Raiders Offense Thread:

MrOaktown_56

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He ran a 4.4 at the combine and I understand that he's very athletic but he has never produced in college or the NFL. 

He became a redzone threat his final college season..You have to develop and be able to project what you think guy's can do and as it has been said they like him alot, and can be a matchup nitemare for LB's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNicJwplsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWEHhpt52k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNk_nHSHEsU

Edited by raidr4life

27 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He became a redzone threat his final college season..You have to develop and be able to project what you think guy's can do and as it has been said they like him alot, and can be a matchup nitemare for LB's.

I hope that he's good I just think it was foolish to let Cook walk because we have so much faith in a player that's never really produced. 

Who signed Cook?  There is your answer.  Everyone likes to say you have to get your players in to show you know what you are doing and the might fit your system better.  Cook showed he could ball in Gruden's system and he still let him walk when we had enough to sign him.  Top 8 money for a top 4 TE on a short term deal.  Seems like an easy decision but we did just give top 2 money in the to a WR that might not have been the best WR on his team (Ranked 11th in the league in yards).  Can not bring up age either because AB will be 31 next year and Cook is 32.  Nothing points to a strategy except getting rid of players signed by RM.

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Who signed Cook?  There is your answer.  Everyone likes to say you have to get your players in to show you know what you are doing and the might fit your system better.  Cook showed he could ball in Gruden's system and he still let him walk when we had enough to sign him.  Top 8 money for a top 4 TE on a short term deal.  Seems like an easy decision but we did just give top 2 money in the to a WR that might not have been the best WR on his team (Ranked 11th in the league in yards).  Can not bring up age either because AB will be 31 next year and Cook is 32.  Nothing points to a strategy except getting rid of players signed by RM.

You really saying AB is not a top 3 WR and was not the best on the Steelers because he was 11th in yards? 

Edited by FloydFan

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I get you not liking some signings, but knocking the AB trade is silly.  6 straight years of 1200+ yds per season and he was #1 in the league 2 years ago.  He has shown no signs of slowing down and was at almost 1300 yds last year.  

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

I get you not liking some signings, but knocking the AB trade is silly.  6 straight years of 1200+ yds per season and he was #1 in the league 2 years ago.  He has shown no signs of slowing down and was at almost 1300 yds last year.  

Neither was Cook.  He actually had his best year of his career while playing on a team that many here will admit had horrible line play which lead to bad a overall offence.  AB played with every advantage and I think he could very easily have one of his worst years of his career in Oakland.  We gave him top money and I do not believe he is a top 3 WR.  He is still a top WR but his position is pretty dependent on other positions and we did not have much last year and also do not know how the new players will come together.  Great trade if you do not take into consideration the contract.  I would rather draft a WR resign Mack and Cook than draft Ferrell, trade for AB, and have big ? at TE.  Would have cost us an extra $15 million which we have.  Overall point is Gruden would rather lose with his players over winning with RM's.  This was about the comment of letting Cook walk and why it happened when it did not have to.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

You let Cook walk because you added AB and Williams.

So you give more $ to a WR who had a better QB that produced less than the TE you let walk that new the QB and system.  You can argue AB but choosing Williams over Cook would be a dumb move.

I really like the potential of this offense under Gruden, my only issue is OL and Cable. 

The OL issue could pretty much kill this hole offense and Carr's carrier IMO.

On the other hand if the OL can be at least average in pass protection, I think we have a real shot, to be better then the 2016 unit was!!

I really like our WR group and their fit in our scheme. I think Williams will be a great physical presence for Carr and will get lots of jump balls on the sideline, in the RZ. Brown should be a true weapon for us, I expect Gruden to move him around and let him run slants and crossing stuff. His ability to get open fast will be big with Carr and his quick relelase. I think Ryan Grant could be a solid surprise, after his lackluster year in Indy. I think he was a pretty good player in Jay Gruden's scheme and I think he will be a pretty solid slot option for us. Renfrow should see some slot reps too, but I would imagine 2020 will be his year to step up, after we let Ryan walk. JJ Nelson is a gadget speed guy, but we should find few quality touches for him. There will be a pretty big battle for the 6th WR role and Harris has an inside track with his return abilities, so guys like Doss, Ateman potentially have to beat our Nelson instead of Harris.

Jacobs and Richard should be a fun RB duo. I would like to see a power guy in the room, since we lost Crowell, but since we added Martin I imagine we are pretty much set at RB. Jocobs has a chance to be a really effective rookie IMO.

I was surprised we cut Lee Smith, but since we have Willson for the blocking duties it is not a big deal. Willson will be the blocking option, Waller the recieving option with Moreau being the rookie guy with all around potential. Carrier could stick as a ST guy and depth TE.

I won't get into the details of the OL, but the Brown, Miller, Gabe, Good, Hudson starting unit should be solid IMO. If they struggle, it is on Cable and we would need to fire him...

If the OL can get together, we should have a potent running game behind Carr and that should really open up stuff for him. We could utilize the play action deep passing game with Williams and AB. I think we will have enough pass cathing options to really cause trouble for opposing defenses from week to week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

So you give more $ to a WR who had a better QB that produced less than the TE you let walk that new the QB and system.  You can argue AB but choosing Williams over Cook would be a dumb move.

Not really though. Williams is 27 years old and just now entering his prime, Cook is on the down swing of his career. 

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

T. Williams had over 1,000 yards the one season he started.  T. Williams is going to be good.  I trust the move.

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The point is he chose William's and AB over Cook, he added a legit #1 and #2 Wr's and plan on using them there a so many balls to go around. Gruden would rather have them making plays rather than rely on a TE and they think Waller can be a Cook clone, so I dont get your point on singling out Williams for your argument. They upgrade the Wr position and decided to live with a possible downgrade at TE, but if Walller is getting open and killing LB's down the seam and can be a nice redzone target Cook will be an after thought.