Better QB, Andy Dalton or Derek Carr?

CP3MVP

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

They are basically very similar QBs but with similar talent, I feel Carr is the better QB of the two here.

Their passer ratings for their careers are basically identical but there is a large gap in public perception

4 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Their passer ratings for their careers are basically identical but there is a large gap in public perception

Andy's been doing it longer, would be my guess as to why he's seen as the worse of the two QBs. If Carr plays like he has since his injury, he'll be seen as a Dalton in a few more years. 

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd like to see Carr in the same offense for more than a year and the same receiving options for more than a year before I pass judgment. I'll roll with my guy and once he has a big year in this offense, people will backtrack.

I've seen this excuse so many times over the years with various players and it never bears any fruit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danger said:

I've seen this excuse so many times over the years with various players and it never bears any fruit.

Yes because a receiving core starting Jordy Nelson and Seth Roberts along with bottom 5 pass protection on a dysfunctional organization has nothing to do with Carr's lack of success. Because he's never had success in the past with continuity and some talent :S.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yes because a receiving core starting Jordy Nelson and Seth Roberts along with bottom 5 pass protection on a dysfunctional organization has nothing to do with Carr's lack of success. Because he's never had success in the past with continuity and some talent :S.

Amari Cooper performed a lot better with Dak than he ever did with Derek. There is probably a lot more involved that just who is the better QB but through 11 games (including playoffs) he clearly was on another level after he was traded.

I'd take Carr over Dalton though, even though when Carr was drafted I thought he would be terrible but he has proven me wrong. Dalton can be good but his bad is pretty bad and that bad seems to show up at the worst times. Also Dalton is 31 so there isn't as much of a chance that it will click and he will be a top QB. Carr is only 3 years behind and odds are it won't click for him either, he is just past the age where it usually all comes together so maybe he will just be a late bloomer. Carr is on notice, this is probably the last year that we think about what he can become and we settle into this is what he is.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Amari Cooper performed a lot better with Dak than he ever did with Derek. There is probably a lot more involved that just who is the better QB but through 11 games (including playoffs) he clearly was on another level after he was traded.

I'd take Carr over Dalton though, even though when Carr was drafted I thought he would be terrible but he has proven me wrong. Dalton can be good but his bad is pretty bad and that bad seems to show up at the worst times. Also Dalton is 31 so there isn't as much of a chance that it will click and he will be a top QB. Carr is only 3 years behind and odds are it won't click for him either, he is just past the age where it usually all comes together so maybe he will just be a late bloomer. Carr is on notice, this is probably the last year that we think about what he can become and we settle into this is what he is.

And that had nothing to do with Cooper getting more 1 on 1 coverage because of the cowboys run game right?

In the first 10 games of 2015, Cooper had nearly 900 yards, which is similar to his time with dallas. Then he started getting more attention/bracketed and did not produce. So he did produce like that at times with Derek. We simply didn't have a way to get coverage off of him due to a lack of a competent tight end and running game.

I've watched every Carr game twice at minimum. I'm not saying I'm some kind of qb genius, but he didn't just fall off a cliff after 2016. Everything around him got worse, including playcalling. 

Last year, the playcalling was better, but he didn't have the talent to flourish. I can only tell you what I see, but I see a guy who could have a massive year next year easily. 

If he was on a better organization, like KC, New Orleans, etc. compared to Oakland, he would have put up numbers and no one would have any problem calling him a good qb. Even last year with minimal weapons, he kept us in games against KC and Indy with far inferior talent.

I'm not saying anyone should shower him with praise, but I'd wait till this year is done to evaluate him fully. If he has a down year this year in spite of talent/scheme continuity, then I will also want him gone. But based on who he is as a player and what he's done in the past, I feel confident in his ability to succeed and grow this year.

12 hours ago, Danger said:

It can be somewhat meaningful at times, if brought up properly. 

But if we’re going to bring up Carr’s weapons and coaching, then we ought to bring up that Cincy offensive line and Marvin Lewis. Continuity isn’t really all that important if you’re continuing mediocrity.