Raiders Offense Thread:

MrOaktown_56

22 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He could have had AB and Cook also.  The reason I point out Williams is because Cook played better than him, produced more, knows the system, has chemistry with Carr, and was cheaper.  We could have had all 3.  If you have to choose between the two the only reason why you pick Williams is he is younger.  This is Gruden's ego again because RM brought in Cook who is the superior player.  The Williams had a 1000 yard season the year he was a starter holds no weight with me.  Cooper was a 1000 yd last year because he got away from Carr.  He played great when looked at.  Maybe we should trade for him because he is a great player now.

Cook benefited for the lack of decent targets for Carr as did Richard. Neither was gonna be as productive in an offense Gruden really had the chance to build. I don't buy the "reggie guy" false argument. I think it just has to do with Cook cap #, the number of targets he was gonna get with AB and improved WRs in house and us wanting to get younger as we move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Cook benefited for the lack of decent targets for Carr as did Richard. Neither was gonna be as productive in an offense Gruden really had the chance to build. I don't buy the "reggie guy" false argument. I think it just has to do with Cook cap #, the number of targets he was gonna get with AB and improved WRs in house and us wanting to get younger as we move on.

Who's to say that Cook even wanted to come back? He's 32 and coming off of a career year, he probably wanted to play for a contender to finish his career and he has that chance with the Saints. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Who's to say that Cook even wanted to come back? He's 32 and coming off of a career year, he probably wanted to play for a contender to finish his career and he has that chance with the Saints. 

We never made an offer to him.  Nothing anyone has come up with is close to a reason except it is RM's guy.  Just admit it.  I was excited when I heard Gruden was coming back until he started making decisions and I remembered all of his faults from when he was here the first time.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Every year there seems to be some issues that we all wonder what in the world where they thinking.  Keeping Cable and not moving players to where they have played their best is one of them.  

Miller played better at RT at UCLA

Brown was a good RT in SF but dominant playing LT in NE

Jackson was an outstanding at LG but has not really played well at RG

Hudson is one of the best C in the league and we have a whole at TE so maybe we should try him their since he has shown the ability to get to the second level and make blocks.  In Cable's mind that translates into being able to catch passes down the seam.  Never mind we have a TE with with 18 career catches in 3 years that is really fast.  Whose thinking does that sound like now.  Funny how everyone talks trash about someone hyping Warren, who I am not a fan of because I know next to nothing about him, but Waller is the next Moeaki.

I really hate this team sometimes.  Gruden and Cable trying to be the smartest guys in the room.  Just make the easy simple choices stupid.  Until Cable is gone I do not trust or think any decisions made about the o-line are correct.  Cable is a horrible coach, we all know it, and he is the one making these decisions.

Well to add to your Cable points...And to the person who was supporting him.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Well to add to your Cable points...And to the person who was supporting him.

I'll take a leaf out of the Carr Detractors' book on this one: He (Cable) has the players in place now. So he shouldn't have many excuses. Hell, Hudson/Gabe/Kolton and even technically Good were here last year. This unit should be rounding into form this season unless Kolton or Good suck.

You don't think he had players in all those other stops? I hope you are right, but as soon as he left SEA they became a top OL. He going to have us blaming players when it's really him.

You can argue that JDR would still be here if he had fired KNJ and kept Musgrave, and now Gruden may keep this team held back because of his Cable love.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

You don't think he had players in all those other stops? I hope you are right, but as soon as he left SEA they became a top OL. He going to have us blaming players when it's really him.

You can argue that JDR would still be here if he had fired KNJ and kept Musgrave, and now Gruden may keep this team held back because of his Cable love.

Oh I don't disagree with you. I'm just assuming the worst and that he'll get every second chance imaginable. I mean, our organization supposedly stands against domestic violence, but here we are employing this guy again? WOOF. And that's on top of being bad at his job! I'm not saying to look the other way if he was a good coach, but sheesh dude, why is here?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Cable needs to go. No idea how people don't see how seattle went from bottom too much improved. And we went from a top to bottom. 

I choose to hope and believe the line is much better this year under Cable since he isn't getting replaced before the season started and I want to win games.

30 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I choose to hope and believe the line is much better this year under Cable since he isn't getting replaced before the season started and I want to win games.

False hope.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We never made an offer to him.  Nothing anyone has come up with is close to a reason except it is RM's guy.  Just admit it.  I was excited when I heard Gruden was coming back until he started making decisions and I remembered all of his faults from when he was here the first time.

How is he a Reggie guy though? Reggie didn't draft him. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How is he a Reggie guy though? Reggie didn't draft him. 

RM signed him as a FA in 2017.  Gruden sees any player brought in before he got here as a threat to his ego.  He needs to show that it was his guys that he brought in that turned this team around.  I have said it before that Gruden would rather lose with his guys than win with someone else's.  I understand you want to develop your team but if a player fits your scheme and plays well then you do what is best for the team and keep him.  Gruden will put his ego before the team almost every time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Oh I don't disagree with you. I'm just assuming the worst and that he'll get every second chance imaginable. I mean, our organization supposedly stands against domestic violence, but here we are employing this guy again? WOOF. And that's on top of being bad at his job! I'm not saying to look the other way if he was a good coach, but sheesh dude, why is here?

Might take to long for us to figure it out but Gruden is the problem.  He wants Cable and he is going to have to put on a show for the cameras about his frustration with Cable before he fires him.  If he does not then he has to admit it was a stupid decision to hire him and let him have input about personnel.  Once again Gruden's go will hold us back. 

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

RM signed him as a FA in 2017.  Gruden sees any player brought in before he got here as a threat to his ego.  He needs to show that it was his guys that he brought in that turned this team around.  I have said it before that Gruden would rather lose with his guys than win with someone else's.  I understand you want to develop your team but if a player fits your scheme and plays well then you do what is best for the team and keep him.  Gruden will put his ego before the team almost every time.

So Conley, Jackson, Richard, Hudson, Lee, Harris, Vanderdoes, Ellis, Joseph, Washington, Morrow, Holton all are next I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Pretty sure Gruden's scheme has never been TE centered. Cook had the best season ever for a TE in a Gruden offense last season. The previous best was 39 catches for 555 yards by Rickey Dudley in 1999. In Gruden's scheme, the TEs are blockers first. Cook isn't exactly the prototypical Gruden TE, so it's not surprising they chose to pay WRs instead of a receiving TE.

• Like 1