Hypothetical : Jones vs. Haskins

Gmen

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lol Finleys arm strength is not equal to you, dude still has tons of velocity. I’m assuming you watched the 18 year old kid on Strong Opinion Sports Channel who has no utter clue what he’s talking about? But being a nice guy gets you viewers. 

As Chris Simms said, Finley might not have a 100mph fastball but he throws a 96. His arm is extremely underrated. 

Just watch, if Finley ever gets a chance he’s gonna be a Top 10 QB. That dudes intelligence, accuracy, touch, and pocket poise is already better than 80% of NFL QBs. Daniel Jones has absolutely nothing on Ryan Finley. Nothing. Beats him in zero categories. 

For real? A man can't make a joke these days without people thinking they are serious. 

I like Finley a good deal, but his mobility is subpar and his arm strength is definitely an issue.  He can overcome them, but those two factors are primarily why I think he went in the 4th round instead of the First round.  He'll have to be Brady in the pocket essentially meaning everything has to be perfect to become a top tier QB...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:
2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Naw she told you that she just wanted to see how you’d react because of how you would have reacted. And you’ve probably shown her some of that possessive side of you in the last sixth months that she just doesn’t want to even elicit with a wrong answer. She really wanted to have lunch with him but chose to respect you to your knowledge. Who knows if she still went another time.

That's garbage, dude. You know nothing about this guy's relationship and you're way out of line with your feeling the need to suggest she has an unfaithful nature. 

Then your grabbing the word "possessive" and turning him into some kind of control freak who his gf is afraid to be honest around and will eventually go behind his back with her ex. Seriously a garbage post

...like, what the hell is going on with this conversation? 

Edit, saw this was cleared up. Ok, so...um...Jones? Jones? Jones, anyone?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

For real? A man can't make a joke these days without people thinking they are serious. 

I like Finley a good deal, but his mobility is subpar and his arm strength is definitely an issue.  He can overcome them, but those two factors are primarily why I think he went in the 4th round instead of the First round.  He'll have to be Brady in the pocket essentially meaning everything has to be perfect to become a top tier QB...

At the very least, Finley is a much better prospect than Jones. I prefer Finleys arm strength over Jones to be honest. As for the Top Six QB Prospects when it comes to arm strength I’d have Finley QB4 and Jones QB6. Overall I had Finley QB2 and Jones QB6. Both the Simms also had Jones as QB6 and QB7 along with a ton of scouts and media people including McShay who also had him as QB6 and a proclaimed backup. Jones is far far from a special prospect. Take the media hype out of it and I select Jones in the 3rd or 4th Round. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/30/2019 at 6:37 AM, Gmen said:

There has been a lot of outrage over the Giants selection of Daniel Jones at #6 overall. He has the looks of a franchise quarterback - good size, athleticism, mechanics, intelligence, toughness, character. However, his college production suggests he was overdrafted. Dwayne Haskins is kind of the opposite. Looks pudgy, unathletic, slow footed, but he does have a great arm his college production was record breaking in just one season. 

Ohio State had 8 players drafted in this draft in addition to Haskins, including two of his talented receivers on day two. Additionally, many Ohio State underclassmen will also be drafted in future years. Bottom line is Haskins played with a lot of talent.

Duke had 1 other player drafted. It’s been well documented that Jones’ receivers dropped 36 passes last year, and his offensive line was a turnstile. Duke is far from a football powerhouse and most of their players will not be playing football professionally. Zion Williamson unfortunately decided to focus only on basketball.

So here is the hypothetical - What if Jones played at Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke? How would their careers have turned out? How would it affect their draft position? Would everyone be so outraged at the Giants selection?

Haskins had better talent around him, no one's denying that.  But let's not act like, if you watched Jones, you didn't see plenty of his passes sail over his WR's heads.  The "drops" excuse can only be taken so far:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

At the very least, Finley is a much better prospect than Jones. I prefer Finleys arm strength over Jones to be honest. As for the Top Six QB Prospects when it comes to arm strength I’d have Finley QB4 and Jones QB6. Overall I had Finley QB2 and Jones QB6. Both the Simms also had Jones as QB6 and QB7 along with a ton of scouts and media people including McShay who also had him as QB6 and a proclaimed backup. Jones is far far from a special prospect. Take the media hype out of it and I select Jones in the 3rd or 4th Round. 

Brandt, Kirwan, Casserly among others were high on Jones. It’s not an exact science, and there are a lot of differing opinions. The Giants may have overdrafted Jones by 10 or so picks,  But if you’re trying to sell a fourth round pick as being better than the #6 overall pick, maybe you should re-evaluate your scouting approach. Maybe you’re missing something, because a lot of people with much more credibility than you (no offense) disagree with your assessment. 

Furthermore, there was no media hype around Jones, hence the shock when he was drafted at #6. But, Jim Nagy, a draft writer for ESPN said the majority of teams he spoke to had Jones rated higher than Haskins. About a week before the draft we started hearing rumors that NFL personnel were much higher on Jones than the media knew.

