Rams WR Mike Thomas Suspended 4 Games

Dr LBC

Rams wide receiver Mike Thomas‘ second NFL season will be getting off to a delayed start.

The NFL announced on Friday that Thomas has been suspended for the first four games of the 2017 season. He violated the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs and will not be eligible to rejoin the team until after they play the Cowboys on October 1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/14/rams-wr-mike-thomas-suspended-four-games/

Given the investments made into the WR corps this offseason with Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, and Everett as well as McVay's own statements regarding the intended role for Tavon Austin, it wouldn't be shocking if Thomas doesn't end up making the final 53, unless injuries hit really hard in the preseason.  

3 catches totaling 57 yards on his rookie season.  Which, I suppose, isn't bad for a 6th round pick out of a small-ish school (Southern Miss).  McVay had had some positive things to say about him during OTA's but that could have just been coach speak too.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Thought the first time I saw it this was the saints wr.

So did I. Scared the heck out of me. He was taken in the same draft as the real Michael Thomas though. ;)

He had three catches for 37 yards last year? This hurts his roster chances. Rams drafted  2 WRs.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

So did I. Scared the heck out of me. He was taken in the same draft as the real Michael Thomas though. ;)

He had three catches for 37 yards last year? This hurts his roster chances. Rams drafted  2 WRs.

Yeah, drafted two.  Signed another.  You have to figure that roster spots for Woods, Kupp, and Tavon are assured; Josh Reynolds too unless something catastrophic happens.  Assuming the Rams carry 6 receivers, that leaves Thomas - now with a handicap - battling for 1 of 2 spots against Pharoah Cooper (already has a leg up because he's returned punts for us), Nelson Spruce, Bradley Marquez, Paul McRoberts, Brandon Shippen, and Shakeir Ryan.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Thought the first time I saw it this was the saints wr

This one has always gone by Mike (even in college), while the OSU/Saints WR has gone be Michael.

Either way, you'd have had to have been a Rams fan, a pretty big draftnik or be in a really deep dynasty fantasty football league to have cared much about this guy before now.

And given 2 more WRs were drafted this year as pointed out above, he'll be up against it to be relevant going forward

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Mike Williams probably gives Mike Thomas a run for his money.

According to Pro Football Reference there have been 5 guys named Mike or Michael Thomas to play.

Looked like there have been a dozen or so of the Mike Williams variety.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 3:27 PM, TitanLegend said:

Wasn't there a Jags WR by the name of Mike Thomas that was halfway decent for a couple years? Wonder what happened to him, kinda fell off the face of the earth.

From UofA. Made the game winning TD catch on the batted Hail Mary 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:28 AM, The LBC said:

Yeah, drafted two.  Signed another.  You have to figure that roster spots for Woods, Kupp, and Tavon are assured; Josh Reynolds too unless something catastrophic happens.  Assuming the Rams carry 6 receivers, that leaves Thomas - now with a handicap - battling for 1 of 2 spots against Pharoah Cooper (already has a leg up because he's returned punts for us), Nelson Spruce, Bradley Marquez, Paul McRoberts, Brandon Shippen, and Shakeir Ryan.

I doubt the suspension will work him off the team. It gives them four games to make a decision on the WR position. Thomas was arguably the team's best gunner last year, and he's one of the few guys on the roster who can function as a legitimate deep threat. I expect he sticks around as a role player/special teamer (especially if his hands are more consistent). Goff had really good things to say about him earlier this off-season (as did the reporters at practice).

Archived