Tennessee Titans Free Talk Venting Thread

Titans fan 617

I don't have a perfect name for this thread if someone comes up with a better name for it I will change it but bare with me and try to understand my point of this thread. I don't want this to be compared to an everything else thread but I want it to be any opinion anything that needs to be said any over reaction any thought that doesn't fit in to a particular thread or where there's so many side conversations going on in a particular thread this could be a good place to go. So bare with me let me give you some examples of what I'm trying to do with this thread.

Awful preseason right? This was the worst looking Titans preseason I ever seen to be honest but at the end of the day it's just preseason. Teams across the NFL have different values to preseason. Most years the Titans have had great preseasons we had to watch preseasons trying to find guys who can be franchise guys and really find guys who will make an impact. Most years we thought we found guys and had good preseasons and still got smacked in the regular season.

For example last Sun vs the Bears it shouldn't be a surprise we got smacked in the face atleast defensively because Glennon is fighting for his job so he needed to have a week of game planning and really needed to play good Sun.

The flip side you have teams like GB NE ATL who really don't take preseason all that serious because they are legit teams for the most part even though GB struggles some years then catches fire but I don't think preseason is why GB struggles.

The goals for the Titans were different this year and a little out of wack because of injuries all over the offensive side of the ball. For Mariota it was all about health and how will he look with the leg. I think after the Jets it was suppose to be chemistry building but Deckers and Davis's injuries changed that.

Dont get me wrong the defense still needed to work hard to look good and I really didn't like waiting to the 3rd game of the preseason to throw Adoree Jackson into the fire but it could be beneficial who knows I wish he got consistent reps through the first 3 weeks and not just the 3rd Week. 

Bad teams every year have good preseasons because they need to game plan and some how look good to attempt to give some fan some where a glimmer of hope and sell a few more tickets.

The Titans fans need to stop being wimps and show up and do their part and start making Nashville a legit home field like the Preds have and not like what the Raiders are about to experience in a few years and be a destination for other teams to come and party and help the road teams feel at home.

I have so many more opinions on things like Mularkey and our schedule and where should we be by the end of the season and many more things but I already wrote a ton and will see if anyone piggybacks off this or vents about an opinion of their own 

One thing I need to vent about is how Brice McCain is getting earlier reps than Kalan Reed. This will probably continue into the regular season unless McCain is a surprise cut. Playing a veteran over a younger player just because he's a veteran has never been a philosophy I've been able to get behind.  Hell, I'd like to see Kalan Reed get some starter reps on the outside. Kalan Reed is a young player who I'm sure would take his lumps during the season, but I'd much rather have him out there than Brice McCain who we know is what he is. He's an average corner. Kalan Reed has grown exponentially as a player since his rookie year which shows that he really does have potential to be a valuable corner on our roster. We could take advantage of this growth by giving him reps this year over Brice McCain. A corner's "veteran leadership" doesn't mean anything to me when he gets beat every single time he is out there.  Even with getting burned tonight against KC, Kalan has shown a consistent ability to make plays in coverage throughout the preseason.  I don't think we should be handcuffing a guy like that to strictly special teams and the bench during the season because of an average corner like Brice McCain. It's not like any of our starting outside corners really showed up in the preseason either. Kalan should be getting a fair shake at valuable corner reps, and I fear that we may have to sit through several games of Brice McCain and company all getting burned consistently before Kalan ever gets his shot.

