Strengths and Weaknesses?

Rockice_8

After the draft the team is close to what they will be come start of the season.  You'll get an addition or two from the camp cuts but overall the team isn't set for a drastic change most likely.  Also it is a bit of dead time between now and TC.  Question is what do you see as the 3 biggest strengths and 3 biggest weaknesses for the current state of the Jets?  

My strengths

1. Run Defense - we were always good under Rex and early on under Bowles too but this team really took a step back last year.  We got gashed far too often for what should have been a good defense.  Not sure if it had to do with out poor pass defense but I think we rebound in a big way and be a top 5 run defense this year.  If we can get back to under 4.0 ypc that should get us back in the top 5 range.  With Big Q, Leo, Mosley, Williamson, Adams and a healthy Maye we should be stout up the middle.

2. QB - I think we are looking at a big year for Sam.  There are things he needs to work on still and his OL isn't exactly the 2017 Cowboys but with the additions of Bell, Crowder, and a healthy Anderson/Q Sam should be ready to take the leap we all saw the last quarter of his rookie year.  Gase will also be huge in helping him get the ball out quick and letting his talented pass catchers do the rest.  Very excited to see Sam in year 2 under Gase with more talent.

3. TE - I was tempted to say RB because Bell may be the best back in football when he plays but I just love our TE room.  I think the duo of Herndon and Wesco are going to be elite.  Herndon looks like a complete TE and doing what he did as a rookie is rare at TE.  Wesco looks like a blocker for now but he has great hands albeit a limited sample size.  Once he gets comfortable we can really disguise plays with 2 good blocking and receiving TE's.  Even if Wesco is nothing special Herndon looks to be the next big thing at TE.

My Weaknesses

1. OL specifically Center - No secret we could have used two starting caliber OL to start the year.  We did solid with KO for LG and I would be an upgrade to Long even though Harrison is replacement level.  I like the addition of Edoga, he could legitimately push Shell at RT and be a possible future LT as he reminds me of the guy out there right now Beachum.  At worst I see him taking over at RT in 2020 but we still could use an upgrade at C for 2019. 

2. CB - I am going to be driving the Jones train from now until he gets a shot to play.  Not saying he's our next #1 CB but I really like this kid to be a future starter.  My issue is more with Trumaine who I just have 0 faith in.  If our current best CB is Roberts that is an issue.  I don't have faith in Tru, Poole isn't great in coverage (better tackler/blitzer), I like Jones but he'll be up and down until he gets more comfortable and Roberts is solid at best.  We could really use a stud to be the #1 guy and allow Jones to develop opposite him.

3. Edge Rush - Love the upside of Polite and Luvu flashed some but if Polite struggles we have a serious issue where QB's won't be pushed up into the pocket to our stud IDL.  We'd be counting on our pass rush to come from the inside which if it can is devastating for an offense but harder to do consistently with teams being able to double DT's with C/OG.  We are really putting a lot on the shoulders of Polite to be that guy.  

• Like 1

Here’s my 2 cents...

Strengths

1. Our Interior DL. Williams, Williams, Anderson, McClendon and Shepard should be tough to run on and to block rushing the passer.

2. Our ILBs. Mosley is a top LB and Williamson is very good as well. We still have Lee so until he’s gone I assume he’s part of this group. And he showed flashes last year. And there’s depth with Cashman and Hewitt as well.

3. Running Backs. How can we say this isn’t a strength when we have arguably the best RB in the NFL now on the team. The depth I’m not high on, but Montgomery is a moving piece in a Gase offense and McGuire isn’t bad as a 3rd option.

Weaknesses

1. Edge rushers: an area we didn’t address really. We can all hope Polite becomes good, but until I see that... it’s a weakness. Jenkins, Polite, Copeland and Luvu isn’t a good group. Who knows maybe we trade for a  guy.

2. The right side of the OL starring at C. We never addressed C all offseason. I’d say we value Harrison... but we tried to upgrade and just fell shy in FA and the draft. Winters is average and Shell might not be healthy. Edoga is flexible so he can challenge for RG and RT if either Shell or Winters drop off.

