The Curious Case of OLB Bud Dupree

Will Bud Dupree make a positive impact in 2019 on the Steelers Defense?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bud Dupree make a positive impact in 2019 on the Steelers Defense?

• Yes, Bud will have his best season yet and be signed to a long term deal
    • No, 2019 is the last hurrah for Bud
    • Bud will have a typical Bud year (not great and not horrible), but the team will still sign him to at least another year.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Playing without a contract for next year should motivate Dupree more then any late Rd Rookie or FA the Steelers could afford. In my humble opinion anyway. 

they should be motivated anyways (who needs motivation) , thats what they get paid for. Motivation is one aspect, continually improving is another.  Fans here appear split on this issue, wait for the season to play out. 

15 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

they should be motivated anyways (who needs motivation) , thats what they get paid for. Motivation is one aspect, continually improving is another.  Fans here appear split on this issue, wait for the season to play out. 

Weren't you talking about him getting handed the job and not having any competition? That was the point of the my post. I personally dont think it's a fixable motivation issue. Inconsistent. This is who he is. 

Edited by Chieferific

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Seriously? How about...

1)  Don't franchise tag a mediocre OLB when he isn't even starting quality.

Under normal circumstances,I don't think that they would have. However, if they didn't and Bud left, there is an even larger gaping hole at that position with Watt being gthe only option and then  Chick, Ayo and your favorite practice squad player Keion Adams.  I was not enamored with the free agent class or money that had to be paid for them as well.  They may have overpaid alittle, but then again not really when you see what the Rams paid Dante Fowler who has been in the same category as Bud.

2)  Dont claim we are "comfortable"  passing on an OLB because we have a completely unproven late rounder on our roster.

No doubt that it needs to be addressed, but I also believe that they will be scanning the free agent cuts. Especially some of the cap casualties to come.

3)  Dont completely ignore an obvious need when we have one starting quality player and no depth at all.

I also realize that they didn't try to completely ignore the position.  The  had a chance to move up and get their number one rated defensive player. You can't take that away from them. With Bud signed, what is the team's bigger need a starting caliber ILB or Edge? They lost LJ, but signed Barron.  However, unless they would have waited and then took a flyer on say Montez Sweat at #20, you could argue. I think they got the cleanest no risk option of the two. I agree with you that it doesn't excuse ignoring the position early, but obviously our player evaluations/draft board are different than the Steelers.

If these things aren't common sense to you, I dont know what to tell you.

I'd argue that OLB was a top 3 need the last two years.  So what does "trying" mean?  It means doing something different to try to improve a bad situation.  It means not settling for mediocrity or worse. 

I don't think that they just settled for mediocrity.  The cards didn't fall they way they could have for them.  No doubt many of us were scratching our heads at how the Steelers drafted last year.  I love Edmonds and think he has a lot of potential as well, but he was never a #1 draft choice let a lone a top 60 on my board.  If they loved him so much or didn't like what was there, why not try to trade down and pick up picks for the following year and add another top 40 or 50 pick? I liked Darius Leonard and Fred Warner last year. 

Like I said...we have done this before with poor results, and you want to defend it?

In reality, part of the problem is the front office seems laughably incapable of scouting and drafting OLBs outside of Watt....been a problem for awhile now.  

I have figured out if they are incapable of drafting or is it that they were incapable of coaching up/developing?  I said that about Carnell Lake. J-Peezy got some heat as well. Drafting in the lower tier does not afford you the opportunity to get premium players. Players fall for a reason.  After the Combine DJ Metcalf was hailed as a possible Top Five pick. Some people get cuaght up with the Underwear Olympics and don't look at all aspects of a position. I am dead against drafting WR's who can't catch, lineman who can't block, RB's who can't hit the hole or follow blocks and defenders who cannot tackle. For as much as we all try to claim that we are experts, we miss as well.  The art of selecting talent is just that: an art. It is not an exact science. There is on Tom Brady and Antonio Brown, that all 32 teams passed up 5 plus rounds.  Then you have the can't miss prospects like Tim Couch, Rick Mier, Tony Manderich and many others.  The Steelers had their Tim Worley, Tom Ricketts and John Rienstra as well.

