Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
muncher

heading to arizona friday

Recommended Posts

for a week vacation. flying into phoenix. staying in gilbert then up to flagstaff.

what is a must see, do and eat?

thanks

ill check it out so when i go back for a steelers game ill have first hand experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Grand Canyon

Sedona

Winslow (for the Eagles song and Route 66)

doing grand canyon and sedona

what specifically in sedona?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, muncher said:

doing grand canyon and sedona

what specifically in sedona?

Primarily the scenery, but if you're into hiking and stuff, some great trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You could probably catch a STD in Tempe. 

Edited by Money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta hit up "Whiskey Row" in Prescott - not sure what it's become, but 20-30 years ago, well, it's just what it sounds like.

Jerome - old mining town

I was always partial to Payson, AZ, and the Mogollon Rim area, for the scenery.

And if you are going to bother to head out to Winslow, AZ, may as well go a little further and go check out Monument Valley.

Another neat little area north/northeast of Phoenix, about 30 minutes, is Carefree/Cave Creek area... used to be some neat restaurants up that way.

But if you are looking for the party scene, as was mentioned...Tempe... specifically Mill Ave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Gotta hit up "Whiskey Row" in Prescott - not sure what it's become, but 20-30 years ago, well, it's just what it sounds like.

Jerome - old mining town

I was always partial to Payson, AZ, and the Mogollon Rim area, for the scenery.

And if you are going to bother to head out to Winslow, AZ, may as well go a little further and go check out Monument Valley.

Another neat little area north/northeast of Phoenix, about 30 minutes, is Carefree/Cave Creek area... used to be some neat restaurants up that way.

But if you are looking for the party scene, as was mentioned...Tempe... specifically Mill Ave.

Dirk Bentleys Whiskey Row is legit. Im a big cigar guy also and there is a legit cigar shop right next to it. There was a great irish bar around the corner also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks guys

just got back

hiked superstition mountains, tortilla flat, canyon lake(cold), sedona was awesome. hiked a few trails and climbed a couple vortexes, jeep tour, red river crossing swimming hole(frigid), grand canyon, couple breweries in flagstaff, hit carefree on the way back down. family needed a pic at the corner of ho and hum, awesome burgers at horny toad bar, had a quick beer at a steelers bar down the road too.

beautiful area

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, muncher said:

thanks guys

just got back

hiked superstition mountains, tortilla flat, canyon lake(cold), sedona was awesome. hiked a few trails and climbed a couple vortexes, jeep tour, red river crossing swimming hole(frigid), grand canyon, couple breweries in flagstaff, hit carefree on the way back down. family needed a pic at the corner of ho and hum, awesome burgers at horny toad bar, had a quick beer at a steelers bar down the road too.

beautiful area

 

That's it? O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:34 PM, Chieferific said:

That's it? O.o

plus family wedding in apache junction, went to topgolf in gilbert, meet my buddies kid for a few beers (who is doing an internship in phoenix), goldfield tourist scam,. oh, and the phoenix zoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, muncher said:

thanks guys

just got back

hiked superstition mountains, tortilla flat, canyon lake(cold), sedona was awesome. hiked a few trails and climbed a couple vortexes, jeep tour, red river crossing swimming hole(frigid), grand canyon, couple breweries in flagstaff, hit carefree on the way back down. family needed a pic at the corner of ho and hum, awesome burgers at horny toad bar, had a quick beer at a steelers bar down the road too.

beautiful area

 

That's awesome the horny toad is still around. I went there back in the mid-80s, as a teen I know I'm dating myself, haha.

I forgot to mention Slide Rock just north of Sedona in Oak Creek canyon. That area is beautiful as well if you drove north of Sedona at all. Bunch of A-frames along the 'crik'... pretty neat. And those switchbacks on 89a just north of Oak Creek are no joke, as well.

Sounds like a one-off vacation but if you ever go back and it appears you enjoy hiking, you should try the highline trail on the mogollon rim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, Ward4HOF said:

That's awesome the horny toad is still around. I went there back in the mid-80s, as a teen I know I'm dating myself, haha.

I forgot to mention Slide Rock just north of Sedona in Oak Creek canyon. That area is beautiful as well if you drove north of Sedona at all. Bunch of A-frames along the 'crik'... pretty neat. And those switchbacks on 89a just north of Oak Creek are no joke, as well.

Sounds like a one-off vacation but if you ever go back and it appears you enjoy hiking, you should try the highline trail on the mogollon rim.

we found out quick that it was too early for the swimming holes.........we would have done slide rock and grasshopper point if the water was warmer/.

we did the 89a trip 3 times going back and forth to flagstaff.......unbelievable.

dont worry, i was a teen in the 80's also

unless the highline trail and mogollon rim are easy/moderate trails (at most,) these 4 surgery knees couldnt handle it...........lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×