46 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

One thing I need to vent about is how Brice McCain is getting earlier reps than Kalan Reed. This will probably continue into the regular season unless McCain is a surprise cut. Playing a veteran over a younger player just because he's a veteran has never been a philosophy I've been able to get behind.  Hell, I'd like to see Kalan Reed get some starter reps on the outside. Kalan Reed is a young player who I'm sure would take his lumps during the season, but I'd much rather have him out there than Brice McCain who we know is what he is. He's an average corner. Kalan Reed has grown exponentially as a player since his rookie year which shows that he really does have potential to be a valuable corner on our roster. We could take advantage of this growth by giving him reps this year over Brice McCain. A corner's "veteran leadership" doesn't mean anything to me when he gets beat every single time he is out there.  Even with getting burned tonight against KC, Kalan has shown a consistent ability to make plays in coverage throughout the preseason.  I don't think we should be handcuffing a guy like that to strictly special teams and the bench during the season because of an average corner like Brice McCain. It's not like any of our starting outside corners really showed up in the preseason either. Kalan should be getting a fair shake at valuable corner reps, and I fear that we may have to sit through several games of Brice McCain and company all getting burned consistently before Kalan ever gets his shot.

Ever since we cut that bum Cox my eyes have been glued to McCain... HE SUCKS. He's getting beat like a drum and if he sees a good amount of snaps at any point this year he will be targeted and it will be ugly. Idk if Reed is the guy. This is why I wanted to go after Haden but oh well. 

Also I like this thread. Random stuff pops in my head all the time. I love to rant so this thread was made for me lol

Couple things of random thoughts.

I feel like we are going to be running more 3 wr formations this year with Davis and Decker and I could see 4 man sets with Taylor out there as well. I also remember us talking about how Jack got a lot of help last year from TEs. Anyone think he struggles with out the extra help when we do go in these formations? I don't think he will but just a thought. 

2nd thing. Look I know.. We don't need him. He's pretty much done. It'd be a lot smarter to use a roster spot on a player we need or a younger player BUT DAMN IT. I want CJ2K back LMAO. I'd love to see him go out a titan. And I get it. Theres barely enough carries to go around with Murray and Henry. And this is never going to happen but I think we are making the playoffs and it would be cool to see CJ be apart of it. 

Imagine if Prime CJ was on this team.. SUPERBOWL LMAOOO

My early morning thought

Man, I hope we run more hurry up, spread offense this year. Seeing the Patriots bring in Chip Kelly for a couple of practices and seeing how effective the hurry up spread in their third preseason game against the Lions was, really made me want us to run it more than ever this year.

Hopefully, with the offensive weapons we have and them giving Mariota more reigns this year, we see it more. And not just in the two minute offense or when we're down mulitiple scores.

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

My early morning thought

Man, I hope we run more hurry up, spread offense this year. Seeing the Patriots bring in Chip Kelly for a couple of practices and seeing how effective the hurry up spread in their third preseason game against the Lions was, really made me want us to run it more than ever this year.

Hopefully, with the offensive weapons we have and them giving Mariota more reigns this year, we see it more. And not just in the two minute offense or when we're down mulitiple scores.

I'm with you I get we want to pound the rock but for instance Week 3 vs Seattle they have a real good defense and they just added to it. I don't want to see the Titans be stubborn to come out running the ball and if it's not working to keep on trying it. That's a game where I want to see the offense spread out and attack them with quick passes. When you watch teams like NE beat Seattle or Atlanta last year in the second half you see they slow down pass rushes by carving them up with the quick passing hurry up offense game I want to see the Titans do it when it needs to be done 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I teased this thought earlier in another thread and understand it's not an overreaction to yesterday but it's a true thought and fear and something that has been on my mind.

Im going to start by saying I like Mularkey I think he's a great guy a great coach for the team and even great to the community to the players and little things like the surprise Bday for Lebeau and having Tim Shaw as a captain I think all that was class act. My question is what is the leash on him?

My true feeling is no matter how this season plays out even if it's a loss in the SB I will always feel Mularkey and his staff will cost us the game. I know our players are dumb too for the dumb penalties they take but I just feel like the way he and his staff coaches and game plan is as bad.

I said earlier up here in NE they just laugh at the AFC on the radio. They want to believe the Raiders are a challenge but believe Del Rio will cost them. They want to believe in the Chiefs in a big game but know Andy Reid will mismanage the clock or just do something stupid. They want to believe the Titans will take that next step but laugh that Mularkey is the coach. Granted the Pats have their own flaws right now but they laugh because they say the Pats are going to dip this year and go from 14-2 and winning to the SB to 12-4 and maybe playing the AFC Championship game on the road instead of home. 

