Hypothetical : Jones vs. Haskins

Gmen

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

You give Jones in OSU, he'd probably still be behind the starting QB's until this year, given that it took a while for him to get his deep ball skills squared away.   I'd guess he'd end up as a late 2nd-3rd round pick with only 1 year of tape. 

You never know because Jones is a pretty good athlete. His ability to run would have helped him see the field sooner. Honestly could have seen Urbz use Jones like he used Alex Smith at Utah

9 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Imagine he becomes better than Haskins. People would have to eat serious crow.

For sure.  I don't think Daniel Jones is an awful QB btw, I just see him peaking at the Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Alex Smith level.  Essentially QB Purgatory ceiling. 

If he exceeds that, then yes I'll definitely be eating crow...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gmen said:

There has been a lot of outrage over the Giants selection of Daniel Jones at #6 overall. He has the looks of a franchise quarterback - good size, athleticism, mechanics, intelligence, toughness, character. However, his college production suggests he was overdrafted. Dwayne Haskins is kind of the opposite. Looks pudgy, unathletic, slow footed, but he does have a great arm his college production was record breaking in just one season. 

Ohio State had 8 players drafted in this draft in addition to Haskins, including two of his talented receivers on day two. Additionally, many Ohio State underclassmen will also be drafted in future years. Bottom line is Haskins played with a lot of talent.

Duke had 1 other player drafted. It’s been well documented that Jones’ receivers dropped 36 passes last year, and his offensive line was a turnstile. Duke is far from a football powerhouse and most of their players will not be playing football professionally. Zion Williamson unfortunately decided to focus only on basketball.

So here is the hypothetical - What if Jones played at Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke? How would their careers have turned out? How would it affect their draft position? Would everyone be so outraged at the Giants selection?

First of all good topic:

Jones:

- I actually think Jones would have been a safe, accurate passer with enough athletic ability to implement some read option plays for OSU. He definitely will have better (From what he had at Duke) numbers due to the grade of athlete/player he has, but the OL was just as bad at points, but he did well outside of the pocket anyway.

- Jones isn't the type of guy who will elevate everyone around him, just inherit the benefits of playing with those better, just looking over the last two years, what is his signature win? plus I've seen some bad losses as well. I just don't see it, I don't see a guy who can put a team on his back and take them to the promised land. Matt Ryan had BC in the top 10 in the final polls, and beat 3 ranked teams his senior year, Ben Roethlisberger had Miami U in the top 10 in the final polls and beat a few ranked teams as well, that is my idea of elevating everyone around them. Looking tOSU's schedule, and factoring in the talent increase, and a worse defense than what he had at Duke, id be hard press to say Jones would have more than 7 wins, there were games where Haskins put tOSU on his back and won, and I don't think Jones could have done in the same situation given his track record at Duke. He's not winning that PSU game, tOSU couldn't stop a nose bleed the Nebraska game an needed to outscore them in order to win, Jones isn't winning that game, he isn't winning the Maryland game, he's not beating MSU, UM or, Washington.

Haskins:

- Terry McLaurin, Johnny Dixon, Paris Campbell, and KJ Hill all had career years when Haskins took over, all of those players struggled when JT Barrett was at QB and were largely viewed as underachievers who had trouble with drops as well the year before. I could easily see Haskins raise the level of the whole team due to his leadership qualities, also looking at their schedule they could have 4 more wins with Haskins (who was 4 - 0 against teams with top 20 defenses) Stats wise, he could have similar yards, about 10 less touchdowns and 3-4 more interceptions due to their lack of threat in the run game.

Just my take on the situation

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

Imagine he becomes better than Haskins. People would have to eat serious crow.

You’d actually be surprised how good people are at avoiding eating crow. This will all be forgotten in a few years. The consensus opinion of Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson were not high. Nobody remembers that anymore 

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You’d actually be surprised how good people are at avoiding eating crow. This will all be forgotten in a few years. The consensus opinion of Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson were not high. Nobody remembers that anymore 

I'm sure you'll be here to remind folks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd be interested in your opinion on Jones before NYG drafted him

“It’s early and I reserve the right to change my mind, but Daniel Jones from Duke has Giants written all over him.  He has the athleticism and mobility to roll out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. We’ve seen Shurmur roll Eli out of the pocket with some success even though he’s not mobile.  Imagine the possibilities with Jones.  He’s considered a first round pick, but he’s going to move up the draft board quickly.”

I posted this on January 4 right after he declared. I was open to the idea of drafting any of the top 4 quarterbacks including Jones. Towards the end I was leaning towards Lock and Jones because of the mobility 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lock at 42, by a pretty big margin.

It was funny that Gmen in the Giants forum tried to tell me that it sounds like Denver settled on Lock. The other interesting argument, is the whole if Lock was your guy you should have taken him at 10 so because Elway traded down and waited to trade up to 42 to take him he couldn’t have been their top QB. It’s a cute attempt to justify the decision to reach for Jones as “he was our guy so you always take your guy you don’t mess around and risk losing him, so because of that Lock couldn’t have been Elways top QB”. Elway followed his board and got his top QB at 42. It was masterful. It is well known the infatuation Elway has with Lock. Almost every analyst that knew anything was mocking him to us for months. Elway went to watch him play live. 

• Like 3