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I don't agree he was anywhere close to the money he is earning...nothing about his stats or his play warrant it.

Your logic and apparently the FO's is...."We're probably going to struggle to find an immediate upgrade, so let's just settle on Dupree and worthless backups....again".

That's called complacency...and it doesn't work.

The thing you seem to be missing is....this is the second year they ignored it.  They passed on OLB last year,  supposedly, because they liked Keion Adams.  This year, they completely ignore it again.  

Mr. Colbert has took heat for the Keion Adams comments.  He looks the part, but has not made it out of the practice squad.

And I never said they should've forced a high pick on one or spent huge money on a FA, but they should've tried something other than....umm....nothing.

I'm more comfortable about finding a decent number 2 TE after preseason cuts than finding a replacement for Dupree, or even capable depth at OLB.

I agree.  It is harder to find another capable starting OLB/Edge than signing Bud for a moderately high deal.  I am holding hope that he becomes Keneen Lewis for the Steelers.

I loved Cortez Allen's upside as well, so you just don't really know.  Good thing is that if he flops, they can break away clean after the season.

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

If Watt had a different last name I doubt they would have drafted him, JJ's reputation and being TJ's brother had a LOT to do with them picking TJ in RD1 and not missing. As of now, I will say that colbert isn't good at drafting OLB early, another reason I would prefer UFA for OLB. Draft what you are good at, then try UFA what you can't draft, sounds fair to me anyways;)

I wasn't too concerned about TE. While it's important and such a mismatch when a great TE is on the team,  V-Mac should be good as long as he can stay healthy. Grimble will be the back up or #2 TE. I don't see the #2 or #3 getting much. It was too bad James left because he was good  but can you blame him?

Outlaw was a solid back-up. He was neer going to be spectacular and he was someone else who struggled with consistency.  At least you had a better idea of Jessie Jame's good and bad points. I was not a fan of the kid they drafted and I will agree that they could have drafted a better OLB prospect in that spot as far as I am concerned. I would have taken UGA OLB D'Andre Walker in the fourth and hoped that Benny was there in the fifth.  Easier to find a #3 RB off waivers or whatever than a decent OLB/Edge to develop.

I never understood why they drafted him , once again UFA or other draft prospects I would have preferred.  I saw a player slow off the snap that was raw, and that could take years to sort out if it ever does. No way you beat an NFL OT when you are slow off the snap unless he slips on the surface or smoother fluke - never will win or get pressure with consistency. As for the bold, I sometimes wonder about a few fans here not meeting up to your standard:o . Really , considering the importance of OLB, for some reason there are a few here that want to accept what the FO has done in recent years and of course as a result how lousy the D has been.  OLB has been a MAJOR reason for that.  Int he pats game, they went to a 4 man front a few times and Watt was key as well as Heyward, but dupree didn't make much noise. The rotation was in effect , that said something, but they settles on the 5th year option anyways9_9

Realistically, both Dupree and Watt were inconsistent.  Watt at least made a tackle here or there whereas Bud again misses the stat sheet.  He did apply pressure in some games that Watt was MIA as well. Watt is the better OLB.  With Bud it is the P words (patience, performance and progress).

If dupree breaks out, eat some crow all is good. I don't expect that though. If coaching was to blame (and it could very well have been) then I could see bud improving. If another offseason with chuck and our new coach works, then the improved play will result. Part of the problem of overpaying bud was that it takes away from signing others and his play was still unknown - but nowhere near the price they are paying him. To me, this looks more like colbert vision as hopeful breakout for dupree yet if dupree was on the market I doubt he would get more than $3M on a prove it deal (from overly optimistic team) , maybe only $2. 