So is Mularkey going to make this all work? I know a lot of it is on players but when I see this offense go to work something's missing and I don't know how to put my finger on it or the best words to describe it but I just feel like either Mariota hasn't fully grasped this offense or they are handcuffing Mariota from calling this offense. The only time Mariota really has the ability to take over this offense is in the 2 min drill in hurry up situations but I just feel something's missing. 

I'm not a fan of the way he handles substitutions. It feels like he only plays Henry for instance on set drives. Romo pointed out yesterday that no matter what was going on in the game Henry had the 3rd drive. My issue is why only set drives and why wasn't Henry used a little more in situations that best suited his him for instance like I don't know a 3rd and 2 or any short yardage situation? Why didn't we see Henry anytime we got near the end zone yesterday? It goes beyond Henry Decker who missed 3 Preseason games and is coming of an injury played the most WR snaps yesterday but yet Taywon Taylor who played all preseason long made plays with Mariota so had some chemistry with Mariota played 2 snaps I believe or played 3 snaps and 2 were to him. Why does Mularkey fall in love with certain players and he has trouble sitting them down for players that are playing better? Sly Williams was signed for a decent amount of money and didn't play much yesterday also last year Matthews signed for a decent amount of money and he said on 3HL weeks ago that he was benched to start the season pretty much and had to fight his way on the field to play and he signed here thinking he was coming into start instead of fighting to start because he could of signed else where and started. So what is it with Mularkey and certain FAs that come in he favors some and not others? I'm all for making guys work but doesn't it piss you off knowing how good Matthews was last year and how little points we scored in the first 4 games and Mularkey stuck with Tajae Sharpe over Matthews a guy who could of probably helped out and maybe beat Minn when it was close before Mariota imploded of maybe had a chance to beat Oak or Hou?

Mularkeys staff is my next issue. Robiskie and Mularkey are going to blow games with the trickery stuff. They just do it at the worst times and they arnt always the best designed looking plays. I'm not even talking about the onside kick yesterday which I think was dumb and just fueled the Raiders even more and said thanks for the great field position. Granted they do hit on some of the trick stuff like the Lewan play but more times than not they blow the play. Last year vs GB he tried the onside kick and got bailed out because Cobb dropped the 3rd down pass which forced the punt. I hate the plays they call on the 2PT conversations too not once have we hit on one last year. I feel like those plays are suppose to be the bread and butter plays and with Robiskies play calling I don't feel like Mariota has many bread and butter plays.

My last worry is not Lebeau himself because I don't blame him but my question is are we really a 3-4 team? Do we have the right players for it? I feel like we have more of a 4-3 team. Not that I'm stomping my feet to say let Lebeau go and switch to a 4-3 but the mans 80 years old he is going to be gone at some point so what's the plan from there? Not that Dodd is a guy we are building a defense around but wouldn't he be better suited with his hand in the ground at like an DE DT position? The Titans have a lot of D-Linemen who would probably benefit from a 4-3 scheme IMO and you would have Morgan back at DE since he doesn't make plays on the ball anyway in a 3-4. I could be wrong but I just feel like a 3-4 isn't working for this team i feel like they are still struggling to fully grasp a 3-4 system so I'm curious to your thoughts.

sorry for writing so much but curious to your long term thoughts on Mularkey and his staff and what are the leashes and what needs to change and are these the right group of coaches to help elevate this team over the hump

Does anybody else feel like we aren't using Derrick Henry properly? He's a downhill runner much like DeMarco, and we're ironically giving him run plays that are similar to what DeMarco ran in Philly. Not the same scheme obviously, but similar concepts that always leave him in these stretch run situations where he's running more East and West to attack the perimeter of the defense rather than North and South interior runs which are obviously his strength. He's been able to get a few decent carries out of those runs, but they're still driving me crazy mostly because in order for him to break one in that situation he's going to have to have the wiggle/balance to cut back away from the sideline and run back towards the middle of the field or just jet past everyone down the sideline for a TD. Two things that are very unlikely with his skill set. Another reason I hate it is just the obvious fact that he's a back that's built like a brick house, he's too damn big to tip toe the sideline. It's just illogical due to his size.

