Conklin’s 5th year option declined

615finest

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So if Conklin isn't resigned that means in 2016 we wasted the 8th pick that we used the 15th pick, 76th pick, and 2017's 52nd pick to acquire. So basically gave up 3 top 100 picks for nothing. That is an absolutely massive blunder on Robinson's resume if it shakes out that way.

I think the picks (just two picks because we still ended up with an 1st round pick to select Conklin) would be wasted, but if we are talking about personnel, it wouldn't be a major hit.

Considering we'd still have a starter in Kelly and a good back-up in Pamphille, if he doesn't win the OG spot.  

It would kind of be like RG3 and Cousins. Yes, you wasted draft capital but you still ended up with a starting QB from the draft.

So yeah it's a hit of 2 picks and it's a blunder, but not massively since J-Rob still managed to successfully find a player to start in that spot, assumedly with Kelly. 

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think the picks (just two picks because we still ended up with an 1st round pick to select Conklin) would be wasted, but if we are talking about personnel, it wouldn't be a major hit.

Considering we'd still have a starter in Kelly and a good back-up in Pamphille, if he doesn't win the OG spot.  

It would kind of be like RG3 and Cousins. Yes, you wasted draft capital but you still ended up with a starting QB from the draft.

So yeah it's a hit of 2 picks and it's a blunder, but not massively since J-Rob still managed to successfully find a player to start in that spot, assumedly with Kelly. 

If Conklin does bust then the pick used to take him was a waste. That, plus the two picks used to trade up for him will also be a waste. So 3 wasted picks if he doesn’t prove good enough to re-sign.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

So if Conklin isn't resigned that means in 2016 we wasted the 8th pick that we used the 15th pick, 76th pick, and 2017's 52nd pick to acquire. So basically gave up 3 top 100 picks for nothing. That is an absolutely massive blunder on Robinson's resume if it shakes out that way.

Yup. What a freaking waste of a high draft pick. 

So much for locking down our bookend tackles for a decade plus. I dont see why we wouldn't at least use the option.

Conklin got overhyped after his rookie season where he got a lot of help from TE and RB chips.

Smh.

39 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If Conklin does bust then the pick used to take him was a waste. That, plus the two picks used to trade up for him will also be a waste. So 3 wasted picks if he doesn’t prove good enough to re-sign.

Not saying it wouldn't be a waste. Just saying not needing another draft pick of Conklin doesn't workout takes the sting out a little. 

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

WHAT?! no way it is. the guy got hurt. he was an all pro before that and may return to that given more time to rehab. Conklin is by no means written off. he is is the same boat as Mariota. he has to prove it again. Robinson made the correct pick. slow down there buddy.

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

That's a little silly. He was a pretty big reason for the quick turnaround in 2016, helped sending this team to the playoffs in 2017. And this comes from someone who never believed in the hype as much as most people, but that's just absurd. 

J Rob is definitely not responsible for Conklin's injury or for how he looked coming back from it. Dodd is, IMO, still by far the biggest mistake (at least in the Draft) he has made since taking over. It's undeniable though he improved this team tremendously and sent it on the right path. Even a miss on a top 10 pick won't change that.

19 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

WHAT?! no way it is. the guy got hurt. he was an all pro before that and may return to that given more time to rehab. Conklin is by no means written off. he is is the same boat as Mariota. he has to prove it again. Robinson made the correct pick. slow down there buddy.

I didn’t write him off read it again buddy

3 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

That's a little silly. He was a pretty big reason for the quick turnaround in 2016, helped sending this team to the playoffs in 2017. And this comes from someone who never believed in the hype as much as most people, but that's just absurd. 

J Rob is definitely not responsible for Conklin's injury or for how he looked coming back from it. Dodd is, IMO, still by far the biggest mistake (at least in the Draft) he has made since taking over. It's undeniable though he improved this team tremendously and sent it on the right path. Even a miss on a top 10 pick won't change that.

I’m not holding him responsible for his injury. But if he isn’t re-signed it’s a waste of 3 draft picks and it’s not really even a debate. We were on the right path with or without him. Blunder is too strong of a word, waste however isn’t.

