FAR TOO EARLY 2020 TEAM NEEDS

Karnage84

I can’t find the video, but last season bye week press conference with the coaches. Paul Pasqualoni talked about the importance of pressure over sacks. That they want to collapse the pocket around the qb and keep him contained as the primary goal. I believe he was referencing the first GB game and how they made Aaron Rodgers uncomfortable and did not allow him to slip out of the pocket. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Kinda a 50/50 philosophy don't you think?

Using a baseball metaphor, I think they're looking for a bunch of guys that will hit doubles to generate runs as opposed to a few guys who are homerun hitters that also strike out often.

2016 - 6 players with 2 + sacks

2017 - 10 players with 2+ sacks

2018 - 6 players with 2+ sacks

12 minutes ago, Lionized said:

I can’t find the video, but last season bye week press conference with the coaches. Paul Pasqualoni talked about the importance of pressure over sacks. That they want to collapse the pocket around the qb and keep him contained as the primary goal. I believe he was referencing the first GB game and how they made Aaron Rodgers uncomfortable and did not allow him to slip out of the pocket. 

Yes, I've heard that too. They're looking to limit the big plays where a QB like Rodgers escapes from the pocket and the scheme breaks down by overplaying things. Which is one of the reasons that they love Flowers. His sack numbers aren't great but his pressures are near the tops in the league on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Gm?

Head Coach?

xD Alright enough Trolling I'll let you all fan out with your 10-6, 9-7 season hopes. 

This team could go 6-10 and it wouldn't surprise me and they could go 10-6 and it wouldn't shock me either.

We have a challenging start to the schedule and we're in a difficult division. I do think that we're building a team that is better than some of the pundits think and we'll be better than Tim Hasselbeck's prediction of 4 wins but everything else is up in the air.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 8:42 AM, Karnage84 said:

This team could go 6-10 and it wouldn't surprise me and they could go 10-6 and it wouldn't shock me either.

We have a challenging start to the schedule and we're in a difficult division. I do think that we're building a team that is better than some of the pundits think and we'll be better than Tim Hasselbeck's prediction of 4 wins but everything else is up in the air.

The problem is really you're ok with 6-10 or can reason it out after two years in a row we're a 9-7 and we fired a man because... "he wasn't good enough", essentially. You can't be ok with firing a guy cause you thought you are better and become worst after firing him. 

1 minute ago, SimbaWho said:

The problem is really you're ok with 6-10 or can reason it out after two years in a row we're a 9-7 and we fired a man because... "he wasn't good enough", essentially. You can't be ok with firing a guy cause you thought you are better and become worst after firing him. 

I hate how Quinn handled Caldwell. If they didn't like him he should've been fired right away. Now we are in a position where Quinn has been with the team long enough that we should be seeing results, but Patricia was brought in just a year ago, so we're also kind of rebuilding to fit that scheme. 

Just now, SimbaWho said:

I'm not ok with it but the moves were made with the intention of improving on that record. We were perennial 9-7's with Caldwell. Just like with Schwartz, he took us as far as he was going to. Quinn brought in Patricia with the sole purpose of fulfilling his vision of the team - a HC with a similar background, draft players that fit the scheme they want to run, etc. We have only seen year 1 of this plan and it was in a shortened off-season with a significant change to the organization as a whole. This is the first full year where they have the time, structure and resources dedicated to a successful outcome in team building. Whether that success is found on the field is yet to be seen. I'd rather give the front office and the head coach enough time to roll out their plan and let it succeed or fail on its own merits. The alternative approach is to have organizational chaos after one year and go the Cardinals vs Wilkes approach.

This is a significant year for Patricia and Quinn. They need to go 8-8 or 9-7 in order to cool the hot seat a bit. Anything less than that and the team is going to start looking for their next replacement for the 2021 season. If they had a slow start in 2020, then we'd be looking at  a wholesale "blow it up" season/off-season. Stafford is gone, Quinn and Patricia are gone and the Lions would be in full on "Tanking for Trevor" mode.

Ultimately, we have to let things develop and understand the environment we're dealing with as fans. This staff isn't going anywhere for at least a season and a half. Hopefully they show that this is all worth the wait and we are contenders for the division. If not, they'll be looking for work elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I hate how Quinn handled Caldwell. If they didn't like him he should've been fired right away. Now we are in a position where Quinn has been with the team long enough that we should be seeing results, but Patricia was brought in just a year ago, so we're also kind of rebuilding to fit that scheme. 

Quinn was drafting players for a different scheme than his own preference. Caldwell had been successful and Matty P was probably not ready to make the leap to a HC position at the time.

This is the first year where we will really get to see the plan unfolding. Patricia came in so late and had so much to learn along the way.

Year 1: 2018 6-10

Year 2: 2019

Year 3: 2020 <<< If we're sitting at 2-6 or 3-5 and had another 6-10 or 7-9 season in 2019, they're cleaning house by mid-season.