Should the Draft be Shorter?

PossibleCabbage

So this is collectively bargained, but there are CBA negotiations ongoing/upcoming.  Once upon a time the draft was much longer (Draft was 12 rounds from '77 to '92 and even longer before), so should "shorten the draft" be something that is on the table for the next CBA? 

So the primary purpose of the draft is to promote parity.  Not only do you roughly assign the best players to the worst teams, but you also ensure that less desirable locations can still add star college players who would otherwise prefer to sign with other teams.  Sure, the difference between the 5th pick and the 30th pick is significant, but is the difference between the 205th pick and the 230th pick that big?  How many rounds do we actually need in order to assign all the probable difference makers to the various teams?

Generally, I think most players would rather be a UDFA and sign where they want, than to be a very late draft pick.  Money's not that different and your odds of a roster or PS spot aren't that much better for being a 7th round pick than for being a UDFA.   NFL teams have actually gone on record saying that they use late round picks for priority free agents that they do not think they will be able to sign.  Is it really important that teams be able to do this?  If you thought a guy was important for you to have on your roster, you probably did not have a priority FA grade on him to begin with.

It seems like "Make the draft shorter" would be a thing that the NFLPA would want, since fewer veterans would lose jobs to rookies, and it wouldn't cost the NFL owners any money if the salary cap and roster size stayed the same- you could just increase the pool teams have to sign UDFAs by however much the late picks which no longer exist would be paid.  Anything the PA wants that does not cost the owners money is worth considering as a bargaining chip, after all.

I think there would be a nice symmetry in deleting the 7th round and doing 1 round on the first day, 2 rounds on the 2nd day, and 3 rounds on the 3rd day.  Plus, keeping 6 lets you keep the Brady Memorial pick at #199 and there is never going to be a more noteworthy late round draft pick, at least not in the near term.   Considering the draft as an entertainment product for television, things really start to drag on day 3 and only pick up towards the end in anticipation of the draft being over; teams spend most of their time in rounds 6 and 7 on the phone with prospective undrafted free agent signings anyway.

So would anyone actually mind if the 7th (or even the 6th) rounds of the draft were collectively bargained away?

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

I'm ok with the amount of picks but I think they have to happen much quicker, particularly on day 3. Six plus hours is pretty savage imo.

I'd probably do something like 10 mins for day 1 (no change), 5 mins for day 2, 3 minutes for day 3.

id do 5 minutes for day 1(unless pick is traded then give the trading team 2 additional minutes. day 2 i feel like 4 minutes should be adequate time to select a guy and entertain trade offers. 3 for day 3 seems good.  

i would make round 1 and 2 day 1. 3 and 4 day 2. 5 6 and 7 day 3 as it would shorten the draft times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like there is a minimum time you need to allow for making a pick to make sure teams can figure out stuff like - he's still available, he's still alive, he will show up at minicamp. So 3 minutes would make it tough.

u can assign a member of the staff to follow the draft picks and cross them out.remove them from your big board.  the league inputs the player school and position to a database that all teams can see/access.   currently the NFL gives teams 5 minutes to make the pick for rounds 3-6 and 4 minutes for round 7.  it shouldnt be that hard to figure out who u want if u stay active and start looking at who u want at your pick. 

No, less rounds would be stupid. Less time to make a pick however I have long been a fan of, esp the first round. And once they say "the pick is in" ........ffs what do these people with the pick do, go jog around the block and then walk back in and hand the pick over? 

Shorten the time of picks (including being announced) and stop all the antics. Just get get up there and simply, quickly, plainly announce the pick. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bomont said:

No, less rounds would be stupid. Less time to make a pick however I have long been a fan of, esp the first round. And once they say "the pick is in" ........ffs what do these people with the pick do, go jog around the block and then walk back in and hand the pick over? 

Shorten the time of picks (including being announced) and stop all the antics. Just get get up there and simply, quickly, plainly announce the pick. 

id imagine they fap to it xD

You aren't required by law to watch the draft. I don't think they should hinder the process of adding college talent because a bunch of impatient people want to know everyone who got drafted on Saturday all at once or whatever bull**** lol

• Like 1