Raiders Offense Thread:

MrOaktown_56

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If Josh Jacobs is one of those special rookie RBs to come in and hit the ground running, I think he will be an even bigger help to Carr than Antonio Brown. Carr has never had a premier RB to take pressure off him. 

+1.  I wasn't a fan of his coming out of college, but if he comes in and averages 80+ yards a game, we are going to be very competitive.  I really like the fact that he didn't play much in college.  I feel like that played a major factor into why D. McFadden didn't do well in the NFL.  He was already ran into the ground during his college years.

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If Josh Jacobs is one of those special rookie RBs to come in and hit the ground running, I think he will be an even bigger help to Carr than Antonio Brown. Carr has never had a premier RB to take pressure off him. 

Yup. He should be really effective as a runner and a receiver. That's the thing that makes him such a valuable piece is that he's a true 3 down back. 

So I know we only saw him for one drive, but he had 22 yards during that drive on 4 carries. If he averaged that production each quarter over 16 games, he'd be over 1400 yards.  I think we'd win a lot of games if that happened.

I'm so ready for the regular season lol.

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

So I know we only saw him for one drive, but he had 22 yards during that drive on 4 carries. If he averaged that production each quarter over 16 games, he'd be over 1400 yards.  I think we'd win a lot of games if that happened.

I'm so ready for the regular season lol.

I like Washington, Richard, and Jacobs but I would like to see us have a big back that we can pound the rock with in the second half and punish the defense.  If he gets 20+ touches a game I could see Jacobs hitting the wall early in his rookie year.  I do not see us having a successful 4 minute offence to close out games using Richard or Washington.  I do not want to wear Jacobs down with those carries also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I like Washington, Richard, and Jacobs but I would like to see us have a big back that we can pound the rock with in the second half and punish the defense.  If he gets 20+ touches a game I could see Jacobs hitting the wall early in his rookie year.  I do not see us having a successful 4 minute offence to close out games using Richard or Washington.  I do not want to wear Jacobs down with those carries also.

I think those 3 and Ingold are on the team and I think we will carry 5 total after the first game. Adding a bigger back after cuts (Eagles) or trade a DT for a RB. Last season we added 2 DT's after the first game because of injury concerns but also contractual guarantees. This will allow us to hold an extra player at DT or WR past the cuts. Which would give us an advantage to getting them on our PS. Doss comes to mind. Makes 53 and gets cut/PS because other teams already filled their PS. I wonder if Hall could move to PS if he's bubbled behind Rush with recent additions. It looks to me that we're talking to others about trading a DT and I'd assume for an Offensive player.  

27 minutes ago, G said:

I think those 3 and Ingold are on the team and I think we will carry 5 total after the first game. Adding a bigger back after cuts (Eagles) or trade a DT for a RB. Last season we added 2 DT's after the first game because of injury concerns but also contractual guarantees. This will allow us to hold an extra player at DT or WR past the cuts. Which would give us an advantage to getting them on our PS. Doss comes to mind. Makes 53 and gets cut/PS because other teams already filled their PS. I wonder if Hall could move to PS if he's bubbled behind Rush with recent additions. It looks to me that we're talking to others about trading a DT and I'd assume for an Offensive player.  

Crowell would have been great until the injury and the we cut Martin.  With the characters we have already why not sign LeGarrette Blount.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Crowell would have been great until the injury and the we cut Martin.  With the characters we have already why not sign LeGarrette Blount.

Who ever the full back is will be our Blount. Crowell was most likely going to take Washington's spot.

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Who ever the full back is will be our Blount. Crowell was most likely going to take Washington's spot.

I never understood why a guy like Blount bounced around so much.  He was the king of 700 yards a year.  Had an 18 TD season.  At least he's a really good back up. I'd have him behind Jacobs tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Totty said:

I never understood why a guy like Blount bounced around so much.  He was the king of 700 yards a year.  Had an 18 TD season.  At least he's a really good back up. I'd have him behind Jacobs tomorrow.

Dude is 32. That's scary for a bruising back. I'll pass.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Dude is 32. That's scary for a bruising back. I'll pass.

I didn't realize he was 32.  Even still, as a back up/goal line back... IDK if he was in shape and healthy I'd kick the tires.

On 23/08/2019 at 4:55 PM, Jerry said:

+1.  I wasn't a fan of his coming out of college, but if he comes in and averages 80+ yards a game, we are going to be very competitive.  I really like the fact that he didn't play much in college.  I feel like that played a major factor into why D. McFadden didn't do well in the NFL.  He was already ran into the ground during his college years.

To be truthful, I like what Jacobs put on film and he looks like a very versatile, modern RB however, the fact he didn't play a whole lot makes me nervous about his longevity. People always talk about the 'rookie wall' late in the season but this guy has barely played a full season - how is he going to cope with 16 full on games and how is that going to tell on his body when he starts picking up little bumps here and there - I think it is a genuine concern. With regard McFadden, the reason why he didn't have great success IMHO was the fact he ran very fast in straight lines and didn't have great lower body size, strength or agility, he could truck into people with his shoulder but didn't have great contact balance - something that was evident in his college play and was noted around here too after we drafted him. 

I think Jacobs looks to be a much better all round multi purpose back than McFadden but the very light workload does present a reason to be cautious. I'd like for us to have a guy like Lynch or Crowell to take a load off him if he seems to be running out of steam, maybe Richard or Washington will have that role but it didn't look like that was the original intentions.