If we had more of a speedy back spelling DeMarco I would understand those perimeter runs, but everything about those calls go against Derrick's strengths as a runner.  Let him pound it between the tackles and call it a day, because we're really bringing down his value by giving him these outside stretch runs all the time.

43 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Does anybody else feel like we aren't using Derrick Henry properly? He's a downhill runner much like DeMarco, and we're ironically giving him run plays that are similar to what DeMarco ran in Philly. Not the same scheme obviously, but similar concepts that always leave him in these stretch run situations where he's running more East and West to attack the perimeter of the defense rather than North and South interior runs which are obviously his strength. He's been able to get a few decent carries out of those runs, but they're still driving me crazy mostly because in order for him to break one in that situation he's going to have to have the wiggle/balance to cut back away from the sideline and run back towards the middle of the field or just jet past everyone down the sideline for a TD. Two things that are very unlikely with his skill set. Another reason I hate it is just the obvious fact that he's a back that's built like a brick house, he's too damn big to tip toe the sideline. It's just illogical due to his size.

If we had more of a speedy back spelling DeMarco I would understand those perimeter runs, but everything about those calls go against Derrick's strengths as a runner.  Let him pound it between the tackles and call it a day, because we're really bringing down his value by giving him these outside stretch runs all the time.

Not sure I've ever actually seen Derrick Henry run over anyone outside of preseason games..and that includes college. Feel like his power has always been extremely overrated. Certainly doesn't run over people consistently.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Go look at Jalen Ramsey trying to tackle him in the first Jacksonville game. He ran him over early and then later ran straight by him. 

Also, Henry always falls forward. His size and momentum carrys him forward, which can be big.

Well, I mean, every RB that isn't a scat back should be able to power through CBs, that's not the issue. It's the DL/LBs that you expect the power backs to power through. I've yet to see Henry do that, especially not with any consistency.

5 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Ok I teased this thought earlier in another thread and understand it's not an overreaction to yesterday but it's a true thought and fear and something that has been on my mind.

Im going to start by saying I like Mularkey I think he's a great guy a great coach for the team and even great to the community to the players and little things like the surprise Bday for Lebeau and having Tim Shaw as a captain I think all that was class act. My question is what is the leash on him?

My true feeling is no matter how this season plays out even if it's a loss in the SB I will always feel Mularkey and his staff will cost us the game. I know our players are dumb too for the dumb penalties they take but I just feel like the way he and his staff coaches and game plan is as bad.

I said earlier up here in NE they just laugh at the AFC on the radio. They want to believe the Raiders are a challenge but believe Del Rio will cost them. They want to believe in the Chiefs in a big game but know Andy Reid will mismanage the clock or just do something stupid. They want to believe the Titans will take that next step but laugh that Mularkey is the coach. Granted the Pats have their own flaws right now but they laugh because they say the Pats are going to dip this year and go from 14-2 and winning to the SB to 12-4 and maybe playing the AFC Championship game on the road instead of home. 

So is Mularkey going to make this all work? I know a lot of it is on players but when I see this offense go to work something's missing and I don't know how to put my finger on it or the best words to describe it but I just feel like either Mariota hasn't fully grasped this offense or they are handcuffing Mariota from calling this offense. The only time Mariota really has the ability to take over this offense is in the 2 min drill in hurry up situations but I just feel something's missing. 

