Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM? Post-Draft - Make Your Picks Here

y2lamanaki

Here goes an attempted at the Post Draft Version had alot of fun with live version but you tend to get caught up with other posts and the drama of it all. 

With this one will put reasons for me picks since i am trying to kill some time at work today. 

1.2 - Joey Bosa DE Ohio State - We need pass rush from the edge even with the addition of Dee Ford can't rely on Thomas or Armstead for outside pressure. Plus this allows Solly to move to DT which is a better position for him.

Others considered Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell. If Montez Sweat had lasted to our 2nd round pick i would of gone Quennin Williams.

2.36 - Greg Little OT Ole Miss - I really wanted Jawaan Taylor, Rock Ya-Sin in this spot but they went the picks just before ours. Ideally a trade down would of been the way to go but instead i went with Staley''s replacement since he isn't getting any younger. Little is good in pass protection but still a work in progess with run blocking. Still the upside is there.

Others considered AJ Brown, Miles Sanders, Nasir Adderly.

3.67 - Miles Boykin WR Notre Dame - My Draft crush of this year. His raw but the the talent is there.

Others considered Chase Winovich,  David Long, Justin Layne.

4.110 - Mitch Wishnowsky P Utah - His from my home town the chances of the 49ers drafting someone from there again since its Australia is slim to none. Plus the need for a punter was there and he was by far the best punter in the draft. The further on from this draft the more i like this pick i just don't like the spot we could of traded down half a round and still got him.  But since no trades in this his the pick.

Others Considered Christian Miller, Amani Hooker, Phil Haynes, Drue Tranquill, Foster Moreau

5.148 - Justin Hollins Edge Oregon - Can never have enough rushers and he has the speed to rush the passer just needs to add some strength.

Others Considered Mack Wilson, Blake Cashman, Joe Jackson,  Jordan Miller

6.176 - Lamont Gaillard G/C UGA - Offensive Line Depth is needed.
6.183 - Armon Watts DT - Pass rushing DT if its one thing that Minnesota can do is develop DL so he could be good in a few years.
6.196 - Kris Boyd CB Texas - Finally some secondary help.

• Like 1

1. Nick Bosa - Edge - don't mess around. Just take the best player at a position of need

2. Dalton Risner - OL - can start at C or OG and back up at T. 

3. Miles Boykin - WR - has the size we need. His QBs in college were tripe and will only improve with better QB play and play calling.

4. Amani Ariwariye - CB - good depth player in the 4th at a position that needs depth. Could be good enough as a starter.

5. D'Andre Walker - SAM - we need a decent SAM. He could be it.

6. Kaden Smith - TE - no problem with this pick. 

6. David  Long -LB- need depth in the 6th

6. Dennis Daley - OT - more depth where our depth is questionable

• Like 2

1.2. Nick Bosa DE

2.36. JJ Arcega Whiteside WR

3.67. Connor McGovern OG

4.110. Amani Hooker S
5.148. Darius Slayton WR

6.176. Kaden Smith TE

6.183.  Joe Giles Harris LB
6.196. Tim Harris CB 

I think this is a tad better than what we ended up with.

Besides the punter that is....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTMW78 said:

1.2. Nick Bosa DE

2.36. JJ Arcega Whiteside WR

3.67. Connor McGovern OG

4.110. Amani Hooker S
5.148. Darius Slayton WR

6.176. Kaden Smith TE

6.183.  Joe Giles Harris LB
6.196. Tim Harris CB 

I think this is a tad better than what we ended up with.

Besides the punter that is....

Ha ha, you just watch that punter be a 15 year starter for us :) Like picks 2, 3 and 4 by the way.

• Like 2

2. DL Nick Bosa
36. WR Deebo Samuel 
67. S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
110. OG Dru Samia
148. LB Blake Cashman
176. TE Kaden Smith
183. WR Kelvin Harmon
196. CB Tim Harris

I love Deebo's fit in our offense. I like what Hurd can be, but I didn't want to pass up Chauncey. I like the fact that we took a punter,  but not where/when we did. I think we missed out on adding depth for our interior OL. I love Greenlaw's story, but I like Cashman's tape. Smith will replace Celek. Harmon is a true big-body RZ threat and Harris is a nice potential secondary piece.

