Rebuilding Whirlwind

FinSting

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I've pretty much said everything already so I'll just say I hope you're right and Rosen doesn't totally suck. We'll see.

Even if he does totally suck, it's not like you invested a TON in him.  You traded a late 2nd round pick for him.  If he sucks, the Dolphins should be among the bottom 5 teams and should have the option to select at least one of Tua or Herbert.  If he's good, they've found their franchise QB for a fraction of the price for the next few years.  Worst case scenario, he's good enough that you're not close enough to make a move up for Herbert/Tua, but not good enough to commit to.  And armed with an extra 2nd round pick via the Saints and 4th round pick from the Titans, they'll have the flexibility to move up if needed.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Even if he does totally suck, it's not like you invested a TON in him.  You traded a late 2nd round pick for him.  If he sucks, the Dolphins should be among the bottom 5 teams and should have the option to select at least one of Tua or Herbert.  If he's good, they've found their franchise QB for a fraction of the price for the next few years.  Worst case scenario, he's good enough that you're not close enough to make a move up for Herbert/Tua, but not good enough to commit to.  And armed with an extra 2nd round pick via the Saints and 4th round pick from the Titans, they'll have the flexibility to move up if needed.

I'd rather have spent that 2nd on an OL to help our QB next year.

Frankly, we have holes all across the roster and we're not in a position to groom a young QB at this time. Especially one who was laughably bad (yes, the Cardinals were awful as a whole but the talent on the Fins right now isn't much better).

You're right in that it won't be a massive mistake that cripples us for years to come, which is the silver lining here. But I think that the chance he turns it around (with us, anyway) is too low to be worth even the price we paid for him.

Also that worst case scenario is f'ing terrifying. We don't have the depth (or hell, starters) to waste a ton of draft picks to trade up. We have to suck enough this season to land our guy lol

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'd rather have spent that 2nd on an OL to help our QB next year.

Frankly, we have holes all across the roster and we're not in a position to groom a young QB at this time. Especially one who was laughably bad (yes, the Cardinals were awful as a whole but the talent on the Fins right now isn't much better).

You're right in that it won't be a massive mistake that cripples us for years to come, which is the silver lining here. But I think that the chance he turns it around (with us, anyway) is too low to be worth even the price we paid for him.

Also that worst case scenario is f'ing terrifying. We don't have the depth (or hell, starters) to waste a ton of draft picks to trade up. We have to suck enough this season to land our guy lol

I'm not sure what OL you wanted to draft at 62.  The next 5 OL taken were Michael Deiter, Nate Davis, Connor McGovern, Trey Pipkins, and Chuma Edoga.  Not sure any of those guys help fix your OL.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure what OL you wanted to draft at 62.  The next 5 OL taken were Michael Deiter, Nate Davis, Connor McGovern, Trey Pipkins, and Chuma Edoga.  Not sure any of those guys help fix your OL.

More young bodies the better. Specifically, McGovern would've been nice.

There is no guarantee that Tua or Hebert will succeed in the NFL either, everyone of these QB,s drafted in the top 15 of the first round probably have less then a 50/50 shoot at becoming a winning QB in the NFL much less the next Tom Brady. I am really skeptical  of QB,s that are drafted from college programs  that win every year no matter who the QB is, a lot of times the teams system is better then the QB really is, remember Matt Cassell in NewEngland.

Rosen was a great chance to take with low to no risk or loss, we will know if he has what it takes or on to be a starter in this league by seasons end, if not he will be a good cheap back up to the QB of the 2020 season who ever that turns out to be.

"Welcome to Arizona, Josh. Tell you what, Bradford is 0-3, we're averaging 6 pts a game with him including being shut out 34-0, so we're gonna go with you now, behind a terrible offensive line, and your only good WR is 35 years old. How does that sound, rookie?"

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

What would've helped our rebuild more is if we took Dallas Goedert instead of Gesicki. I called it then, and I'm sticking with it now: We passed on the better football player. 

Goedert had a good rookie year for sure even while Ertz was stealing his catches. Let's see how Gesicki does this year in a scheme that throws to the TE often. 

Jumpin geezus on a pogo stick...the Goedert post made me curious how often the Gase offensive scheme targeted the TE last year. 

Answer: Miami was worst in the NFL, only 58 targets. That's incredible really, not in a good way. Eagles threw to their TE's a whopping 210 times. Chiefs were 2nd with 175 and Colts third with 167. 

I knew it was bad, but didn't realize it was THAT bad. 

6 hours ago, FinSting said:

Jumpin geezus on a pogo stick...the Goedert post made me curious how often the Gase offensive scheme targeted the TE last year. 

Answer: Miami was worst in the NFL, only 58 targets. That's incredible really, not in a good way. Eagles threw to their TE's a whopping 210 times. Chiefs were 2nd with 175 and Colts third with 167. 

I knew it was bad, but didn't realize it was THAT bad. 

Wow that is a whopping 3.6 times a game, and I wonder just how many of those targets were within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I’m fairly pessimistic on just about everything, but when it comes to Rosen as our QB I tend to lean towards optimism.  I think he has above average potential to be a franchise QB, and potential is what you are drafting when you draft any player.  To give up a late 2nd rounder for Rosen was an absolute steal based on his potential.  Why was that the best offer Arizona could get for a player with franchise potential?  Because Arizona’s GM is simply incompetent.  It is basically common knowledge at this point that Steve Keim egregiously mishandled the situation and personally I can’t believe he still has a job.

What will it take for Rosen to be branded our franchise QB?  First off he will have to win the starting job and keep it.  He will have to find ways to stay healthy.  He will have to make plays that put us in position to win games.  He will have to keep the ball and not turn it over.  He will have to do these things consistently.  I don’t expect him to do all these things this year, so unless he takes us to the AFC Championship game we should be drafting a QB early in 2020, and then Rosen will have to beat out that QB to be our franchise guy.

We’ve lacked a star QB for a long time.  I don’t expect Rosen to do anything in 2019 to keep us from drafting a potential star QB in round 1 of 2020.

52 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I’m fairly pessimistic on just about everything, but when it comes to Rosen as our QB I tend to lean towards optimism.  

I don’t expect Rosen to do anything in 2019 to keep us from drafting a potential star QB in round 1 of 2020.

Ok got it, you like Rosen but hate Rosen lol

On 6/10/2019 at 12:42 PM, FinSting said:

Ok got it, you like Rosen but hate Rosen lol

LOL, just to clarify......I think we made a nice move trading for Rosen and he has potential to be a franchise QB.  I also think he gives us a nice “plan B” in case we aren’t able to draft the QB we want in 2020.  The big issue in the Rosen debate with us Dolphins fans is that those that don’t like the Rosen trade just assume it will be easy for us to get the QB we want in 2020, and hopefully it will but there are no guarantees at this point.......so why put all our eggs in one basket??

17 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

LOL, just to clarify......I think we made a nice move trading for Rosen and he has potential to be a franchise QB.  I also think he gives us a nice “plan B” in case we aren’t able to draft the QB we want in 2020.  

The 2020 QB's don't look amazeballs to me, it's Trevor Lawrence in 2021 that has NFL fans salivating. So I don't feel the Fins will be adding a QB in round one of next year's draft.

I say put Rosen out there in September and coach/develop/support the youngster as Miami opens with four straight games vs playoff teams. He's not a rookie, as he already survived being thrown to the wolves with the Cardinals. At least now his blind side is protected by a Top 10 left tackle (maybe even Top 5, Tunsil is pretty good). 

Ravens, Patriots, Cowboys and Chargers would be a nice trial by fire. Let's see what we got...