I'm not a fan of the way he handles substitutions. It feels like he only plays Henry for instance on set drives. Romo pointed out yesterday that no matter what was going on in the game Henry had the 3rd drive. My issue is why only set drives and why wasn't Henry used a little more in situations that best suited his him for instance like I don't know a 3rd and 2 or any short yardage situation? Why didn't we see Henry anytime we got near the end zone yesterday? It goes beyond Henry Decker who missed 3 Preseason games and is coming of an injury played the most WR snaps yesterday but yet Taywon Taylor who played all preseason long made plays with Mariota so had some chemistry with Mariota played 2 snaps I believe or played 3 snaps and 2 were to him. Why does Mularkey fall in love with certain players and he has trouble sitting them down for players that are playing better? Sly Williams was signed for a decent amount of money and didn't play much yesterday also last year Matthews signed for a decent amount of money and he said on 3HL weeks ago that he was benched to start the season pretty much and had to fight his way on the field to play and he signed here thinking he was coming into start instead of fighting to start because he could of signed else where and started. So what is it with Mularkey and certain FAs that come in he favors some and not others? I'm all for making guys work but doesn't it piss you off knowing how good Matthews was last year and how little points we scored in the first 4 games and Mularkey stuck with Tajae Sharpe over Matthews a guy who could of probably helped out and maybe beat Minn when it was close before Mariota imploded of maybe had a chance to beat Oak or Hou?

Mularkeys staff is my next issue. Robiskie and Mularkey are going to blow games with the trickery stuff. They just do it at the worst times and they arnt always the best designed looking plays. I'm not even talking about the onside kick yesterday which I think was dumb and just fueled the Raiders even more and said thanks for the great field position. Granted they do hit on some of the trick stuff like the Lewan play but more times than not they blow the play. Last year vs GB he tried the onside kick and got bailed out because Cobb dropped the 3rd down pass which forced the punt. I hate the plays they call on the 2PT conversations too not once have we hit on one last year. I feel like those plays are suppose to be the bread and butter plays and with Robiskies play calling I don't feel like Mariota has many bread and butter plays.

My last worry is not Lebeau himself because I don't blame him but my question is are we really a 3-4 team? Do we have the right players for it? I feel like we have more of a 4-3 team. Not that I'm stomping my feet to say let Lebeau go and switch to a 4-3 but the mans 80 years old he is going to be gone at some point so what's the plan from there? Not that Dodd is a guy we are building a defense around but wouldn't he be better suited with his hand in the ground at like an DE DT position? The Titans have a lot of D-Linemen who would probably benefit from a 4-3 scheme IMO and you would have Morgan back at DE since he doesn't make plays on the ball anyway in a 3-4. I could be wrong but I just feel like a 3-4 isn't working for this team i feel like they are still struggling to fully grasp a 3-4 system so I'm curious to your thoughts.

sorry for writing so much but curious to your long term thoughts on Mularkey and his staff and what are the leashes and what needs to change and are these the right group of coaches to help elevate this team over the hump

I was actually thinking about a lot of the points you brought up today, and they're all good ones.  I'll cut to the chase though... What are the leashes on Mularkey and staff? I think with the expectations and talent that the team has this year if we start the season 0-3 I think the wolves will start sniffing at the door.  I'll be the first to say that I don't want this to happen at all. I want desperately for Mularkey to be our long term coach, because you build championships in this league with continuity and not constant rebuild and staff turnovers, but if we lose to Jacksonville and then lose another at home against Seattle people will be calling for his job. That's just the nature of the league and the job.  I agree that Mularkey/Robiskie make some frustrating calls. Robiskie is actually my favorite OC that we've had in years (not saying much) but he does have a tendency of getting too cute with his playcalling at times. It also feels like there is still a bit of a leash on Mariota, and I can't help but wonder how he'd do with a coach that was willing to run more hurry up and air it out more.  I've been clamoring for us to run more hurry up sporadically since Mariota was drafted, because he really thrives in it and our staff still seems really gun shy to run it for whatever reason.  I can't help but feel like we have a ferrari (Marcus) and we're always keeping him in neutral. Robinson is starting to put the pieces around him to turn this offense into something really special. We're right on the cusp of something great, but I fear that Mularkey's philosophy could ultimately hold us back from reaching our full potential.

Archived