Conklin’s 5th year option declined

615finest

43 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

"We could have done better with our picks." 
Hindsight is a dangerous thing.

Let's look at who was selected after #8 in the 1st round. That we COULD have picked.

9-Leonard Floyd- 15 career sacks in 3 years. Not really a homeroom for top 10.
10. Eli Apple- Traded to NY.
11. Veron Hargreaves-...done nothing reall
12. Sheldon Rankins- Good player.
13. Laremy Tunsil- Good/decent player.
14. Karl Joseph- Benched
15. Cory Coleman- Traded/cut.. in the league?
16. Taylor Decker- Eh Tackle I guess.
17. Keanu Neal- Good player/ injuries
18. Ryan Kelly- Decent center
19. Shaq Lawson- 10 Career Sacks
20. Darron Lee- 5th year option also not picked up.
21. Will Fuller- Good deep threat...injuries
22. Josh Docton- Injuries, not lived up to pick.
23. Laquon Treadwell- Bust.
24. William Jackson- 1 Career INT. I don't even know if he still playing.
25. Artie Burns- Gets burned.
26. Paxton Lynch- Cut..on a team?
27. Kenny Clark- 10 sacks. I guess he is a good NT.
28. Joshua Garnett-Injuries missed all last year.
29. Robert Nkemdiche- Option not picked up. Injuries 4.5 sacks in career I think? If i read correctly.
30. Vernon Butler- 2.5 massive career sacks.
31. Germain Ifedi- Struggling

So...I guess we'd take: Rankins, Neal maybe, Fuller maybe and I guess Kenny Clark? Tunsil if you just want to take the next best tackle.
Were any of them at the time worth a #8 pick? If anything be mad he didn't go up higher to get Bosa or Ramsey.

Again, busting on Conklin is one thing, but wasting a 76th and 52nd pick to move up for him is another thing. In 2017 when we were in the market for WR's, if we never made that trade then at pick 52 we could have have had JuJu who went 62nd or Kupp who went 69th, but instead ended up with drop lord Taywan Taylor at 72.

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Again, busting on Conklin is one thing, but wasting a 76th and 52nd pick to move up for him is another thing. In 2017 when we were in the market for WR's, if we never made that trade then at pick 52 we could have have had JuJu who went 62nd or Kupp who went 69th, but instead ended up with drop lord Taywan Taylor at 72.

Just saying.  That what if is dangerous. We could do that with every pick in every draft. 

And the declining the option. I think, like others feel.. this is about money. Not so much about play. 

Right tackles aren't making $12 million. They could extend him for cheaper and use that money for the other players needing new deals. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

😩🤣 drop lord good 1

• Like 1

Unfortunate things happen. Unless certain factors made Conklin's situation predictable (there were no such factors), losing a player due to inury isn't a blunder that scars a GMs credibility. It's just an unfortunate even that sometimes happens. 

It literally could have happened to anyone. Does the fact that we traded up to get a player that it happened to make it a blunder? No, it's just that much more unfortunate.