Rebuilding Whirlwind

FinSting

Still can't believe this whirlwind of positivity actually happened. Dumping lots of bad contracts, making some (gasp) intelligent trades, beefing up the trenches in the draft, adding a 22-year-old young buck QB from UCLA (by way of Arizona). 

Speaking of the draft, next year Fins have ALL their 2020 draft picks in the 7 rounds. Been like 6 years since that happened (had to look it up). Plus a precious extra 2nd rd pick (from Saints), sahweeet. Also an extra pick in the 4th (from Titans), 6th (from Cowboys) and 7th (from Chiefs). Eleven picks gathered in the treasure chest so far. With potential compensation picks looming too. Maybe even get a late pick in trade to dump Jones' bloated salary and swap him to a contending team? One can hope. 

Couple months ago, the short-term future was looking quite bleak. No one cared about the Fins, hardly a blip on the NFL radar other than "let's laugh and point at the Fins, wondering if they will go 0-16." Since last week, things are radically different...Fins have been in the national spotlight with the Rosen dealio. All the talking heads talkin' their heads bout Miami. In a good way, not bad. 

I don't care the roster still has lots of holes, hey it's a rebuild after all. All this attention is a refreshing change!

3 hours ago, FinSting said:

Still can't believe this whirlwind of positivity actually happened. Dumping lots of bad contracts, making some (gasp) intelligent trades, beefing up the trenches in the draft, adding a 22-year-old young buck QB from UCLA (by way of Arizona). 

Speaking of the draft, next year Fins have ALL their 2020 draft picks in the 7 rounds. Been like 6 years since that happened (had to look it up). Plus a precious extra 2nd rd pick (from Saints), sahweeet. Also an extra pick in the 4th (from Titans), 6th (from Cowboys) and 7th (from Chiefs). Eleven picks gathered in the treasure chest so far. With potential compensation picks looming too. Maybe even get a late pick in trade to dump Jones' bloated salary and swap him to a contending team? One can hope. 

Couple months ago, the short-term future was looking quite bleak. No one cared about the Fins, hardly a blip on the NFL radar other than "let's laugh and point at the Fins, wondering if they will go 0-16." Since last week, things are radically different...Fins have been in the national spotlight with the Rosen dealio. All the talking heads talkin' their heads bout Miami. In a good way, not bad. 

I don't care the roster still has lots of holes, hey it's a rebuild after all. All this attention is a refreshing change!

Miami gave up their 2020 5th rounder for Rosen in the deal.  But should be getting back a comp 3rd (James) and comp 4th (Wake).  Thanks Denver and Tennessee for over paying!!!!!

2020 Draft is already slotted to have more "elite" talent.

Edited by Rgossett07

This is a great feeling, this whole offseason feels different. Flores is different. After the rookie mini-camp, we may have some more young players under contract. They have a ton of tryouts. Lets just hope that for once, the injury bug leaves us alone.

15 hours ago, FinSting said:

Speaking of the draft, next year Fins have ALL their 2020 draft picks in the 7 rounds. Been like 6 years since that happened (had to look it up). Plus a precious extra 2nd rd pick (from Saints), sahweeet. Also an extra pick in the 4th (from Titans), 6th (from Cowboys) and 7th (from Chiefs). Eleven picks gathered in the treasure chest so far. With potential compensation picks looming too.

I've been saying this for years: good and smart FOs accumulate extra picks.  It's so damn refreshing for us to have 10 or so picks, and at least one in every round.  It pissed me off every single draft when we come out with less than 7 players, or go long stretches without a pick.

Perhaps Grier really knows what he is doing.  And assuming he does, it pisses me off that our dumbass owner handed the reins to t-bomb for so long. Abject stupidity has been holding us back since Jimmy retired.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, Deadeye said:

I've been saying this for years: good and smart FOs accumulate extra picks.  It's so damn refreshing for us to have 10 or so picks, and at least one in every round.  It pissed me off every single draft when we come out with less than 7 players, or go long stretches without a pick.

