  If Thomas does fall that far which I seriously doubt, no way in hell the Vikings do no take him because he could be potentially much better than Reiff was this past season.  Sure is not an ideal zone blocking OT but is good enough and is solid in pass pro and run blocking.    Sure he has gotten over taken by the likes of Wirfs, Wills and Becton but Thomas can play and only reason he would drop is because those other three have such upside.

Also been seeing Biadasz drop a lot as well, curious if the Vikings would take him as a potential OG or C if Bradbury does not work out.  I think Biadasz could easily play OG if asked, but maybe health wise there are some issues there, he has played at a high level for awhile though.  I think he would be in play late 1st round and could be a steal if he passes out physically.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Just saw on TV a Todd McShay mock draft, had the Vikings taking Diggs brother at CB, but passing on Andrew Thomas?  If Thomas does fall that far which I seriously doubt, no way in hell the Vikings do no take him because he could be potentially much better than Reiff was this past season.  Sure is not an ideal zone blocking OT but is good enough and is solid in pass pro and run blocking.    Sure he has gotten over taken by the likes of Wirfs, Wills and Becton but Thomas can play and only reason he would drop is because those other three have such upside.

Also been seeing Biadasz drop a lot as well, curious if the Vikings would take him as a potential OG or C if Bradbury does not work out.  I think Biadasz could easily play OG if asked, but maybe health wise there are some issues there, he has played at a high level for awhile though.  I think he would be in play late 1st round and could be a steal if he passes out physically.  

I'd be surprised to see Biadasz taken before the 3rd round now.  He has regressed the longer he played at Wisconsin and is coming off hip surgery, which is never good for a guy you're planning to play in a zone-blocking scheme.  

And as far as Thomas goes, if he were available, I think they'd trade down and let someone else take Thomas, because he isn't a fit for the zone blocking scheme.  Plus, Kubiak has gotten more out of mid-round offensive linemen with the notable exception being Duane Brown.  I've seen Trevon Diggs occasionally being mocked to the Vikings...he'd certainly be a good fit for what Zimmer looks for in a CB, but I'm not sure the Vikings would necessarily take him there...I could envision them trading down as above, and maybe getting him a few spots later (taking the risk that someone else might grab him in-between), as he does fit in that range of the mid to late 1st rounder.    

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'd be surprised to see Biadasz taken before the 3rd round now.  He has regressed the longer he played at Wisconsin and is coming off hip surgery, which is never good for a guy you're planning to play in a zone-blocking scheme.  

And as far as Thomas goes, if he were available, I think they'd trade down and let someone else take Thomas, because he isn't a fit for the zone blocking scheme.  Plus, Kubiak has gotten more out of mid-round offensive linemen with the notable exception being Duane Brown.  I've seen Trevon Diggs occasionally being mocked to the Vikings...he'd certainly be a good fit for what Zimmer looks for in a CB, but I'm not sure the Vikings would necessarily take him there...I could envision them trading down as above, and maybe getting him a few spots later (taking the risk that someone else might grab him in-between), as he does fit in that range of the mid to late 1st rounder.    

I do not believe that is true IMO Zimmer does not seem to be fond of players who business decision their tackling and that is a prominent weakness of Trevon Diggs.

C.J Henderson as well but he should likely go higher then our draft choice.

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

I feel Andrew Thomas could no question play in a zone blocking scheme, he pulled a little at Georgia and blocked very well downfield as well.  If he was there and the Vikings did not take him they are idiots.  I would completely can Reiff for a young and talented Andrew Thomas.  Not sure that is possible though with Reiff's contract.  Sure he is not Tristan Wirfs who I would trade multiple draft picks for but if he fell to them I would love it.

James Lynch, not an amazing day by him at the combine but is really a 4/3 DT instead of a edge player but could be in a 3/4 DE spot also.  Interesting ticker stat I saw, apparently he had 70 QB pressures in 2019 which was the most of any player in FBS last year.  Pretty damn good I would say and I would love him in the 2nd if possible, probably not 1st like I said before but 2nd I would be comfortable.  Trading out of the 1st makes sense if we could get a 2nd and a 4th or something like that.  I would love two 2nd round picks to select a quality OL and DL.

Diggs sure could happen but I would not want him based on his poor tackling, sure he is big and his upside is pretty high but not sure he is the corner they need right now.  Biadasz if healthy is a hell of a lot better at the point of attack than Bradbury was last year, but health is a question sure but at least he could play OG and not sure that is the case for Bradbury.  

Would be great if Rhodes could just transition to safety and that would fill a hole and they could focus on CB, because honestly S if Harris and Kearse are not signed is a bigger need than CB.  If they do get a CB Aj Terrell I think is better than Diggs honestly, and Bryce Hall is just as long and without his injury this past season he would have arguably been a 1st round pick.  Or guys like Josiah Scott who is a great tackling CB who could be a mid round value and Tony Pride has some potential as well.  CJ Henderson is not bad either but again I think OL or DL takes priority over CB.  

16 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

I do not believe that is true IMO Zimmer does not seem to be fond of players who business decision their tackling and that is a prominent weakness of Trevon Diggs.

C.J Henderson as well but he should likely go higher then our draft choice.

Agree 100%, which is why I feel Gladney would be the CB they target. From what I've read he gives solid effort when coming up to tackle. Unless Henderson and Diggs killed their interviews with the Vikings and eased the concerns on tackling I'd be surprised if they were picked by us.

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Agree 100%, which is why I feel Gladney would be the CB they target. From what I've read he gives solid effort when coming up to tackle. Unless Henderson and Diggs killed their interviews with the Vikings and eased the concerns on tackling I'd be surprised if they were picked by us.

I do not get all this freaking CB talk.  If you look at the guys they have currently CB is are in better position roster wise than safety who has only Harrison Smith as a signed player.  Sure CB 1st round makes sense but safety makes way more sense unless they resign Harris and Sendejo.  No way they sign Kearse but who knows.  Say Xavier Rhodes goes to safety, I would not mind a CB but if safety is not address that is a bigger problem and getting Winfield or McKinney 1st round or Dugger etc in 2nd/3rd round could solve it.  

CB
Xavier Rhodes
Mike Hughes
Holton Hill
Kris Boyd
Mark Fields

Free Agents:
Trae Waynes
Mac Alexander
Marcus Sherels

S
Harrison Smith