Hypothetical : Jones vs. Haskins

Gmen

23 hours ago, Gmen said:

Not sure what Darnold has shown to inspire so much confidence in people. He had plenty of his own flaws as a prospect, and put them on display as a rookie. 

It's what he did over his last four games.  The guy came back from injury and completed 64% of his passes for 931 yards, 6 TD's, and 1 INT.  Looked like a different QB.  With a slightly improved line (Osemele), continued development from guys like Herndon who could be a top 10 TE this year, and the additions of Crowder, and Lev, the arrows are pointing up for him.  Also, his biggest flaw as a prospect was turnovers, but more specifically, fumbles.  He fumbled 5 times last year which was better than the majority of the league.  If he can limit his INT's, which he showed at times that he can, he's going to be a very good QB.  A lot are predicting a Goff-like leap from him this year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gmen said:

...nobody has the time or energy to do their own scouting. I certainly don’t. 

This is fine and all, but how are you going to openly call @TheVillain112 a troll for having a negative opinion on a player you haven’t scouted?

If you’re going to lean on the opinions of media-heads, know that there are as many negative reactions as there are positives. It’d also be pretty skeptical to call most fans out for not scouting and having a hive-mind, and then quote the likes of WalterFootball and NFL.com as debating points. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Gmen said:

A bit off topic but I remember the Giants got a lot of heat for reaching for Jason Pierre Paul. Production was bad with only 6.5 sacks. Very raw. Talk about how you shouldn’t draft someone that high just because they can do a bunch of backflips. One anonymous scout bravely said JPP was a fifth round prospect. Say what you want, but without his incredible sophomore year, the Giants don’t win the Super Bowl in 2011. 

Not an apt comparison. Jones isn’t the first player or QB for that matter to be a major reach in the draft. But with some players you can at least see reason as to why they went that route. JPP was a freak athlete, he dominated at times in college. Giants thought his upside was great. So I can see that. With Jones it’s like, what am I missing? What’s there? Eli Apple was a reach by almost everybody. Ereck flowers too. We fell in love with the physical tools. Jones arm talent is solid at best. He’s an athlete and has experience in a pro style offense. That’s it. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

No why should I? This current regime is going ruin my team and you expect me to have faith and optimism about them? You’re crazy. 

Bruh, our team made the playoffs once in the past 7 years. There is nothing to ruin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 9:37 AM, Gmen said:

There has been a lot of outrage over the Giants selection of Daniel Jones at #6 overall. He has the looks of a franchise quarterback - good size, athleticism, mechanics, intelligence, toughness, character. However, his college production suggests he was overdrafted. Dwayne Haskins is kind of the opposite. Looks pudgy, unathletic, slow footed, but he does have a great arm his college production was record breaking in just one season. 

Ohio State had 8 players drafted in this draft in addition to Haskins, including two of his talented receivers on day two. Additionally, many Ohio State underclassmen will also be drafted in future years. Bottom line is Haskins played with a lot of talent.

Duke had 1 other player drafted. It’s been well documented that Jones’ receivers dropped 36 passes last year, and his offensive line was a turnstile. Duke is far from a football powerhouse and most of their players will not be playing football professionally. Zion Williamson unfortunately decided to focus only on basketball.

So here is the hypothetical - What if Jones played at Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke? How would their careers have turned out? How would it affect their draft position? Would everyone be so outraged at the Giants selection?

Jones would have not worked out at OSU. Ryan Days scheme relied pretty heavily on Dwayne’s arm strength. Not trying to say jones has a bad arm, but Dwayne had to rifle some throws.

Also, just as an interesting debate. Why did OSU’s WRs go from undraftable the year prior to becoming high draft picks? We went from JT Barrett to Dwayne Haskins and magically the WRs looked better.

Before I get labeled a hater, I think Jones can be a better and more consistent Ryan Tannehill. Like the 2014-2016 version.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Lucky for Jones he gets to go up against the NY Giants defense every day in minicamp.

Zero pass rush. While Haskins goes up against Kerrigan, Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, and Sweat with the 3rd strong OL protecting him 😂. Reports are that he’s still looking pretty good regardless though. 

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Zero pass rush. While Haskins goes up against Kerrigan, Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, and Sweat with the 3rd strong OL protecting him 😂. Reports are that he’s still looking pretty good regardless though. 

He’ll just throw to whoever Landon Collins is trying to cover ; )

Edited by Gmen