Joe Thiesmann unretires #7 and gives it to Dwayne Haskins

brushmyhair

6 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

Not only is Dwayne playing with a chip on his shoulder by being the 3rd quarterback off the board in the draft, he's now wearing the # of the greatest quarterback in the history of the Redskins franchise. 

The ghost of Sammy Baugh looks at you with disapproval.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

How is 21 not retired then?

It is not.

The unofficial policy is that there are certain numbers that Washington does not give out to new players unless the player who "owns" the number says okay.

Those numbers are 7 (Joe Theismann), 9 (Sonny Jurgensen), 21 (Sean Taylor), 28 (Darrell Green), 44 (John Riggins), and 81 (Art Monk).

Since Taylor can never give his approval, it is effectively retired. For those players who wish to honor Taylor, the usual route is to get 36 (the number Taylor wore as a rookie) if it is available. In Collins' case, it was not available, so he got 20 (which I guess is kind of honoring him as well, since he's right next to Taylor, numerically speaking).

• Like 1

I don’t like players asking guys to unretire their number. It puts the former player in a tough spot, if they say no, he’s egotistical etc. 

if a number is retired, it is for good reason. Give respect, get a new number and make it your own. Or at least earn it. Haskins isn’t some can’t miss prospect, if he busts then what happens? 

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

It is not.

The unofficial policy is that there are certain numbers that Washington does not give out to new players unless the player who "owns" the number says okay.

Those numbers are 7 (Joe Theismann), 9 (Sonny Jurgensen), 21 (Sean Taylor), 28 (Darrell Green), 44 (John Riggins), and 81 (Art Monk).

Since Taylor can never give his approval, it is effectively retired. 

For Sean Taylor's case, that's a mind-blowingly stupid policy.

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I don’t like players asking guys to unretire their number. It puts the former player in a tough spot, if they say no, he’s egotistical etc. 

if a number is retired, it is for good reason. Give respect, get a new number and make it your own. Or at least earn it. Haskins isn’t some can’t miss prospect, if he busts then what happens? 

Then the number reverts back to Theismann, who can give or not give his approval in the future.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Given that Sean Taylor's jersey is still a hot commodity amongst Washington fans and is considered "his" amongst the fanbase, I don't see how that's a stupid policy.

Trust me, I'm arguably one of Snyder's biggest detractors, but even I think that's the right call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Given that Sean Taylor's jersey is still a hot commodity amongst Washington fans and is considered "his" amongst the fanbase, I don't see how that's a stupid policy.

Trust me, I'm arguably one of Snyder's biggest detractors, but even I think that's the right call.

Because the best part of retiring a number is honoring a player (or in this case, a player's memory). By "essentially retiring" the number, you've done everything but give him formal recognition.

Obviously there's a lot of informal recognition, so I'm not saying the Redskins didn't do anything to honor him. What I'm saying, most bluntly is why wouldn't you retire Sean Taylor's number? What downside is there?

Call me old fashioned, but wouldn't it be nice if Haskins actually accomplished something, before the franchise goes around un-retiring numbers and making other such concessions for a guy who might not even start this year...

22 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Call me old fashioned, but wouldn't it be nice if Haskins actually accomplished something, before the franchise goes around un-retiring numbers and making other such concessions for a guy who might not even start this year...

The franchise didn’t do anything.  The number isn’t retired, just no one has wore it since Theismann.  Haskins called Theismann and got his blessing.  What is the problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because the best part of retiring a number is honoring a player (or in this case, a player's memory). By "essentially retiring" the number, you've done everything but give him formal recognition.

Obviously there's a lot of informal recognition, so I'm not saying the Redskins didn't do anything to honor him. What I'm saying, most bluntly is why wouldn't you retire Sean Taylor's number? What downside is there?

Because that's how they've rolled for years, even before Taylor died. In theory, if Jason Campbell wanted to wear #9, he could have asked Jurgensen if he could have had it. He didn't ask.

Also, the NFL has tried to keep teams from officially retiring numbers anymore because some of the other older franchises have jersey number issues. They don't want teams to retire numbers. This policy is kind of a halfway to that.

22 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Again, it wasn't retired. They just have not given it out because of it's ties to Theismann. He could have said "no" and that would have been the end of the conversation for Haskins. Instead, he said yes, and now people are thinking this is some slight to Theismann.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

The unofficial policy is that there are certain numbers that Washington does not give out to new players unless the player who "owns" the number says okay.Those numbers are 7 (Joe Theismann), 9 (Sonny Jurgensen), 21 (Sean Taylor), 28 (Darrell Green), 44 (John Riggins), and 81 (Art Monk).

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why? Do you feel it should be retired?