Week 1 GDT: Raiders (0-0) at Titans (0-0)

Titans fan 617

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Putting up 16 points against Oakland's defense is a joke. 1 TD against a defense that will be bottom 10 in the league. 10 points last year and only 16 this year with all these  new "weapons".

That would fall to the QB.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Can't beat a good team when you can't finish in the red zone and miss at least one tackle on virtually every play. 

We needed a TD in those possessions. We held their offense to four FGs. That's a positive. But we needed to get TDs not FG. 

Our special teams also didn't come through today. 

Man, I don't want to make it sound like I'm post-week 1 ranting, but this game proves we have quite a lot of work yet to do.

Mariota just wasn't good today, and the whole offense played much worse in the second half, which you can rarely get away with in this league. Granted, he didn't seem as off as he did at the beginning of last year, but this wasn't a good game at all for him. I'd like for Taylor to see his snaps increased going forward, because I think he has the quickness to help us stretch the defense horizontally that we kind of lack right now. This may be understandable considering he's coming off an injury and I don't know if it's just me, but I thought Murray looked pretty rusty himself. But really, tackling has just been killing us in this game, and I think right now Cyprien has to be a favorite to become Robinson's worst FA signing so far. Adoree struggled, no doubt about that. Rookie CBs often do, so he shouldn't be judged too harshly. Right now, I think all there is to do is hope that experience and play time will help him fix and learn some of the things he still needs to. I think he has the talent, but I fear he's a little too soft to play outside in this league.

I don't think the score accurately reflects where we're at right now, to be honest, because I think if not for a few miscues of their own and the fact that they seemed to play it pretty conservative, the secondary could've been exposed much worse. For what it's worth, Corey flashed some things and that's a bit reassuring, while Woodyard continues to impress me. I think he's playing at a level he's never played at for us before. Other than that, I wouldn't say we're a very different team from last year. 

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'd place a lot of blame on that supposed top 5 offensive line in football.

O-line wasn't perfect, but played well enough to win. Raiders sold out vs the run, wasn't going to be very many holes. Mularkey and Robiskie both put the game in Mariota's hands and he couldn't get it done. Pass blocking was fine for the most part, Mariota just missed too often/receivers didn't get open often enough.

Just now, titans0021 said:

I'd place a lot of blame on that supposed top 5 offensive line in football.

That's fair.  Outside of like 3 runs they weren't that great.  Pass protection was alright for the most part though, and Mariota always disappoints me in big games like this.

I expected to start slow this season. Adding new receivers who hardly played in the preseason.  One who looked slow as hell today. Davis should get more PT the healthier he gets. Need to see more Taylor. Need to see more Henry on earlier downs. Don't care what anyone says, Henry is the better runner at this stage. Demarco has the clear advantage in pass-pro and receiving though. Adding 2 new DBs(3 today with Sims out). Tackling was just pathetic though. No reason Amari Cooper should be dragging 5 guys into the end zone. Lack of true playmakers also is still a concern. Too many guys running wide open. Interior OL is a huge weakness. I expect them to resign Spain but Kline is likely done after this year. 

We got average Mariota today and needed great Marcus. Should get better as the year goes on, but it's pretty clear that he's still most comfortable with Delanie and Rishard. Davis showed a lot of reasons for excitement but seemed to be on the wrong page with Marcus two or three times.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'm hoping that Decker is just getting back up to speed and this isn't Tajae Sharpe syndrome, where he just got a ton of hype because he was beating up on our terrible corners.

Not sure the obsession with the WR screens for him. Taylor is far more suited for that. Decker wins with route running, not agility.

Archived