Javon Wims

SLCbear

I really want to see Wims used more this season...watching or WRs getting locked up at the LOS against the eagles in that playoff game showed that in many ways we should take the same approach at WR as we are at RB...whichever tool best fits the job...Wims made more sense than Gabriel in that game so having diverse skill sets makes all the difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I really want to see Wims used more this season...watching or WRs getting locked up at the LOS against the eagles in that playoff game showed that in many ways we should take the same approach at WR as we are at RB...whichever tool best fits the job...Wims made more sense than Gabriel in that game so having diverse skill sets makes all the difference.

That's a good observation.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

LOL since HS he has to beg for opportunity to even play.  Then ends up leading the team.  Funny if that trend continued. 

Being told that you WILL  start if you choose  GA ...  SEC national champ contender  GA  is hardly begging for  opportunity ...

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Ya not going to quash  Wims at LOS.  I think Wims will shine most  in  playoffs  when games slow down   and  also grind it out reg season  games  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Drafting Ridley really throws a monkey wrench in that receiver room.  Decisions are going to have to be made this year and next year.  They drafted into what has become our deepest position.

I think  that it will all  work itself out  ... Pace could  even  trade  one of these  guys 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Wims can play.

I know he is a similar size to Allen Robinson, but he looks so much bigger and he plays like Brandon Marshall in his ability to just bully DBs at the top of the routes with his body.

This is pretty much how I see him as well.  He doesn't have the acceleration and speed to beat a good CB deep but he has an ability like Marshall to dominate with size and strength coupled with AJs ability to go up and high point throws.  Great balance and body control as well. 

He's what I typically refer to as an "aircraft carrier" type wideout.  He should be a valuable backup to ARob.

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Wims can play.

I know he is a similar size to Allen Robinson, but he looks so much bigger and he plays like Brandon Marshall in his ability to just bully DBs at the top of the routes with his body.

We talking about the preseason reps he got against guys doing the same job as me now or those against college DBs? I ask because I certainly haven’t seen nearly enough of him against NFL starting level players to know whether he has that ability against top tier competition at this level yet. Not saying he can’t - just that we have a REALLY small sample size and that in that sample he had a 4/32/0 game and was hardly a dominant force. If the team were sure he could play at this level then him having to wait until week 17 to get reps over Bellamy doesn’t make a great deal of sense, especially given Miller’s nagging injuries all year and Robinson’s time missed midseason. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We talking about the preseason reps he got against guys doing the same job as me now or those against college DBs? I ask because I certainly haven’t seen nearly enough of him against NFL starting level players to know whether he has that ability against top tier competition at this level yet. Not saying he can’t - just that we have a REALLY small sample size and that in that sample he had a 4/32/0 game and was hardly a dominant force. If the team were sure he could play at this level then him having to wait until week 17 to get reps over Bellamy doesn’t make a great deal of sense, especially given Miller’s nagging injuries all year and Robinson’s time missed midseason. 

You forget that Bellamy could play all three WR position whereas Wims was only prepared to play one and was still learning an offense far more complex than was played in preseason.

Despite the level of competition his body control and his ability catch tough balls were still evident throughout preseason.  When you couple that with his size you can see his upside.

Even top ranked rookie WRs typically take a full season to adjust the NFL game, to their QBs, and their QBs to them.  Ridley is gonna push him hard so let's see how he does in year two.

Is he still ascending or has he topped out?