Fins got so many picks in 2020. This is bold new territory, not sure what to make of it because it never happens! Usually they pick a guy, then loooong wait til the next guy, or flush the team's future down the toilet with career-killing move-up disasters like the DE from Oregon or WR from Rutgers (they who shall not be named). 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, Wolverines said:

What do you guys think rosen needs to do, for the dolphins to skip the elite qb's in 2020?

He'll have to look like a franchise QB.

If he does not, we need to select a QB in the 1st round next year. If the Dolphins do anything else, it proves the organization is being run by incompetents.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If he does not, we need to select a QB in the 1st round next year. If the Dolphins do anything else, it proves the organization is being run by incompetents.

If they have the 2-14 record the 'experts' predict for the upcoming season, Miami will have the draft ammunition to do whatever it wants! 

Except they'll be better than 2-14, I have a feeling...

3 minutes ago, FinSting said:

If they have the 2-14 record the 'experts' predict for the upcoming season, Miami will have the draft ammunition to do whatever it wants! 

Except they'll be better than 2-14, I have a feeling...

We're still extremely talent deficient. 2-14 is definitely within the realm of possibility, but I think it will be closer to 3-13 or 4-12.

I agree with you, but I think it's gonna be tough to judge. The roster will not be very good. Unless he play's at a pro bowl level next season, we should draft a qb in the next year draft.

I don't know if the stats line from baker mayfield last year could be the bar, but something in this range would be good.

1 minute ago, Wolverines said:

I agree with you, but I think it's gonna be tough to judge. The roster will not be very good. Unless he play's at a pro bowl level next season, we should draft a qb in the next year draft.

I don't know if the stats line from baker mayfield last year could be the bar, but something in this range would be good.

That's the reason I was so critical of the Rosen acquisition in the first place. Our roster blows and any QB starting here is going to struggle. We're really not putting Rosen in any position to succeed, which makes it a waste considering he's likely going to be replaced if he doesn't.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We should've spent the 2nd to try to improve the supporting cast for whoever we draft in 2020. Not trading for a QB who we've already seen fail with a poor NFL supporting cast, expecting he may turn it around in one season with what is potentially an even worse one.

But I digress, as I've already said this all before... Rosen is a Dolphin now so I hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

We should've spent the 2nd to try to improve the supporting cast for whoever we draft in 2020. Not trading for a QB who we've already seen fail with a poor NFL supporting cast, expecting he may turn it around in one season with what is potentially an even worse one.

I think of it as if we drafted Rosen in the 2nd rd. Which is a steal, it's as if he was BPA at that moment (by far) and Grier pulled the trigger. Hoping Rosen bonds with fellow sophomore Gesicki and they both put up good numbers in Season 2 which is typical of QB's and TE's. 

Gonna need to sign some free-agent O-lineman tho, waiting to see who joins the team before training camp. At least they finally used a high draft pick to snag a good Guard like Deiter. Guard play has been so awful for so long!

33 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I think of it as if we drafted Rosen in the 2nd rd. Which is a steal, it's as if he was BPA at that moment (by far) and Grier pulled the trigger. Hoping Rosen bonds with fellow sophomore Gesicki and they both put up good numbers in Season 2 which is typical of QB's and TE's. 

Gonna need to sign some free-agent O-lineman tho, waiting to see who joins the team before training camp. At least they finally used a high draft pick to snag a good Guard like Deiter. Guard play has been so awful for so long!

I, honestly, don't. You can't ignore the last year.

And in the last year, Rosen failed spectaruarly as a Cardinal. Which by itself wouldn't mean much considering his poor supporting cast and coaching, but combined with the fact that the Cardinals, who know Rosen better than anyone else in the league, decided to move on from him after just one season... it does say quite a bit. And perhaps even more telling: that the 30 other teams in the NFL were so down on Rosen that the Dolphins' late 2nd round pick was the best offer available for him.

We've seen QB prospects drop from 1st overall consideration to mid round picks due to their final season in the NCAA. I'd put more worth on an NFL season than an NCAA season as far as gauging what their NFL value is.

Let me put it another way - if Rosen decided to return to UCLA and had a horrendous season (the NCAA equivilent of how bad he looked as a Cardinal last year), do you honestly think he still goes in the first two rounds? Maybe, but it wouldn't be some "great value" taking a chance on him with a late 2nd.