Should Haskins sit his Rookie Year?

Arron Rodgers sat behind Bret Farve. Patrick Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith. Why can't Haskins sit behing Keenum and learn before being rushed to start his rookie season? I don't want Haskins rushed into the starting lineup. I want to give him time to learn the playbook and learn the NFL QB position! Anyone else agree with me? You still have him for 4 years afterwards remind everyone being the team could pick up his 5th year option. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Jobs are on the line. He will start.

I agree. He will. 

But the question is whether he should sit. I think the answer is yes. 

When I’m thinking about whether a young QB should play as a rookie, I’m thinking about it as a long-term investment. Can he play as a rookie and benefit from it — not be overwhelmed, beaten down, and inhibited by it? In other words, how will he defend himself against NFL defenses (and start to hurt them back)?

Does he have a ton of experience that has prepared him for everything defenses will throw at him? Does he have the ability to use his legs as a weapon when things break down around him? Does he have the ability to hurt the defense with deep balls down the field to back them off? Does he have great weapons that will bail him out when things get dicey? Does he have a dominant run game that will allow him to only make easy throws? Does he have an offensive line that will keep him standing and give him that extra time he’ll need?

When it comes to the situation with Haskins, I don’t think he’s in a great position to succeed here. He has very little experience for a top QB prospect. He’s not a runner. His deeper throws (15-20 yards and beyond) are inconsistent and still need work. His passing game weapons are very poor and extremely injury prone. The run game has potential but it’s sporadic, in large part because the OL is also very injury prone. 

He’s going to have to be learning — a lot — as he goes along. And I just don’t think he has the personnel around him to help smooth out that learning curve if he’s thrown right into the fire. We’re looking for steady, healthy growth from the guy, and I think that requires patience and a controlled development process — as opposed to the “sink or swim” development that comes when you’re not sure what you’re seeing, except for Khalil Mack or Fletcher Cox bearing down on you and Josh Doctson or Vernon Davis as your only healthy receivers and an impatient fanbase frustrated with yet another mistake. 

• Like 2

I do believe he’s likely to start early on though. 

It’s just not consistent with Gruden’s personal incentives to leave the future of the franchise sitting on the sidelines while his hot seat burns a hole in his track pants. 

Which is why I think I might consider extending Gruden’s contract for another year (to 2021). Perhaps that would put him at ease about his job security and properly incentivize him to focus more on teaching Haskins and getting him ready to be a star in 2020. Instead of just throwing the rookie out there as a “Hail Mary” in hopes that Haskins shows flashes of brilliance and saves his job. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

I want to reiterate that I do believe he SHOULD sit a yr & learn. It would probably be best for him.

But with Jay probably on the hot seat, although extended through 2020? I don't think he'll have that luxury.

And I certainly don't want Haskins in there, when the team is banged up In the middle of the season neither.

You either sit him all year, or you start him right away.

With 4 of our first 5 games being tough divisional opponents, I think you see what this kid is made of.

If we had an easier schedule at the top? I could see the decision to sit him, much more understandable.

Then you have to factor in Hard Knocks, which remains a possibility.

Unless Haskins is banged up early or really struggling in pre season?

I'd say there's a strong chance, he's our opening day starter.

It’s really up to Haskins if he starts. If he earns the job, fine. If not, no problem hopefully he’s trying like heck to get the job. Last year Mayfield came on in week 3, got his coach fired and had a pretty good season. 

Should he only if he doesn't win job in preseason,and we winning with him on bench,losing record or if he outplays C and C patchwork QBs he should start.

Haskins is in a better spot then most Rookies QBs that get thrown into the starting spot year one in my view.
Things he has going for him
Good Oline(When healthy)
Good Run game
and our OC and and his College OC comes from same coaching tree/scheme so he has knowledge of what we want done coming in and not learning everything brand new.

In a Perfect world for me in his devolpment would be Sit him first 5 games to learn see speed of NFL without getting thrown into 3 division games and Bears Pats,then Start game 5 vs Dolphins followed be a winnable sched of 49ers Vikings Bills Jets and Lions.

Personally, I'd have him sit the first five games:

@ Philadelphia
v Dallas
v Chicago (MNF)
@ NY Giants
v New England

Give him a stretch where he's got a fighting chance (@ Miami, v San Francisco, @ Minnesota (TNF), @ Buffalo) to get his feet under him instead of throwing him straight to the wolves.

• Like 3