Raiders Offense Thread:

MrOaktown_56

On 8/27/2019 at 6:31 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Remember the big knock on Kamara was his lack of touches and carrying the load in college. Not saying Jacobs is going to be Kamara, but I don't think that's a big issue.

Kamara in college: 284 touches, 1,977 yards (7.0 avg), 23 TD

Jacobs in college: 299 touches, 2,062 yards (6.9 avg) 21 TD

On 8/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Remember the big knock on Kamara was his lack of touches and carrying the load in college. Not saying Jacobs is going to be Kamara, but I don't think that's a big issue.

I'll say it. Jacobs will be better than Kamara.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Wow that is really optimistic. I mean Carr has never thrown for that much. That’s a career year for him and maybe a MVP award for him. I’m not too sure he can do that however. 

he threw for 4000 yards with you and I playing WR, in his first year in Gruden's System.

I expect Carr to have an MVP caliber season with the weapons and the familiarity with the system. 

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The numbers for Carr I think are a little to high and that leaves 1125 yards for everyone else.  Unless our backs go for over 1000 yards I do not see it.  4650 yds plus our rush yards from last year, which ranked 24th in the league, plus 250 rush yards from Carr, they say they want him to run more, gives us 6,580 yards for the year.  That is 4th in the league.  even without 250 from Carr we still rank 5th by last years standards.  I do not see us putting up over 6,000 total offence but we will be much better.  We should improve our yards per game by about 30 yards but the biggest improvement will be in points.  We were second to last in yards/point last year.  Only Jax was worse.

I fully expect our offense to be a top 5 offense next year so yes, I am sticking with my projections.

I think our offense should be pretty damn good this year. The only two question marks heading into the year, IMO, are 1.) Can Kolton Miller play up to his draft status this year? 2.) Is Darren Waller a starting caliber TE? If those two guys can play well this year then this group will be by far the most talented unit Derek Carr has ever had around him and he's in year two of Gruden's system should he should have a great grasp of it. 

In 2016 when he should've won MVP our skill position group was: 

RB: Latavius Murray

WR1: Amari Cooper

WR2: Michael Crabtree

Slot: Seth Roberts

TE: Clive Walford

This years group is projecting to be much better than that, IMO: 

RB: Josh Jacobs

WR1: Antonio Brown

WR2: Tyrell Williams

Slot: Hunter Renfrow

TE: Darren Waller 

9 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I fully expect our offense to be a top 5 offense next year so yes, I am sticking with my projections.

Then you my friend are very optimistic.  I personally believe we will be 12-15 range but I can deal with top 5.:D  Having an amazing offense will be great but I really want to see a TO ratio close to 10+.

Edited by drfrey13

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think our offense should be pretty damn good this year. The only two question marks heading into the year, IMO, are 1.) Can Kolton Miller play up to his draft status this year? 2.) Is Darren Waller a starting caliber TE? If those two guys can play well this year then this group will be by far the most talented unit Derek Carr has ever had around him and he's in year two of Gruden's system should he should have a great grasp of it. 

True the skill position players are potentially improved but a large part of that offence was our elite OL play too. That may happen this year as we stil have Hudson, Brown, Incognito and Gabe when he gets back but Miller is a question mark and of course we're without our starting OGs for a portion of the season too. It's highly likely the OL play is significantly worse than the 2016 vintage which is some of the best pass protection I've seen.

16 hours ago, Darbsk said:

True the skill position players are potentially improved but a large part of that offence was our elite OL play too. That may happen this year as we stil have Hudson, Brown, Incognito and Gabe when he gets back but Miller is a question mark and of course we're without our starting OGs for a portion of the season too. It's highly likely the OL play is significantly worse than the 2016 vintage which is some of the best pass protection I've seen.

I would say skill is definitely improved. Agree on the OL.

Murray was a limited back who wasn't a factor in the pass game. Jacobs is the polar opposite, a modern, complete back. Brown is far and away the best WR Carr has had. Roberts was statistically one of the worst WR's in the league in terms of yards per route run and had tons of drops/turnovers. It won't be hard for Renfrow to equal his production in terms of finding a niche (e.g. 3rd down, easy completions).

TE is a tossup, but Waller looks like an elite specimen and Walford was never more than meh.

I agree with your OL assesment. Once Incognito and Jackson come back, it COULD be very good, but it's really on Cable and Miller to take the next step. Miller looked decent when healthy though and he's definitely beefed up. Trent looks like a monster. Fingers crossed that we see some nice things week one.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, NYRaider said:

What made that offense great besides Carr was the beasting in the trenches. Seems like so long ago, and one magical season turned back to a pumpkin. We also had two number 1 wideouts, Crabtree was a baller. Murray and Walford meh, but at least Murray could pass block and score touchdowns 

Edited by Humble_Beast

I have no doubt the O will be vastly improved and Carr will have his best season to date, right on par with his MVPish season in 2016. I am not worried about the O at all.

The key to success this season will be our pass rush.  I dont think it has improved that much as we still have a ton of holes and question marks along the Dline.  If we can't generate a pass rush the we will certainly need the O to be firing on all cylinders for us to contend for a playoff spot. 

We will need to be a top 5 O for us to exceed 8 wins this year because I feel like we will be amongst the worst in pass rush once again.  

I figured Glennon would win the backup job over Nate even though Nate looks wayyyy better. Gruden has some weird love obsession with Glennon. He wouldn’t even let Nate play with the second strings in pre season. I personally wouldn’t keep Glennon on the roster. 

• 2 months later...