Tennessee Titans Free Talk Venting Thread

Titans fan 617

We can go back and forth, and nitpick on each player all day.  IMO we don't have all the pieces on defense, but we got more than enough talent on offense to do a helluva lot better than what we're showing.  I'm putting a great majority of this on coaching, specifically the OC.  Our offensive scheme hasn't evolved at all from last season, and our opponents have caught up to it.  From what I've seen, we haven't done anything to really build on our passing game to go with the run scheme.  Yeah we drafted new receivers, but I haven't seen any attempt to run a spread offense, aside from the 2 minute, or let MM8 develop a real rapport with his new weapons in game situations.

Bottom line is Mariota blaming himself because he can't make garbage work.  This offense in general is wasting the talent we have and stifling all their potential.  It's stunting Mariota's development, holding back Henry, and completely wasting Taywan and Cory,.  We need somebody who can develop better schemes and coach these young guys up...starting next week.

28 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Here's something new to vent about 

I wish we were more of a team that the national media paid attention to in situations like this. Nobody cares about the Titans, so the coaches/organization doesn't have any real pressure to respond to. We aren't held to any sort of standard. A young stud QB is being wasted before the league's eyes and nobody in the national media is saying anything like "what is Mularkey doing?"

Let's put some pressure on the organization to get a better OC in here.

https://www.change.org/p/jon-robinson-petition-the-tennessee-titans-organization-to-fire-oc-terry-robiskie?recruiter=841736809&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition

What's bad is that the culture of the team and franchise is great.  The players work together. They like each other. They have character and are hard working.  That is a direct reflection of Murlakey and Robinson.

I'd hate to tear that down. I think ownership and Robinson hates that too. 

I think if we were to get rid of Murlakey, then we'd not stray too far from him, simply just just try to keep that culture right. If Murlakey goes, so would Lebeau I feel.  

Realistic options I think would be in play if we made changes at OC (with Murlakey as HC)
1. Jason Micheal
2. Tom Clements- Murlakey's OC in Buffalo
3. Greg Olsen- OC in Jacksonville (Current Rams QB coach)
4. Bill Musgrave- QB coach/OC in Denver. (QB coach with Murlakey in ATL).
5. dunno....Tony romo, vince young,...don't feel like looking anymore. :) 

What I think are realistic options for HC (with Robinson doing the search)
1. Mike Vrabel- Texans DC (With Patriots when Robinson was there).
2. Jim Schwartz- Eagles DC
3. Todd Haley- Because this organization loves trying to recreate the Steelers.
I know people say McDaniels, but he just seem to be a culture fit. Personally, that's how I feel. 

Mike Vrabel actually would intrigue me. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

Just don't see them going far away from what we got now.

What you think? 
You think they'd actually throw a wide net or stay in their familiar coaching trees?

No, I mean I think your list is probably accurate, I just don't like it haha.

I desperately want a fresh face. It could obviously blow up in our faces, but I'm just tired of retreads and guys that have been NFL lifers. We have the personnel to build a pretty interesting and exciting offense, I'm genuinely concerned that bringing in guys that have worked with Mularkey in the past offer little upside for true creativity.

8 minutes ago, Dionysus said:

If Mularkey goes, the only name I see popping up is Josh McDaniel.  He'd be Robinson's golden boy.  This would be almost a perfect situation for him to do the stuff he wants to do on offense.  The defense would be another story.

I guess that's what I'm missing. How is that his man?

Is there an article or anything spelling out their relationship?  I haven't seen it played up besides the NE connection.  Were they like roommates? Or something like that? Lol
I laugh but I'm being serious too. 

I don't see McDaniel fitting here in the South. I don't know if his style plays out. Thats just my gut feeling.

The whole NE connection.  Robinson worked with the Pats for like 13 seasons as a talent scout among other things before he went to Tampa Bay.  McDaniel would run that offense through Mariota and help him develop like he should.  He'd play more to his strengths and spread the offense more, giving him more options than the BS we're running right now.  And I'll be Henry would get more touches as well.