• Like 2

1.2 - Nick Bosa EDGE, Ohio State: This pick is obvious. We need elite talent rushing the passer from the edge. We get the best in the draft.

2.36 - Deebo Samuel WR, South Carolina: I really considered A.J. Brown, I love A.J. Brown. But, I love Deebo too, and I think Deebo is going to have the better career of the two. I LOVE Deebo's fit in this offense.

3.67 - Justin Layne CB, Michigan State: This was a toss-up between Layne and Dawson Knox. To me, Layne is just too good of a corner to pass up. He's long, athletic, and a playmaker. I wanted to target a corner early in this draft because I fear major injuries or development letdowns can easily happen to just about every corner on our roster.

4.110 - Foster Moreau TE, LSU: I really, really like Moreau. He's a capable pass catcher and a very good run blocker. He's a perfect #2 TE and I believe he could step in and see playing time right away.

5.148 - Dre Greenlaw OLB, Arkansas: I struggled with this one. I didn't love the value left on the board and I'm unsure about the other LB's available. I chose to keep this pick for a few reasons - 1. Greenlaw is the kind of person you want on your team, 2. His play style is the future of the NFL, as in, he's a lighter LB who can run and cover, 3. He's an exceptional special teams guy and will provide immediate value.

6.176 - Saquan Hampton S, Rutgers: Since I took a better TE earlier in the draft, I'm now turning my attention to a potential steal here in Hampton. He's not super athletic, but he's instinctive and smart. I've liked him for a while now.

6.183 - Justin Skule OT, Vanderbilt: I'm pretty confident that Skule would still be here at this pick. I like Skule over some of the remaining tackles, mainly for his pass protection abilities. He's not super athletic, but he's very smart and technically sound.

6.198 - Kelvin Harmon WR, N.C. State: I've been on the Harmon bandwagon since day 1. I love that I can get him here in the 6th.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

6.183 - Kelvin Harmon WR, N.C. State: I've been on the Harmon bandwagon since day 1. I love that I can get him here in the 6th.

6.198 - Justin Skule OT, Vanderbilt: I'm pretty confident that Skule would still be here at this pick. I like Skule over some of the remaining tackles, mainly for his pass protection abilities. He's not super athletic, but he's very smart and technically sound.

You can't take a player after he was drafted, even if it was by our own 49ers. You would have to assume that he would have been taken. However, Harmon went after pick 198 and Skule was taken with #183. If you want to edit the post and flip the 2 picks, you'll be fine. 

13 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

You can't take a player after he was drafted, even if it was by our own 49ers. You would have to assume that he would have been taken. However, Harmon went after pick 198 and Skule was taken with #183. If you want to edit the post and flip the 2 picks, you'll be fine. 

Fixed. Thanks for catching that.

• Like 1

I'm sure I can come up with a better draft after the fact but will just leave it from what I had in the live draft. That's more realistic and I'm sure teams may end up drafting different if they knew how the draft would shake out after the fact lol.

1.2 Nick Bosa, SDE/LEO Ohio State - An excellent complement for Dee Ford. His college pass rush win rate as a Freshman was as good as guys like Josh Allen and Brian Burns this year. He is a top tier player worth the pick who will a cornerstone of the defense along with DeForest Buckner. (Considered: Quinnen Williams as a player who was perhaps more dominant in absolute terms in college and had a better injury history though playing at a position of less roster need; Josh Allen as a slightly better roster harmony fit, Nick Bosa's best position in the scheme is probably SDE kicking inside on passing downs. We have a couple of those that we'd like to see pan out and still may given proper opportunity. Allen's is a SAM playing end on passing downs, which is exactly what the roster was asking for. Now, the SAM role on running downs is less relevent than all other positions, and the team can still use their talented defensive line effectively with Bosa. It just isn't perfectly ideal roster harmony; there's a little role overlap and personnel inefficiency)