I think he gets a lot more just based on the position. Again, Dante Fowler got a ransom from the Rams and his numbers were not any better. His best season I believe was 8 sacks on a great defense with a great secondary. How many of those were garbage sacks, junk, or due to the players around him? Not trashing the guy, but just making a point as it relates to the Steelers decision with Bud. I put Bud and Fowler in the same class right now. They are both under-performing to their ceiling first round draft picks.  Both also have teams that believe they can get more out of them.

I have been as much of a critic of his as anyone, but am still blaming the coaching for some of this. It's not how I was hoping that colbert would handle this but it's what I expected - complacent and trying to prove his RD1 pick was right at the expense of the team.  Thats what bothers me the most , especially since a dominant player was available in UFA for a bit more and that player (Houston) could be a mentor and teach Watt and thats invaluable but colbert doesn't put value on that. The D needs more leaders IMO (I think Baron could help), last year they were sitting around like at a campfire in the Ravens game when they were getting trashed. Right there that said it all.   Burns, dupree and others don't have leadership traits, and the combine doesn't offer a grade for that. 2 Bad RD1 signature colbert picks when his approach was to fix the D with his RD1 picks -> FAIL.  Liked the idea of moving up in the draft for a legit starter for Bush. Maybe they should do this for a few more years to make sure they get legit starters.  Being older, I can't stand watching this team when the D is not at least top10 legit. When they can't get off the field or get pressure or TO's, it's a slow death and I can't tolerate it. 

Can't argue with any of that.  I do believe that the team is drafting higher character players: Bud, Burns, Watt, Connors, Ju Ju, Edmonds, Davis, Bush, and Snell.  There is no Combine tv test for leadership.  this is where the interview and face to face comes in that we are not privy to. Hopefully they do turn around. I am optimistic that Bud will have a bigger impact on the defense and  'cautiously" optimistic that Bud will have his best season/a breakout in 2019

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Good post @Steeler Hitman.  I don't always agree with you, but you always have well thought out responses.

Thanks 43Mafia.  We are not supposed to always agree. It is good and healthy to have and read different perspectives. I have learned a lot from many in this group as a result.  I do try to use my analytical and creative mind in making posts.  Again, this is not math or science as there are a lot of variables that we simply can't measure or predict.  If so, Kordell Stewert would have been the next Brett Farvre, Willie Colon would have been Forrest Gregg and Anna Nicole would've married for love. :D

levon_helm.bmp

• Like 2

On 2019-05-10 at 3:22 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

Mr. Colbert has took heat for the Keion Adams comments.  He looks the part, but has not made it out of the practice squad.

perhaps colbert shouldn't evaluate OLB's if he has praise for Adams.  For me I would prefer a GM that used to play or at least coach at this level.  Then let the position coaches make their board for the draft. GM in this case with house league basketball coach colbert, should be a capologist and contract negotiator. Anyways, lets move onxD

Can't argue with any of that.  I do believe that the team is drafting higher character players: Bud, Burns, Watt, Connors, Ju Ju, Edmonds, Davis, Bush, and Snell.

Agree with higher character, I just don't see it in bud after the remarks about Harrison and then bells shoes.  Burns might be high character off the field, but the play on the field was lacking too much.  There has to be a balance that results in good on field production. 

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

If so, Kordell Stewert would have been the next Brett Farvre, Willie Colon would have been Forrest Gregg and Anna Nicole would've married for love. :D

forgot about colon. He took some heat here, but never really had an ideal position to play for in the nfl. By all accounts a good teammate  just not what the footballsfuture fanbase on the steelers forum wanted.  At least the OL is respectable now and considered good

. That arians era where ben wanted to claim this is the new steelers we are a passing team...... and almost on IR or ICU annually.  I don't know how he never got IR's or career ending injury during those years

I think he gets a lot more just based on the position. Again, Dante Fowler got a ransom from the Rams and his numbers were not any better. His best season I believe was 8 sacks on a great defense with a great secondary. How many of those were garbage sacks, junk, or due to the players around him? Not trashing the guy, but just making a point as it relates to the Steelers decision with Bud. I put Bud and Fowler in the same class right now. They are both under-performing to their ceiling first round draft picks.  Both also have teams that believe they can get more out of them.