Edited by Gmen

10 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Brandt, Kirwan, Casserly among others were high on Jones. It’s not an exact science, and there are a lot of differing opinions. The Giants may have overdrafted Jones by 10 or so picks,  But if you’re trying to sell a fourth round pick as being better than the #6 overall pick, maybe you should re-evaluate your scouting approach. Maybe you’re missing something, because a lot of people with much more credibility than you (no offense) disagree with your assessment. 

Furthermore, there was no media hype around Jones, hence the shock when he was drafted at #6. But, Jim Nagy, a draft writer for ESPN said the majority of teams he spoke to had Jones rated higher than Haskins.

Jones was over drafted wayyyy more than 10 picks. Being at 17 people were saying would of been an acceptable over draft more than 6. If he’s your guy he’s your guy. But Jones is not a 1st Round QB by any means. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Finley is way more athletic than you are giving him credit for. He runs just fine and actually pretty quick. Maybe Jones edges him, but barely. 

Than I am giving him credit for? I just asked about athleticism sheesh

19 hours ago, Gmen said:

“It’s early and I reserve the right to change my mind, but Daniel Jones from Duke has Giants written all over him.  He has the athleticism and mobility to roll out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. We’ve seen Shurmur roll Eli out of the pocket with some success even though he’s not mobile.  Imagine the possibilities with Jones.  He’s considered a first round pick, but he’s going to move up the draft board quickly.”

I posted this on January 4 right after he declared. I was open to the idea of drafting any of the top 4 quarterbacks including Jones. Towards the end I was leaning towards Lock and Jones because of the mobility 

Fair play

No one will care if Jones pans out, but Gettleman is inconsistent with his logic, which everyone has a problem with:

2018: Barkley is TOO GOOD to pass on. He's the best player in the draft.

2019: Jones will help us out, even if it means sitting on the bench for 3 years.

You can't have it both ways. He's brought this on himself.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No one will care if Jones pans out, but Gettleman is inconsistent with his logic, which everyone has a problem with:

2018: Barkley is TOO GOOD to pass on. He's the best player in the draft.

2019: Jones will help us out, even if it means sitting on the bench for 3 years.

You can't have it both ways. He's brought this on himself.

Gettleman nailed the 2018 draft. He was right, Barkley was too good to pass up for a bunch of quarterbacks with flaws. And one of those quarterbacks has already been traded for a late 2nd round pick, which only helps vindicate Gettleman. Meanwhile, Barkley is the most talented running back I’ve ever seen, and that’s not a hyperbole. I’d much rather have Barkley and Jones, than Darnold and Allen.

Gettleman says a lot of things. He also said they weren’t going to trade OBJ. His 3 year comment was meant to show support for Eli more than anything. But if the Giants get off to a rough start, and they probably will because we’re in a rebuilding stage, you’ll see Jones play in 2019.

Just now, Gmen said:

Gettleman nailed the 2018 draft. He was right, Barkley was too good to pass up for a bunch of quarterbacks with flaws.

So far maybe. We'll see what Darnold does. If Darnold ends up becoming LEGIT, then he would have been better off drafting him and then getting Nick Chubb in the 2nd round.

Just now, Gmen said:

And one of those quarterbacks has already been traded for a late 2nd round pick, which only helps vindicate Gettleman.

Literally no one thought Rosen would be/should be the pick at #2. It was Darnold or "no one" for them as far as QB goes.

Just now, Gmen said:

Meanwhile, Barkley is the most talented running back I’ve ever seen, and that’s not a hyperbole.

You never saw Barry Sanders for sure, probably not LT or Marshall Faulk, and maybe not even prime AD. He's great though.

Just now, Gmen said:

I’d much rather have Barkley and Jones, than Darnold and Allen.

You could also have some combination of Darnold, Chubb, and Allen. 

Just now, Gmen said:

Gettleman says a lot of things. He also said they weren’t going to trade OBJ.

Again, he's bringing this very warranted criticism on himself. He's a proven liar.

Just now, Gmen said:

His 3 year comment was meant to show support for Eli more than anything.

He's some combination of blind, stupid, or a liar...if not all three.

Just now, Gmen said:

But if the Giants get off to a rough start, and they probably will because we’re in a rebuilding stage, you’ll see Jones play in 2019.

As well they should. TBH, any team with a 1st round QB should start that guy the second they are eliminated from playoff contention, so long as their OL can protect him.

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Gettleman nailed the 2018 draft. He was right, Barkley was too good to pass up for a bunch of quarterbacks with flaws. And one of those quarterbacks has already been traded for a late 2nd round pick, which only helps vindicate Gettleman. Meanwhile, Barkley is the most talented running back I’ve ever seen, and that’s not a hyperbole. I’d much rather have Barkley and Jones, than Darnold and Allen.

Gettleman says a lot of things. He also said they weren’t going to trade OBJ. His 3 year comment was meant to show support for Eli more than anything. But if the Giants get off to a rough start, and they probably will because we’re in a rebuilding stage, you’ll see Jones play in 2019.

Well that’s stupid. Barkley was too good to pass up for QBs with flaws but Josh Allen wasn’t  too good to pass for a QB who has even more flaws? 

Barkley was supposed to complement Odell and vice versa. So getting rid of Odell just devalues the Barkley pick because we all know how defenses are gonna defend us 

• Like 1