3. WR depth. Our 3 WRs aren’t bad. But it’s a passing league and you generally need more depth than that. What’s even more worrisome is the injury history with 2 of the 3 starters. Enunwa and Crowder have an injury past and we have no one on our roster that can come close to stepping in for them. We are an injury away from having to start guys like Bellamy and Burnett.

Now I’ll point out some of our other groups that I don’t see as a strength or a weakness. But comment on them.

1. Safety. Adams on the brink of elite so he’s what makes the group almost a strength. But bc Maye can’t stay healthy I can’t say it’s a strength until he’s injury free and playing good.

2. CB. I don’t think this group is as bad as some think. Getting pass rush will funnel it’s way to better secondary play. Defense is a group effort. Each stage of the defense benefits from each other. If Williams and Polite can be difference makers, you will see our secondary look a ton better.

3. TE. Herndon looked very good last year, but it’s just 1 season. Im not ready to anoint him to a strength quite yet. Wesco seems like a good blocker and should help to run game. But I’m not expecting much from him besides that. I hope he’s good, but I need to see the player experts talk about, rather than just hear it. There’s a lot of potential in this group. Which is good. But bc its a 2nd year guy and a rookie I can’t say they’re a strength.

4. Left side of the OL. Beachum and Osemele are a good left side. Should really help Bell be a force for us. And keep Darnold upright.

5. QB. Darnold struggles last year and then looked very good the last month or so of the season. And looked like he was figuring it out. Hoping he builds off of that. But bc the sample size of his good play was so small I can’t say he’s a strength for us. But obviously the potential is there that we found our franchise QB.

• Like 1

I think you kind of listed them out. I'll give it a shot as well.

Strengths:

• Run Defense: With the Williams Brothers, CJ Mosley, Williamson, and Jamal Adams, good luck trying to run against us. Our match up against the Ravens should be a lot of fun to watch. Strength against Strength. I'll take the Jets Run Defense over the Ravens Rushing Attack.
  • Short to Intermediate Passing Attack: One of the areas Darnold excelled at in college was in passes under 10 yards. So, the short to intermediate space let's call it. So, what did Macc do. He gave him a top receiving back. He gave him Crowder a quick separator who will line up in the slot. Wrap those 2 additions within Adam Gase's offense and I see Darnold having a lot of success in the short to intermediate space. 

Weaknesses:

• Running Game: I know we added Bell and Osemele, but we were terrible in this area last year. We have two tackles that cant run block and we have a big question mark at center. Weakness might be a stretch. But it's an area I'm nervous about.
  • Covering outside receivers: I think some of Tru's issues were injury related as he seemed to play better down the stretch. However, we don't have a proven #2. I think that'll be an issue for us all year.  
Edited by SDotNova

How can someone have more faith in Jones than Tru? When Tru got healthy he was the top rated Corner in the league. Still led us in picks playing hurt and missing what 5 games? 

Ridiculous. 

He’s also back with the coach who developed him into the player that earned that contract. 

• Like 3

Strengths:

Interior DL obviously. Can't say we do anything well yet until I see it. Run defense was terrible last year. Should be much better with Mosley and Q. Honestly IDL and ILB are the only positions of strength. Maybe S if Maye healthy.

Aggressiveness: Both Gregg and Gase will be aggressive on both sides of the ball. On offense more than ever and on D maybe even more than Rex was. Not saying it will be better than Rex but Williams is historically a live and die by the sword DC. I expect Adams will be a human missile. I view this as a strength because we have been anything but aggressive under the last regime. O

Preparation: I think this team will be well coached all the way through, exponentially more than last year. Again, I want to obviously see it, but Gase had his teams ready to play. Bowles NEVER did.

Weaknesses:

4 man rush: for like 15 years. there is a chance this becomes much closer to the mean, but history isnt on our side.

Run Blocking: Beachum, Center Position, Shell are piss poor run blockers. Bell being patient will help, but that is if he even has time to be patient. 

WR Depth: I realllllly wanted Butler in the 4th or a WR at some point to develop. At some point we are going to have to start swinging on some skill positions. I would like us to add someone before during or after camp. We need the depth badly. 