Based on position could be caused by the market that offseason, projected draft prospects at OLB as well as a team being desperate. Fowler has been a disappointment but still is decent, plus he did have an injury to ACL. Not trashing Fowler  but it is a point when you consider he is playing next to the best defender in the game, so Fowler should get more stats.  Bud and Fowler could be similar, bud has coverage responsibilities though, I think Fowler is more pass rushing. Bud is more raw, and if he got an OLB coach that was as good as Munchak was here for the OL, it would help .  With dupree going to chuck smith, that says something about what he thought of the coaching here, and lets see how it goes this year. I think dupree would benefit from better coaching and possible more form a mentor he could learn from .   Burns though, I don't see him in the league as a CB, but he might be a ST player and last CB on a roster. 

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

levon_helm.bmp

good oneB|   was this you when they didn't even try to sign Justin Houston?   Would you have signed Houston? IIRC your avatar at one time was of a player that played the game at a high level and I would  expect your standard for OLB to be as such. 

This season should be better all around, and the D should be much better. If the coaching is better for dupree I expect some better play and more real  stats. ILB and CB is much improved finally after years of sub par at both.  Butler might be able to apply his scheme of a ILB covering the WR1 and a decisive part of the game now9_9

Edited by 3rivers

On 2019-05-10 at 3:12 PM, Chieferific said:

Weren't you talking about him getting handed the job and not having any competition? That was the point of the my post. I personally dont think it's a fixable motivation issue. Inconsistent. This is who he is. 

Agree about inconsistent but that is based on the lack of arsenal , he has limited repertoire that will as a result offer inconsistent results.   Justin Houston has a vast array to attack OT's and get consistent pressure .  I (as well as others) have agreed that is handed the starting job, thats a given. Wether he keeps it will depend on how he plays, and I am sure they will be fair to him. They want to keep the locker room from being divided, so no way they mis treat a vet like dupree. It doesn't matter if we don't agree with that , dupree has put in the time and will get the start unless injuries get in the way or if someone really breaks out. I have no problem with that but if he doesn't produce after say 8 weeks, then the rotation can start, maybe even before 8 weeks.  I wouldn't say he is on the hotseat , but 8 weeks seems about right.  I am hoping the new coach makes a difference, Kevin Greene would have been ideal, but the Rooneys never tried did they? 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, 3rivers said:

perhaps Colbert shouldn't evaluate OLB's if he has praise for Adams.  For me I would prefer a GM that used to play or at least coach at this level.  Then let the position coaches make their board for the draft. GM in this case with house league basketball coach Colbert, should be a capologist and contract negotiator. Anyways, lets move onxD

I don't think you have to play a position or have played the game at this level as much as you need to know the characteristics needed to play the position or the game. Many of your best coaches, scouts, GM's etc., have never played at the NFL level.  Yes they did get some experience at this level, but for many it is their first time at that particular job function.  Look at how many experienced coaches and front office people who get fired and then re-hired.  Omar Khan is said to be a great Capologist who is seeking to become a GM.  You will have hits and misses in this business.  Despite being "great at finding WR talent" He still took some hits for Limus Sweed, Martavis Bryant and Sammy Coates.

Agree with higher character, I just don't see it in bud after the remarks about Harrison and then bells shoes.  Burns might be high character off the field, but the play on the field was lacking too much.  There has to be a balance that results in good on field production. 

