Joe Thiesmann unretires #7 and gives it to Dwayne Haskins

brushmyhair

On 5/2/2019 at 8:30 AM, brushmyhair said:

Not only is Dwayne playing with a chip on his shoulder by being the 3rd quarterback off the board in the draft, he's now wearing the # of the greatest quarterback in the history of the Redskins franchise. 

Just me, but I put Theismann between 3rd and 7th on the list of Skin quarterbacks, depending on my mood.

People overrate Theismann because he was an effective self-promoter, broke a long drought with a championship, and had his leg torn off on national TV. His stats were so-so, and a mediocre quarterback can win under Gibbs' system.

7 minutes ago, Techbert said:

Just me, but I put Theismann between 3rd and 7th on the list of Skin quarterbacks, depending on my mood.

People overrate Theismann because he was an effective self-promoter, broke a long drought with a championship, and had his leg torn off on national TV. His stats were so-so, and a mediocre quarterback can win under Gibbs' system.

Sammy Baugh,  Rypien maybe?  Who's your #2 over Theismann?  7th seems crazy to me, the Redskins QBs have been terrible forever.  

Edited by MKnight82

3 hours ago, Techbert said:

He was also one of only two quarterbacks in franchise history to lead Washington to back-to-back NFL championship games (won one, lost one). The other was Sammy Baugh, who also went 1-1 in 1942 and 1943.

Sammy is the obvious choice for best QB in franchise history, and I'm willing to go with Sonny Jurgensen for #2 ... but I'm kind of at a loss who would you put ahead of Theismann for #3. Mark Rypien? Yeah, he won a Super Bowl, but he was just as "mediocre" as Theismann was (Theismann is statistically better, but it's close). Billy Kilmer? Kirk Cousins?

Just now, Broncofan said:

My bad given the title of the thread I figured it was unofficially in practice. 

Ya I don't really understand this thread.  It sounds like Haskins spoke to Theismann and during the convo brought up the number thing, but the only # the Redskins have retired is Sammy Baugh's.  Theismann probably leaked the story to get some publicity lol.  

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Sammy Baugh,  Rypien maybe?  Who's your #2 over Theismann?  7th seems crazy to me, the Redskins QBs have been terrible forever.  

Not scientific.

Baugh/Sonny, and I don't care the order. Then a group with similar stats, and that group goes down to 7th. Joe is probably 3rd or 4th, but you can have arguments. It's not a slam dunk. The stats are not all that different, and the successes have been due to the team, not the quarterback.

Eddie Lebaron went to 4 pro bowls on some teams that sucked.. Adjust for era, who's better? I dunno, and don't want to argue. So 3rd thru 7th avoids that.

I guess, if it comes down to it, if I needed a quarterback who would I want? Adjusted for era, I'd say Sammy clearly, then Sonny. Mebbe Billy and then Joe.  And even Doug could win the game with his arm, although his whole body of work is not high enough.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

My bad given the title of the thread I figured it was unofficially in practice. 

A request has been made to mods and/or the OP to correct the title because it is misleading.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

A request has been made to mods and/or the OP to correct the title because it is misleading.

If only there was an individual with Powers of persuasion after long years of service that could PM or message said individuals on a Discussion board hidden from the Masses, This might get taken care of? 😎🍺🤜

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If only there was an individual with Powers of persuasion after long years of service that could PM or message said individuals on a Discussion board hidden from the Masses, This might get taken care of? 😎🍺🤜

... this person exists on FF?