Sign in to follow this  
Steeler Hitman

The Curious Case of OLB Bud Dupree

Will Bud Dupree make a positive impact in 2019 on the Steelers Defense?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bud Dupree make a positive impact in 2019 on the Steelers Defense?

• Yes, Bud will have his best season yet and be signed to a long term deal
    • No, 2019 is the last hurrah for Bud
    • Bud will have a typical Bud year (not great and not horrible), but the team will still sign him to at least another year.

The more i watch Dupree the more I think he would be a better 4-3 DE in a 9 tech.  THat is where he should be lining up to rush the passer.  But he has proven to be good in coverage and  ok vs the run.

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

The more I watch Dupree the more I think he would be a better 4-3 DE in a 9 tech.  That is where he should be lining up to rush the passer.  But he has proven to be good in coverage and  ok vs the run.

I agree. His body/size, technique and current results have shown this to be true more often than not (success as a 4-3 DE using wide 9 rush tech).  Because he is a freakish athlete, he can drop fairly well as a OLB.  However, with the amount of Nickel they play, he should probably have more success (sacks) than he has archived.   I remember when J-Peezy was the teams best pass rusher and they would employ him in the middle of the dime defense as a drop/cover ILB. 

Versatility in the Steelers defense often hurts players like Bud and has contributed to stymieing the development Sean Davis as well.

Sometimes the ABC is better than E=MC2 approach to defense.

8 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree. His body/size, technique and current results have shown this to be true more often than not (success as a 4-3 DE using wide 9 rush tech).  Because he is a freakish athlete, he can drop fairly well as a OLB.  However, with the amount of Nickel they play, he should probably have more success (sacks) than he has archived.   I remember when J-Peezy was the teams best pass rusher and they would employ him in the middle of the dime defense as a drop/cover ILB. 

Versatility in the Steelers defense often hurts players like Bud and has contributed to stymieing the development Sean Davis as well.

Sometimes the ABC is better than E=MC2 approach to defense.

dupree should have better stats, looks at Watt as a rookie - he was much better.  Dupree might be the athlete, but watt has the football instincts and acumen .  LeBeau  did the same thing with Lloyd as he did the Peezy. It might have worked, but Lebeau also used to drop Harrison as well as Woodley in the dime when he should have just let them rush.  I hope to never see that again from the steelers. 

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Dupree should have better stats, looks at Watt as a rookie - he was much better.  Dupree might be the athlete, but Watt has the football instincts and acumen .  LeBeau  did the same thing with Lloyd as he did the Peezy. It might have worked, but Lebeau also used to drop Harrison as well as Woodley in the dime when he should have just let them rush.  I hope to never see that again from the Steelers. 

I agree 100% with everything that you said.