I agreed 100!  Leadership an character re important traits, but at the end of the day, they are mainly paid for how well they perform on game days.

forgot about colon. He took some heat here, but never really had an ideal position to play for in the nfl. By all accounts a good teammate  just not what the footballsfuture fanbase on the steelers forum wanted.  At least the OL is respectable now and considered good

I felt like Willie could have been an all pro at RG or RT.  They never really let hhim settle in on one.  The game was evolving with pass protection, which was his weak spot.  He would fight and maul, but those traits are not as good in the pass game with quicker pass rushers that you can't get your hands on or lay your body into. I met his position coach from Hofstra at a coacing clinic when he accepted the job at University of Delaware or Delaware State. We had some good conversations about Colon's skills and anticipated ceiling. I probably saw him too much through fan colored glasses. I can admit and I learned from it.

. That Arians era where Ben wanted to claim this is the new Steelers we are a passing team...... and almost on IR or ICU annually.  I don't know how he never got IR's or career ending injury during those years.

I don't think the desire to pass was wrong, but those five and seven step drops with the maulers we had didn't help.  Hey they won a SB with what many called the worst OL to ever win a SB.

Based on position could be caused by the market that offseason, projected draft prospects at OLB as well as a team being desperate. Fowler has been a disappointment but still is decent, plus he did have an injury to ACL. Not trashing Fowler  but it is a point when you consider he is playing next to the best defender in the game, so Fowler should get more stats.  Bud and Fowler could be similar, Bud has coverage responsibilities though, I think Fowler is more pass rushing. Bud is more raw, and if he got an OLB coach that was as good as Munchak was here for the OL, it would help .  

Agree with most of this but while I am a Bud supporter, he deserves to  take some hits in my book with the fact that he has not developed more moves despite his obvious physical gifts and working with a former player who was less gifted, but a better pass rusher in Chuck Smith.  The Steelers do drop their OLB/Edge in coverage at times, but Bud has shown he can get there at times. His problem is consistency and rising to the level of competition.

With Dupree going to chuck smith, that says something about what he thought of the coaching here, and lets see how it goes this year.

I disagree. Many players use personal trainers and coaching specialist outside of the team's position or strength coaches to give them their individual one on one needs tailored to help them.  Not saying a position coach can't, but that is just a personal preference for some.

I think Dupree would benefit from better coaching and possible more form a mentor he could learn from .  

Despite supporting bud and believing he will improve, he has gotten all of this. Again being a great pass rusher doesn't necessarily make you a great coach, but Chuck Smith has had success with others who have worked with him. Bud is like 6'4 255 lbs of muscle and can run like a deer. He needs to get better with adding moves, using his hands and technique. Teaching and putting it together, don't always meet with some players.

Burns though, I don't see him in the league as a CB, but he might be a ST player and last CB on a roster. 

good oneB|   was this you when they didn't even try to sign Justin Houston?   Would you have signed Houston? IIRC your avatar at one time was of a player that played the game at a high level and I would  expect your standard for OLB to be as such. 

My former avatars have been as a fan of players.  I loved LaMarr Woodley, and despite some of his success, I don't feel like he played to his full potential. I saw Woodley as someone who could be better than Washington's Ryan Kerrigan.  I thought Woodley could and should have been on the level of Terrell Suggs.  Not as savvy, but more physically gifted and as quick.  It doesn't always translate.

As far as Houston, if the money was right yes. For what he got paid, no (2 years $24 million)! Houston has skills and pedigree, but reminds me Woodley at the end of his playing days in Oakland.  The juice isn't worth the squeeze and that's how many feel about the Steelers paying Bud. While it may not be a huge glass, I believe it will be bigger than a shot glass and will be pretty tasty. :D

This season should be better all around, and the D should be much better. If the coaching is better for Dupree I expect some better play and more real  stats. ILB and CB is much improved finally after years of sub par at both.  Butler might be able to apply his scheme of a ILB covering the WR1 and a decisive part of the game now9_9

Keith Butler has done a solid job coaching LB'ers in the past. It is all up to Bud now. Hopefully the light comes on. If not, 2019 will be his last year here. Period!