After doing my HW on players, i do think this was Macs best draft to date. I hope it bares the most fruit. However, I still dont think this is going to be a playoff team. I hope I am wrong but trying to do this was tougher than I thought. This team really doesnt have that many strengths. 

Strengths 

Middle of the field- Adams, Leo, Mosley, AW, QWill, Maye and McLendon will win up the middle all season long. 

YAC- We got a lot of guys who can make plays after the catch. Bell, Q, Crowder, Herndon and Ty Mont will all make plays with the balls in their hands. Sam just has to be on time. 

Special Teams- Boyer is a good ST coach, I think we’ll continue to thrive there. 

Weaknesses 

EDGE Rush- Until Proven otherwise I’m not sure if Polite, Jenkins, Copeland and Luvu will win enough battles. I like Polite and Copeland and Jenkins is a solid run defender. 

OL- Speaks for itself. Hoping Pollack can get them all to play above their current level and work as a unit. 

10 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

How can someone have more faith in Jones than Tru? When Tru got healthy he was the top rated Corner in the league. Still led us in picks playing hurt and missing what 5 games? 

Ridiculous. 

He’s also back with the coach who developed him into the player that earned that contract. 

Never said I have more faith in Jones then Tru just that I don't review Tru as a #1 CB anymore and zero faith that being back the Williams will revert him back to being a star again.  He is a #2 CB type at this point not a guy you can play 1 on 1 with the other teams best WR as he is supposed to do.  Hope I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

I just said I have faith that Jones can develop into a #2 CB this season if you interpret that as more faith in Jones then Tru I'll back track that because I don't have more faith in Jones then Tru at least not yet.  I'll clarify that I just think Jones is going to be a starting caliber #2 CB type in this league and Tru is declining to a #2 type CB.  I think the gap is closing between them which if your #1 CB is getting closer to a guy with only flashes of limited decent play that is an issue.  I get it's a bold take but I just really like what I saw from Jones and was highly disappointed in Tru.  

You really think Tru was the best CB in the league once he got healthy?  You are drinking too much PFF kool-aid. 

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Never said I have more faith in Jones then Tru just that I don't review Tru as a #1 CB anymore and zero faith that being back the Williams will revert him back to being a star again.  He is a #2 CB type at this point not a guy you can play 1 on 1 with the other teams best WR as he is supposed to do.  Hope I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

I just said I have faith that Jones can develop into a #2 CB this season if you interpret that as more faith in Jones then Tru I'll back track that because I don't have more faith in Jones then Tru at least not yet.  I'll clarify that I just think Jones is going to be a starting caliber #2 CB type in this league and Tru is declining to a #2 type CB.  I think the gap is closing between them which if your #1 CB is getting closer to a guy with only flashes of limited decent play that is an issue.  I get it's a bold take but I just really like what I saw from Jones and was highly disappointed in Tru.  

You really think Tru was the best CB in the league once he got healthy?  You are drinking too much PFF kool-aid. 

I said he was the highest rated Corner. That’s a fact. 

Again when Tru got healthy he played well so why won’t he play well again in his old system under his old DC?

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I said he was the highest rated Corner. That’s a fact. 

Again when Tru got healthy he played well so why won’t he play well again in his old system under his old DC?

I get it's a fact but PFF isn't the end all be all.  Doesn't mean Sam was the best QB in the league the last quarter of the season either.

He's on his way to the CB graveyard of 30, he's never been fast to begin with, and he was toasted a ton last year by average WR's.

I hope you are right that he plays like a #1 but I am skeptical to say the least.

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I get it's a fact but PFF isn't the end all be all.  Doesn't mean Sam was the best QB in the league the last quarter of the season either.

He's on his way to the CB graveyard of 30, he's never been fast to begin with, and he was toasted a ton last year by average WR's.

I hope you are right that he plays like a #1 but I am skeptical to say the least.

They played well by all accounts. But they also played like crap for stretches. Let’s hope with better coaching they can progress and play up to their potentials.