2.36 Deebo Samuel, WR South Carolina - I have warmed on Deebo's specific fit in helping against man coverage, experience with Z, and running terrifying slant routes. This is besides the fact that playing in San Francisco with Jimmy G and especially Shanahan is likely to make him more effective than A.J. Brown might be, even if both have similar underlying performance (Considered: A.J. Brown as the more profilic and healthier of the two stocky tackle breaking receivers with wiggle, Dalton Risner as initial IOL depth+starting capability and the eventual replacement for Joe Staley)

3.67 Justin Layne, CB Michigan State - Our biggest problems left to address in this draft were secondary players of about every stripe but especially FS, receivers that can beat man coverage/good in the red zone, IOL starters/depth, and a top pass rushing edge player to bookend Dee Ford. I've nabbed two answers to those four problems so far. Justin Layne is just about how you'd draw up a CB for our scheme. He is excellent reading the ball and the player in off-man and cover three coverage and can use his long arms in press man. He is a converted WR - like a certain other highly successful corner on our team - and knows how to high point the ball. He is a future starter after Sherman moves on or a current one if Witherspoon withers as badly as he did in the first half of this past season again. (Considered: Dieonte Thompson and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson as single-high FS, Hjalte Froholt and Dru Samia as IOL pieces)

4.110 Dieonte Thompson, FS Alabama - Ditto the comment about needs for Justin Layne. Dieonte had his fair share of difficult moments as FS for the Crimson Tide late on this past season, but flashed huge playmaking talent in the front end. He'd offer a chance at much needed improvement over last season's abysmal and injured Ward+Colbert tandem and is an excellent scheme fit as a true FS in single-high looks. Though both Ward and Colbert may be capable of better performances, they are both also versatile and can be used across the defense in addition to Dieonte or in place of him. Plus, their injury history is such that it is unwise to count on performance from them. (Considered:  Hjalte Froholt and Dru Samia as IOL pieces)

5.148 Joe Jackson, SDE/LEO Miami - Entering the fifth round, I was just about cleaned out of IOL prospects I thought capable of contributing meaningfully and turned my mind to finding as much falling value as possible. Jackson was a highly productive pass rusher throughout his time in college and gives you basically Nick Bosa-lite in just about every category. About the same height and weight. Not the athlete Bosa is, especially in 10-yd split and flexibility. Reasonably useful with his hands, but certainly not Bosa good. Strong, but not as effective with his strength. Still, having the ability to rotate Jackson in to spell Bosa and count on similar (if diminished) qualities from him is a useful thing. Plus, I had him pegged as a roughly similar player to L.J. Collier, who went in the first round. (Considered: Jaquon Johnson as box safety depth)

6.176 Jaquon Johnson, SS Miami - Similar to the last round, I was simply looking for players who were effective enough in a similar role to one on our team to indicate that they could start in this league if asked. Johnson was excellent in a box safety role in college, even if his athletic testing was far from impressive. He could be another Swiss army knife piece to use, provide injury insurance for the fragile Jaquiski Tartt, and press and give even more alternatives to a secondary that - let's not forget - was the very worst in the NFL last season by a wide margin. (Considered: Penny Hart, quality slot WR; Ken Webster nickel corner; Chandler Cox versatile offensive piece, Isaac Nauta blocking TE/FB, Justin Skule swing tackle)

6.183 Justin Skule, OT Vanderbilt - I like the thinking behind this pick. He's a versatile tackle with upside and can initially provide depth to every position on the offensive line with the ceiling of hopefully giving an answer when Joe Staley leaves. (Considered: Penny Hart, quality slot WR; Ken Webster nickel corner; Chandler Cox versatile offensive piece, Isaac Nauta TE)

6.198 Isaac Nauta, TE Georgia - a Celek Time replacement that can double as depth behind Juice. (Considered: Penny Hart, quality slot WR; Ken Webster nickel corner, Chandler Cox versatile offensive piece)

• Like 2