In related Pittsburgh Steelers OLB News:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/steelers-release-keion-adams-five-others-in-minicamp-roster-shakeup/

According to Alex Kozora (writer for Steelers Depot) the Steelers have cut OLB/Edge Keion Adams.  You all know Keion Adams, the player who was "part of the reason" that the OLB was not addressed last draft You know the player that some thought would be DPOY, an all pro, starter, Bud Dupree's back-up or at the very least make kick off coverage this year. :D9_9

In the immortal words of Freddie Mercury and Queen, "dum, dum, dum another one bites the dust! And another one gone........" Excuse my sarcasm as I need to blow off some steam. 9_9

All jokes aside, I am somewhat surprised at this, especially after Mr. Colbert's endorsement last year.  My only guess or speculation must be that he didn't improve or look the part running around in shorts during the "voluntary" OTA's and mini camp.   On the most optimistic side, the team is releasing him early so that he can sign elsewhere in time for camp, but in reality, that is not good either because no one cuts a player that they think they can use or can play well. Now Keion is gone with retired future Big Ben replacement from five drafts ago EJ Manuelo.O (yeah, I loved him in the fourth round that year). In the words of the late Bob Ueker, "Just a bit outside" with my prediction. xDNo Bell, no AB, no Keion! We are doomed! O.o Despite this I still wouldn't have overpaid for Justin Houston or Ziggy Ansah.  But yes, I will stick to overpaying for Bud. ¬¬ That's right!  Not because I am so enamored by him, but we really don't have many other viable options.

It is also true that I am way better looking than Jay Z. Yet and still she (Beyonce') didn't marry me. (That's what I get for joking around) LOL  Maybe the fact that he is a talented businessman, multi-millionare and musician are more appealing than my pure good looks to Beyonce.  :$  Maybe newly promoted, I mean demoted DC Keith Butler said not to waste his time with trying to develop Adams. Is it really because the team likes Olasunkanmi Adeniyi better.  He displayed the kind of explosiveness and potential of say Keion Adams when he was drafted in the seventh round.  Besides Oh-la (Ola) looks like he will become the next James Harrison. He will go from an un-drafted free agent to DPOY to trashing coach T, saying the game has passed him by and then signing with Patriots after Josh Daniels replaces the GOAT Bill Bellichik who they (media and fans) now say can't coach and isn't too bright.  His Super Bowl wins and appearances are just a fluke. O.o

It could be because J-Peezy was fired the video of him with a Shetland Pony, a cat and an elderly woman are of no longer any value to Keion.  Had it leaked, J-Peezy would probably say she was hot for a 75 year old (I meant the pony). "Who ride? Pony ride!" :| Yep all J-Peezy's fault for not developing Neion Keion "Flozell" Adams. Well so much for nicknames.:ph34r:

Is it true as some have speculated that the Steelers just can't evaluate, find and coach up OLB talent? No. I will never admit that as long as they have Bud and Chickello. You know Chickello, the player who reminds me of former Steeler turned NFL HC, TD catching, former SB Champion and pro bowl ILB for the Patriots Mike Vrabel.  Chick will make us forget that we didn't blow $10 or $12 million to sign Ziggy or Houston to spell Bud.  :o

In the end we will wait for the best, I mean third or fourth best aging veteran, salary cap casualty to be given the axe and sign them.  we can only hope that he is as classy as former Steeler Arthur Moates and can provide the same steady consistency as Moates 16.5 sacks. Oh that was over his eight year career in Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

I can still hear some of the great quotes, "Unleash hell! Seventh Heaven in 2012, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,( you get the point). Don't forget that we have Keion Adams." All you can do is laugh or not.

Katt-Williams.jpg

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Set the record straiight!!!!! And I do mean straight!!