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

I’m not holding him responsible for his injury. But if he isn’t re-signed it’s a waste of 3 draft picks and it’s not really even a debate. We were on the right path with or without him. Blunder is too strong of a word, waste however isn’t.

Miss is what I'd go for. Waste implies we didn't get anything out of that pick (which, again, is what someone like Dodd is), which is simply not true. He was good, or at least above average as a RT starter, for two years. While that's not necessarily the return you'd hope for out of a 8th overall pick, that's just the way this business goes sometimes. Players go through injuries and regress, or fail to continue their development on their own. And sometimes you miss on players, which is something you need to accept, both as a fan and as an executive.

What if he lights it up this year, but he's asking for too much money, and they decide they already have a ****load to continue paying Lewan, and want to make sure they pay someone like Mariota, Byard, maybe Henry, before him, and he moves on in FA? That'd make it three good years of play of at least above average at the cost of a rookie contract. Which, again, is not the best case scenario for a top 10 pick, but it'd be very far from being a waste of a pick too.

48 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

thats not a waste of a pick my guy. if a guy proves to be worth the selection based on his play, that pick is warranted in my eyes. injuries happen. injuries dont make guys bust. Vrabel always says this is a 100% injury guarantee sport. sometimes it just shakes out like that. so would it be a waste if lets say he played stellar all 5 years here and decided on his own not to resign with the team? is that a wasted pick then? not it isn't. just how it shakes out sometimes.

I just don't understand why we didn't pick up the option unless JRob has written him off. If he bounces back, the option would have been cheaper. Only way you don't take that is if you don't believe he will be worth it, and that shows they don't have faith in him.

50 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Miss is what I'd go for. Waste implies we didn't get anything out of that pick (which, again, is what someone like Dodd is), which is simply not true. He was good, or at least above average as a RT starter, for two years. While that's not necessarily the return you'd hope for out of a 8th overall pick, that's just the way this business goes sometimes. Players go through injuries and regress, or fail to continue their development on their own. And sometimes you miss on players, which is something you need to accept, both as a fan and as an executive.

What if he lights it up this year, but he's asking for too much money, and they decide they already have a ****load to continue paying Lewan, and want to make sure they pay someone like Mariota, Byard, maybe Henry, before him, and he moves on in FA? That'd make it three good years of play of at least above average at the cost of a rookie contract. Which, again, is not the best case scenario for a top 10 pick, but it'd be very far from being a waste of a pick too.

My whole waste premise is based around him not having a good enough 2019-20 to be re-signed. If the scenario you gave presented itself it wouldn't be a waste because he will have played his way out of what we can afford. Getting 2 good years out of the number 8 pick only for us to to send him off to FA because he isn't worth a second contract is a waste in my book. It's a double and triple fold waste because we used 2 picks to move up and get him.

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I just don't understand why we didn't pick up the option unless JRob has written him off. If he bounces back, the option would have been cheaper. Only way you don't take that is if you don't believe he will be worth it, and that shows they don't have faith in him.

Or it could be just insurance in case he doesn't. Or they could structure his contract in a way that even if he's paid more money than the option would've paid him they do it in a way that works better for the team. Given the situation, I'd rather them be cautious rather than having blind faith he'll be worth it next year, but no, I don't think this means they've given up on him at all.

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

thats not a waste of a pick my guy. if a guy proves to be worth the selection based on his play, that pick is warranted in my eyes. injuries happen. injuries dont make guys bust. Vrabel always says this is a 100% injury guarantee sport. sometimes it just shakes out like that. so would it be a waste if lets say he played stellar all 5 years here and decided on his own not to resign with the team? is that a wasted pick then? not it isn't. just how it shakes out sometimes.

There is such a thing as an injury bust. Which is what he will be labeled if he can't bounce back. Again, if he prices himself out of what we can afford/his level of play makes us want to keep him but he decides on his own he wants to play elsewhere, it's not a waste since he became a good player we wanted to keep but weren't able to. If he's not worth keeping that means he didn't become a good player (whether that be from injury or not) and it was an enormous waste of not just the 8th overall pick in 2016, but also the 76th pick in the same draft and the 52nd pick in the draft the following year. That is a lot.