Conklin’s 5th year option declined

615finest

No surprise if we’re being honest here. His play has declined ever since his rookie year. Had the ACL injury and to me came back too early. However, he’s had the benefit of help his whole career. Whether that be TE or a chip from the RB. We just paid Lewan big money and gave Saffold a big contract. It would’ve been dumb to pick up the option with his recent play. Not everyone can get paid. This is a good problem to have considering we finally have players worth extending.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

No surprise if we’re being honest here. His play has declined ever since his rookie year. Had the ACL injury and to me came back too early. However, he’s had the benefit of help his whole career. Whether that be TE or a chip from the RB. We just paid Lewan big money and gave Saffold a big contract. It would’ve been dumb to pick up the option with his recent play.

Especially when you consider Kelly played just as good, if not better last year.

2 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

JROB knows something we don't? I was hoping Conklin to return to form but alas...

Seems like security to me in case he doesn't. If Conklin doesn't return to rookie/sophomore form, you let him go. if he does, you can still negotiate with him.

• Like 3

So if Conklin isn't resigned that means in 2016 we wasted the 8th pick that we used the 15th pick, 76th pick, and 2017's 52nd pick to acquire. So basically gave up 3 top 100 picks for nothing. That is an absolutely massive blunder on Robinson's resume if it shakes out that way.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So if Conklin isn't resigned that means in 2016 we wasted the 8th pick that we used the 15th pick, 76th pick, and 2017's 52nd pick to acquire. So basically gave up 3 top 100 picks for nothing. That is an absolutely massive blunder on Robinson's resume if it shakes out that way.

If Conklin returns to form and we don't bring him back, then yea, it's for sure a blunder.

If he doesn't return to form, then not really, no. You can't control who gets hurt.

31 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

so, what's the implication here? is it that we're expecting him not to return to form this year and preparing to possibly let him go afterward?

I think it is "we don't want to pay you $13.2 Million for what you gave us last year.  And if we move you to OG then we don't want to pay you OT money.  I think they still like him but they have reasonable doubt about him based on his play last year. If he can't rebound from the ACL then it will be just another horror story of Titan's draft picks.

But he rebound next year, you can still franchise him or negotiate a new deal in that same range of pay.

• Like 1