Top-paid Saints UDFA Carl Granderson facing jury trial in sexual assault case

Dome

The New Orleans Saints signed former Wyoming defensive end Carl Granderson after the 2019 NFL Draft, guaranteeing him $70,000 and a $15,000 signing bonus — high numbers for an undrafted free agent. Granderson’s signing and contract details were first reported by Rod Walker of the Advocate and confirmed by Josh Katzenstein of the Times-Picayune.

Granderson was projected to be a mid-round draft pick and was considered Wyoming’s top prospect, but ended up not being selected. That could be due to his looming jury trial on one count of third-degree sexual assault and one count of sexual battery against two alleged victims. Davis Potter of the Casper Star-Tribune reported that Granderson was arraigned on April 12 and has a trial scheduled for July 15; Granderson pleaded not guilty to both counts.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/saints-udfa-carl-granderson-wyoming-jury-trial-sexual-assault/

After 2 interviews, I'd hope the Saints have a feel of whether this is a jealous witch hunt, or plausible. With a guarantee like that, they must know something the main stream doesn't know.

I'd also like to think this contract has an "out" for such a thing. Guaranteed "if" type language.

We need to make sure we keep this from going into an off-limit discussion so please limit any comments that could lead to that direction.  That being said I'll say the same thing that I have with every other incident that has happened recently regardless of team.

Let's wait till the legal process has had time to run its course before we crucify him based on the allegations though if he's guilty he should have the full weight of the legal system thrown at him.

I'm sure if the evidence starts pointing towards his guilt he'll be cut immediately so I don't think the Saints signing him is a big deal, nor the optics of it.  Anyone know anything about him as a football player?

37 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm sure if the evidence starts pointing towards his guilt he'll be cut immediately so I don't think the Saints signing him is a big deal, nor the optics of it.  Anyone know anything about him as a football player?

I mean, there's enough evidence that he's been charged, had to make a plea and is now going to a jury trial. At this point I don't think we're gonna learn much else about this until the jury decides, then it's going to be pretty cut and dry IMO. It's either gonna be him being found guilty (cut) or not guilty/acquitted (has a chance to make the team).

From what I've read and seen, as a football player he seems quite limited. He was projected to go in the 6th even before being charged and pleading not guilty. He's not strong enough against the run to take on those duties as an end, and he's athletic enough to play in space (like when we've seen Cam Jordan playing some OLB and covering RBs in the flat or dropping into coverage over the middle) on a zone blitz. So it appears his best fit in the NFL would be a role we rarely see in our defense. He's a puffed up edge rushing linebacker, think a poor man's Galette.

He wasn't one of the camp bodies I was most excited about, even before this news came out. 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I mean, there's enough evidence that he's been charged, had to make a plea and is now going to a jury trial. At this point I don't think we're gonna learn much else about this until the jury decides, then it's going to be pretty cut and dry IMO. It's either gonna be him being found guilty (cut) or not guilty/acquitted (has a chance to make the team).

From what I've read and seen, as a football player he seems quite limited. He was projected to go in the 6th even before being charged and pleading not guilty. He's not strong enough against the run to take on those duties as an end, and he's athletic enough to play in space (like when we've seen Cam Jordan playing some OLB and covering RBs in the flat or dropping into coverage over the middle) on a zone blitz. So it appears his best fit in the NFL would be a role we rarely see in our defense. He's a puffed up edge rushing linebacker, think a poor man's Galette.

He wasn't one of the camp bodies I was most excited about, even before this news came out. 

Not saying it's the same, but there was enough evidence to charge Reuben Foster as well and we've seen how that's played out twice now.  That's why I'm letting the legal system handle it all the way through.  Not saying he's innocent or guilty, the claims or legit or not, just letting everything stand where it is until a decision is made one way or the other, all we can do.

Good to know about his abilities as a player.  Not sure why we offered him so much as an UDFA if that's the type of player he is regardless of anything else then.  Seems strange.

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

Not saying it's the same, but there was enough evidence to charge Reuben Foster as well and we've seen how that's played out twice now.  That's why I'm letting the legal system handle it all the way through.  Not saying he's innocent or guilty, the claims or legit or not, just letting everything stand where it is until a decision is made one way or the other, all we can do.

Foster was charged, then had the charges dropped. Granderson is going to trial. I don’t know the ins and outs of each case so I don’t know what exactly that means, but at face value it’s not great 

But I agree all we can do is let the justice system run its course 

Edited by Dome

Sounds similar to his teammate Youhanna Ghaifan, who also was a UDFA, I think is going to the Redskins camp but clearly made some mistakes as well which caused him to drop.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2018/11/28/suspended-wyoming-football-player-youhanna-ghaifan-made-sexual-advance-fort-collins-hotel-worker/2142994002/

No clue how these young football players fail to realize their actions do matter, go ask Tyreek Hill about that one.   He even got an amazing second chance to even get to the NFL, and was doing fine but still blew it and did not change his previous behavior just hid it better apparently.

I guess I'm just surprised that the Saints actually inked someone with character issues, or at least "potentially known" character issues. They don't typically go that route.

Anyway, hopefully he's clean and plays well. Otherwise, this little thread will be his 10 seconds of fame.

• Like 1