BTW - Another name that comes to mind for me as well is Frank Reich (Eagles OC). 

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

What's bad is that the culture of the team and franchise is great.  The players work together. They like each other. They have character and are hard working.  That is a direct reflection of Murlakey and Robinson.

I'd hate to tear that down. I think ownership and Robinson hates that too. 

I think if we were to get rid of Murlakey, then we'd not stray too far from him, simply just just try to keep that culture right. If Murlakey goes, so would Lebeau I feel.  

Realistic options I think would be in play if we made changes at OC (with Murlakey as HC)
1. Jason Micheal
2. Tom Clements- Murlakey's OC in Buffalo
3. Greg Olsen- OC in Jacksonville (Current Rams QB coach)
4. Bill Musgrave- QB coach/OC in Denver. (QB coach with Murlakey in ATL).
5. dunno....Tony romo, vince young,...don't feel like looking anymore. :) 

What I think are realistic options for HC (with Robinson doing the search)
1. Mike Vrabel- Texans DC (With Patriots when Robinson was there).
2. Jim Schwartz- Eagles DC
3. Todd Haley- Because this organization loves trying to recreate the Steelers.
I know people say McDaniels, but he just seem to be a culture fit. Personally, that's how I feel. 

Mike Vrabel actually would intrigue me. 

I like vrabel but right now, because of our QB isn’t established or reached his potential, we must go wit an offensive minded coach.. 

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I guess that's what I'm missing. How is that his man?

Is there an article or anything spelling out their relationship?  I haven't seen it played up besides the NE connection.  Were they like roommates? Or something like that? Lol
I laugh but I'm being serious too. 

I don't see McDaniel fitting here in the South. I don't know if his style plays out. Thats just my gut feeling.

Last year at season end, McDaniel cane out & said that he was only interested in the Titans HC job if it became vacant,  I strongly believe this man can fix Marcus & get our offense rolling. Tom Brady has said he’s the best OC he’s worked with, he knows how to dissect a defense & dictate them like chess pieces. If we were to get McDaniel, I only hope we get a DC that is seasoned & can hold his own, like McVay handles the offense & let Phillips run the defense..

I don't think bringing in a new Head Coach with new and fresh ideas means that we'd have to sacrifice our overall team culture and philosophy that we've developed during Mularkey's tenure. Jon's core values of having team first, dependable, and tough players isn't exactly reinventing the wheel. I'd venture to say the majority of coaches in the NFL want guys like that.  The Patriots where Jon developed this philosophy still bring fresh wrinkles and creativity to their gameplans every  week while exploiting their opponent's weaknesses. Mularkey's X's and O's acumen is lacking. The creativity just isn't there. It's been beat to death, but he's tied to his late 90's early 2000s offensive system that simply doesn't put our players in the best positions to succeed. It's a dated system that has clearly stunted Mariota's growth, and it's not something that's going to change. Mularkey's ran this system everywhere he's been, so he's not magically going to switch up from that even though that's what we desperately need. 

Our overall team culture isn't going to change with a new head coach as long as JR is picking the coach and the players, so I really don't think that even needs to be a concern in the thought process of letting Mularkey go. We can have all that still as our core values while bringing our offense into the 21st century and putting our players in better positions to succeed with a fresh coach at the helm.  Plus looking at the big picture here, Marcus has 2 years left on his contract. Do we really want to waste another year of Marcus in Mularkey's offense and force him into a situation where he'll be in a prove it year learning a completely new system? That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. I'd much rather give him a full two years with a new coaching staff that actually plays to his strengths before we see what's what. I'm not sure we could really get a fair evaluation of what he can actually be with only 1 year under a new staff with all the difficulties that come with learning a new offense.

Basically if we're going to make the move on Mularkey, after this season is the time to do it for the sake of Marcus, and the overall sanity of our fan base. xD

Archived