Is it blasphemy to like more than one team?

Hail Mary

I'm a Pats/Lions fan.

Lions fan mostly for Matt Stafford (Georgia) since I'm a Georgia fan. Now that Matt Patricia is the coach even more reason to like them.

I like lots of individual players since I do fantasy football as well.

I've lived in the DMV for over a decade now and the Redskins have definitely become my second team. It helps that they constantly draft players I really like such as Jordan Reed or Ryan Kerrigan. I actually root for a lot of teams because they draft players I like.

No I don't think it's bad at all. I would say that it's cheap to cherrypick the best teams though. I had a friend who was a fairweather fan and I wanted to punch him. "John, who's going to be your team THIS year?"   John: "I don't know yet...i dunno who's going to be good!"

I hate that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

No I don't think it's bad at all. I would say that it's cheap to cherrypick the best teams though. I had a friend who was a fairweather fan and I wanted to punch him. "John, who's going to be your team THIS year?"   John: "I don't know yet...i dunno who's going to be good!"

I hate that.

100%

I dont get that.

Like who you like, but liking them because theyre likely going to win the bowl or whatever is the definition of a bandwaggoner.

I avoid that **** like the plague.

Definitely not.  If nothing else, there are teams featuring players from your favorite college teams that you're rooting for.  Even beyond that, everyone has a hierarchy of hatred.  I'm never rooting for someone playing against the Titans, but otherwise, I like the Panthers.  A lot of people seem to have the Panthers as their backup team.

I think there's really only 3 situations it's "acceptable" to root for multiple teams. Of course it's a free country but when I think it's fair.

1. Geographic changes. Many people move for different reasons and it's often easier to go to local games than back to where you moved from. That doesn't mean you have to throw everything away. And it's not specific amount of time, like if you cheered for 1 team for 10 years and then moved, you could have just cheered for that team for 2 years if you happened to have gone to a lot of games (maybe corporate benefits, etc). I do think it stretches out thin when you have 5+ teams like I know some people. But that's the biggest reason. A lot of people also own multiple houses or visit friends/family so that's another reason. My situation is I live in Toronto but I grew up in around Phoenix. I didn't like the Toronto sports scene much for a long time and went to school near Buffalo so while I've never actively followed the Bills I have gone to more of their games than any other team because of proximity. I usually go for the atmosphere but obviously I don't mind cheering for them when they face a team I hate. Then I got into the Wings for a time because it was the only hockey winner close by so I ended up going to some Lions games. Now I went to Cleveland a bunch of times to watch the Cavs with James and the Indians because they're right there so now I'm partial to the Browns. I still cheer for the Cards primarily but the Lions, Bills and Browns are a soft spot for me. Now a friend of mine has been a life-long Bills fan but he got a great job in Minnesota and got into the Vikings fandom because of the new stadium and atmosphere. They are difference conference so it's not a big deal either. Other people I know have places in Florida including all 3 NFL cities so they cheer for those teams when they're down there which given Canadian weather is obviously quite a bit during NFL season but they might be Packers, Lions or Bills fans when back home.

2. Betting lines. A lot of people watch sports for the betting lines, myself included. Now this doesn't mean I'm all that cheerful of other teams despite having money on them, it's more logistics however a lot of people really get into runs where they follow multiple teams intently to make consistent return. This is less about real fanhood and yet it is the way it goes. I even know a guy who specifically went to an Eagles game because he won big on the Super Bowl 2 years back.

3. Family. Whether they live in different places, play the sport or just cheer for different teams. You might get into it as a result. A friend of mine comes from a family of 6 with 3 brothers and his parents. His dad cheers for the Cards, his younger but 2nd oldest cheers for the Pack, the 3rd youngest cheers for the Falcons and the youngest cheers for the Pats and he cheers for the Vikings. When it's one of those 5 teams that is playing and not against another, there is a family aspect to it or picking alliances. For the Pats vs. Falcons Super Bowl for example, my friend the oldest went for the Falcons while the dad and Packer's fan went for the Pats.

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I live in the PNW so I like the Seahawks and root for them, but my favorite team has always been the Ravens. I was given a considerable amount of crap for this situation around these parts historically, but it appears that attitude has somewhat changed now? Interesting.

I think if you like a team from outside of geographical area, there's always skepticism because the assumption is that you're a bandwaggoner fan.

I'm probably going to move to Philly or Chicago in a few years, and chances are that will make me bump the Eagles or Bears up to No. 2, but definitely not No. 1.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think if you like a team from outside of geographical area, there's always skepticism because the assumption is that you're a bandwaggoner fan.

I'm probably going to move to Philly or Chicago in a few years, and chances are that will make me bump the Eagles or Bears up to No. 2, but definitely not No. 1.

Funny thing is - I don't get **** for my team being the Ravens as much as I do also rooting for the Seahawks since I live in the area lol kinda hard to be a bandwagon Ravens fan tbh