Official: Track & Field Thread

Small Town Values

Thought we already had a thread. But it must've been on the old forum. 

Anyhow... 

This is a catch-all for anything interesting happening in the world of Athletics / Track & Field. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll start with this... Kid seems to be getting a fair amount of hype. Multi-event talent in the Carl Lewis mould. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, Marc MacGyver said:

Thought we already had a thread. But it must've been on the old forum. 

Anyhow... 

This is a catch-all for anything interesting happening in the world of Athletics / Track & Field. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll start with this... Kid seems to be getting a fair amount of hype. Multi-event talent in the Carl Lewis mould. 

All I can say is wow

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, billking said:

All I can say is wow

I'm really having a hard time trying to keep a lid on my excitement over this kid's potential...

Anchor Leg (4x100)

Anchor Leg (4x400)

Boling is a damn freak.  (AKA: The Trevor Lawrence of Track) ;)

Edited by Marc MacGyver

12 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

I'm really having a hard time trying to keep a lid on my excitement over this kid's potential...

Anchor Leg (4x100)

Anchor Leg (4x400)

Boling is a damn freak.  (AKA: The Trevor Lawrence of Track) ;)

And apparently there are no real genetic traits through his family of fast runners, he just credits his work ethic.

6 hours ago, billking said:

And apparently there are no real genetic traits through his family of fast runners, he just credits his work ethic.

He still hit the genetic jackpot (Like a Math prodigy born to regular parents). I don't doubt his work ethic, but it isn't his work ethic that makes other fast guys seem pedestrian.

Let's be honest...

The reality of track is you are always looking for the next superstar who can challenge the record book. While it's great to have exciting rivalries, particularly at the Olympics. All people really care about is Olympic gold, world records & ultimately where you stack up historically.

I don't want to jinx the kid, but track needs someone to step up & fill the void in the post Bolt era. I'm hoping Matt Boling is the guy. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:54 PM, Marc MacGyver said:

He still hit the genetic jackpot (Like a Math prodigy born to regular parents). I don't doubt his work ethic, but it isn't his work ethic that makes other fast guys seem pedestrian.

Let's be honest...

The reality of track is you are always looking for the next superstar who can challenge the record book. While it's great to have exciting rivalries, particularly at the Olympics. All people really care about is Olympic gold, world records & ultimately where you stack up historically.

I don't want to jinx the kid, but track needs someone to step up & fill the void in the post Bolt era. I'm hoping Matt Boling is the guy. 

Lol yep I'm sure if I spent all my free time training to run faster I still would not have been even the fastest kid in high school. I don't know why some will only credit hard work and not give the fact they got gifted great genetics. Genetics alone wont take you all the way but they deserve some credit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Norman is the next superstar track athlete and could be the 2nd man ever to achieve the Olympic 200/400m double after Michael Johnson in Atlanta. 

Norman has already been 43.45 in the 400m this year and will seriously threaten the 43.03 WR at the World Championships in Doha. 

1 hour ago, Boknows34 said:

Michael Norman is the next superstar track athlete and could be the 2nd man ever to achieve the Olympic 200/400m double after Michael Johnson in Atlanta. 

Norman has already been 43.45 in the 400m this year and will seriously threaten the 43.03 WR at the World Championships in Doha. 

WVN vs Norman will be a thrill to watch in 2020 as they could both do the double 200/400

On 7/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, TedLavie said:
On 7/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, Boknows34 said:

WVN vs Norman will be a thrill to watch in 2020 as they could both do the double 200/400

WVN is my guy at 400.

While I admit Norman is impressive & capable of great things (He may well upset WVN in 2020). He can't be the next track superstar unless he runs the hundy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news....

JUSTIN GATLIN ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT AFTER TOKYO 2020

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/justin-gatlin-talks-retirement-lausanne-diamond-league/

Retirement would bring to an end a controversial career that included an Olympic gold medal in the 100m race at Athens 2004, then an eight-year ban for doping.

Not surprised. Still find it hard to root for the guy, though.  

• 3 months later...