14 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Bud has, and always has had, a great burst, but that's about all he has.  That's how I see him.  Not a fan at all.  But with that burst, of course there's potential to make a play on any given snap.  Problem is he doesn't do it often enough.

not a fan thus far either, one of the harshest critics but I don't think he got coaching here. Watt was better from day one, but if dupree had better coaching he would be more serviceable , how much I'm not sure.   He is slow off the snap too often, his only real threat is IF he gets off the snap in 9tech  and wins around the corner. He has tried a spin, but while the effort is there, he needs lessons from Freeney or Mathis.   The real issue I have is the team has a tradition at OLB and they have let it slide way too much and the dupree situation highlighted this. Criticism towards dupree can be said to be targeted for colbert IMO.

Adams is finally cut, but who will be nextB| This should give more snaps to Adeyini  and Smith.  I expect 5 OLB's on the roster this year.  Another one of colbert's highly touted players gone for good.  Maybe he will trade williams next,  release burns.... more of him undoing his signing or RD1 picks.  

Edited by 3rivers

16 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Uh, this is not what you meant to say.O.o

You got that right. LOL!!! Well Damn!!!

For the record. I am way better looking than JZ and yet SHE (BEYONCE") married him/JZ.  Correction made in the original post. :o

Jackass-Barack-Obama-48257.jpg

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

but if Dupree had better coaching he would be more serviceable , how much I'm not sure.   He is slow off the snap too often, his only real threat is IF he gets off the snap in 9tech  and wins around the corner. He has tried a spin, but while the effort is there, he needs lessons from Freeney or Mathis.  

I have a few questions my friend:

Who do you feel is the more gifted athlete: Dupree or Watt? I would definitely say Bud Dupree is a bigger, stronger and faster athlete.  However, we both know that pure athletics doesn't make you a good football player.  Bud is an athletic freak,  who at nearly 270 pounds ran a sub 4.6 forty.  However, where TJ Watt has an advantage is probably explosiveness, positional savvy and a higher football IQ.  Lawrence Taylor himself could tutor Bud and I don't think that is why he isn't getting it.  Most of your craft honing comes outside of the season in the off season.  This is why players get personal coaches (which Bud has).  His coach has had success coaching others who have put up great numbers rushing the QB like Von Miller and Aaron Donald.  It comes down to the light bulb flicking on.  Tj's has and Bud's is more flickering than flicking on.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-sack-whisperer-how-an-ex-nfl-player-became-the-phil-jackson-of-pass-rush-gurus/

The real issue I have is the team has a tradition at OLB and they have let it slide way too much and the Dupree situation highlighted this. Criticism towards Dupree can be said to be targeted for Colbert IMO.

Player evaluations are not as much of a science as we try to make it out to be. It is an art and it doesn't always fit.  If the Steelers drafted in the top ten consistently, they would have drafted a Vonn Miller, Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey, Kahlil Mack, Aaron Donald and other college blue chip prospects turned NFL superstars.  It is much harder o get those types of players consistently drafting in the lower 20's or high 30's as the Steelers have and consistently do.  In the past, the Steelers turned mid, late and no round (F/A) prospects into all pro's.  Harrison, Kevin Green< Greg Lloyd, J-Peezy, and a host of other solid LB'ers were not #1's.  I am curious what they do with a hard working, undersized, but productive player like Sutton Smith.  This is the type of player that typically becomes a great Steelers LB.  Bud doesn't get a pass, but he should be further along for all of his physical tools. I have seen improvement and I believe that he will break out in a similar fashion as former Steelers CB Keenen Lewis did before shipping out to New Orleans.

Adams is finally cut, but who will be nextB| This should give more snaps to Adeyini  and Smith.  I expect 5 OLB's on the roster this year.  Another one of Colbert's highly touted players gone for good.  Maybe he will trade williams next,  release burns.... more of him undoing his signing or RD1 picks.  

I agree.  Although I think that Vince stays.  He is a better back-up than starter in my opinion. He can be utilized as a blitzer in both the run and pass defenses.