Raiders Offense Thread:

MrOaktown_56

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

To be truthful, I like what Jacobs put on film and he looks like a very versatile, modern RB however, the fact he didn't play a whole lot makes me nervous about his longevity. People always talk about the 'rookie wall' late in the season but this guy has barely played a full season - how is he going to cope with 16 full on games and how is that going to tell on his body when he starts picking up little bumps here and there - I think it is a genuine concern. With regard McFadden, the reason why he didn't have great success IMHO was the fact he ran very fast in straight lines and didn't have great lower body size, strength or agility, he could truck into people with his shoulder but didn't have great contact balance - something that was evident in his college play and was noted around here too after we drafted him. 

I think Jacobs looks to be a much better all round multi purpose back than McFadden but the very light workload does present a reason to be cautious. I'd like for us to have a guy like Lynch or Crowell to take a load off him if he seems to be running out of steam, maybe Richard or Washington will have that role but it didn't look like that was the original intentions.

D. McFadden missed 29 games in 7 seasons.  I don't know what the average amount is for starting RBs in the league but I remember him missing a lot of time.  I agree with everything you say about his lower body size and balance.  

J. Jacobs touched the ball 318 times in college, D. McFadden 869 times.  These numbers include runs, receptions, and returns.  D. McFadden played practically 3 full seasons before coming into the league, J. Jacobs played one.  

I just think he's going to last longer due to the fact that he wasn't thoroughly ran into the ground while in college.  We obviously should ease him into playing the full NFL season, and I think we can easily do that.  J. Richard is a receiving threat and D. Washington seems healthy and ready to contribute.  No reason why we should be expecting a 300 carry season from Jacobs.  

I agree it would be nice to have Lynch here, but I think the Raiders are ready to move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

D. McFadden missed 29 games in 7 seasons.  I don't know what the average amount is for starting RBs in the league but I remember him missing a lot of time.  I agree with everything you say about his lower body size and balance.  

J. Jacobs touched the ball 318 times in college, D. McFadden 869 times.  These numbers include runs, receptions, and returns.  D. McFadden played practically 3 full seasons before coming into the league, J. Jacobs played one.  

I just think he's going to last longer due to the fact that he wasn't thoroughly ran into the ground while in college.  We obviously should ease him into playing the full NFL season, and I think we can easily do that.  J. Richard is a receiving threat and D. Washington seems healthy and ready to contribute.  No reason why we should be expecting a 300 carry season from Jacobs.  

I agree it would be nice to have Lynch here, but I think the Raiders are ready to move on.

Going off of history, Gruden has typically not been the type of coach who gave one RB the full load.  I believe Cadilac Williams 290 carries as a rookie was the most any have ever had in one season. Maybe that's due to the type of backs he has had, but 200-240 in a committee is what seems to be logical based on what has happened up until now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jerry said:

Yes, McFadden did miss a lot of time, wasn't his big issue initially the turf toe or something similar, so overuse or a very heavy workload may well have had a bearing on that. Jacobs certainly won't be worn down, I guess our management of him will be crucial and I can see an argument either way - he has lots of tread on the tires so he could have a very long career or he could suffer with the increase in workload. Excited to see what he brings to the backfield. 

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yes, McFadden did miss a lot of time, wasn't his big issue initially the turf toe or something similar, so overuse or a very heavy workload may well have had a bearing on that. Jacobs certainly won't be worn down, I guess our management of him will be crucial and I can see an argument either way - he has lots of tread on the tires so he could have a very long career or he could suffer with the increase in workload. Excited to see what he brings to the backfield. 

McFadden had  genetic foot issues, plus he ran to straight up and took a massive hits.

I may be overly optimistic. But i expect this offense to be elite this year despite Cable's shortcomings and the OL pieces we are missing the first 5 weeks.

Carr throws for 4650 yards with 37 TD and 11 INT.

Jacobs rushes for 1100 yards with 9 TD on the ground adding in 550 yards and 2 TD through the air. 

AB catches 105 balls for 1225 yards with 11 TD 
Tyrell catches 85 balls for 1075 yards and 8 TD
Waller catches 55 balls for 675 yards and 7 TD

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I may be overly optimistic. But i expect this offense to be elite this year despite Cable's shortcomings and the OL pieces we are missing the first 5 weeks.

Jacobs rushes for 1100 yards with 9 TD on the ground adding in 550 yards and 2 TD through the air. 

Wow that is really optimistic. I mean Carr has never thrown for that much. That’s a career year for him and maybe a MVP award for him. I’m not too sure he can do that however. 

On 8/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, OG_C2X said:

The numbers for Carr I think are a little to high and that leaves 1125 yards for everyone else.  Unless our backs go for over 1000 yards I do not see it.  4650 yds plus our rush yards from last year, which ranked 24th in the league, plus 250 rush yards from Carr, they say they want him to run more, gives us 6,580 yards for the year.  That is 4th in the league.  even without 250 from Carr we still rank 5th by last years standards.  I do not see us putting up over 6,000 total offence but we will be much better.  We should improve our yards per game by about 30 yards but the biggest improvement will be in points.  We were second to last in yards/point last year.  Only Jax was worse.