Magnanimous Theismann

RSkinGM

• 2 weeks later...

It’s the organizations fault that this is even an issue. They should retire numbers of players who are Hall of Farmers and Sean Taylor and every other number should be up for grabs. There’s a way to solve these conflicts from happening every offseasonbut the front office won’t take the necessary steps.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, turtle28 said:

It’s the organizations fault that this is even an issue. They should retire numbers of players who are Hall of Farmers and Sean Taylor and every other number should be up for grabs. There’s a way to solve these conflicts from happening every offseasonbut the front office won’t take the necessary steps.

Due to positional groups having to be in a given number range, the NFL frowns on teams retiring numbers.

The current policy is a decent compromise. If the player is asked and is willing to release the hold on his number, then that number goes back into rotation for that player. If not, the rookie/free agent can take a different number and make it their own.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Theismann was a good QB, but I don't see how he should rate this kind of behavior by the team.

As I said before, he's arguably at worst the third best QB in franchise history. Why wouldn't he get this behavior? (and yes, Sonny's #9 is in the same category)

On 5/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, turtle28 said:

They should officially retire a bunch of numbers (7,44,28,81,68,66) while these guys are still alive. 

Maybe it's because I never got to see him play live, but I get to see him all over the broadcast, but I've never gotten why Theismann's number has been sacred. Just because he'd be "top 3" of Redskins QB's doesn't really mean much, we haven't had very good QB's in our history. He seemingly had two good years, won a superbowl in one of them, but was never anywhere near the best in the league.

I'd only really retire 9, 81, 28, 68, 66, and 21. That's probably about it. I can probably be talked into 44 as well, but I think he was also a product moreso of the Hogs and being run into the ground then just Riggins being a monster.

(Green is also an ******* so I'd like to not retire that as well)

Edited by Brian23
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Woz said:

As I said before, he's arguably at worst the third best QB in franchise history. Why wouldn't he get this behavior? (and yes, Sonny's #9 is in the same category)

He's not a hall of famer?  He was a good QB and nothing more?

I mean, why not just retire all the numbers of all the guys in the ring of honor then?