Taylor vs Lewis

Johnny Nix

Interesting comments by AJ Green regarding Taylor vs Lewis 

“Playing with coach Lewis, it’s all about the defense,” Green said. “You don’t show up the defense at practice. But Zac is like, ‘OTA one, we’re going to kick the defense’s butt.’ That’s what we like to hear. I love the way he teaches. He’s not yelling at you, he’s teaching every little detail and having you understand why we run it this way.”

• Like 2

Marvin seems like one of those guys that thinks they 'need' to yell.  Zac Taylor actually teaches, and has the biggest coaching staff the Bengals have ever had (IIRC).  As soon as Taylor picked Jonah Williams at #11, my faith was completely restored in him...

30 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Marvin probably wanted to see the defense dominate from day one, but not get anyone hurt.  Yes he is old school.  If he had coached any other team last year, him as DC with taylor could have made quite a coaching staff.

Marvin did well when he took over the defense last season.  He's Ok/fine as a DC, although I'm also interested in a fresh face coming in.  My biggest problem with him even when he took over as DC was trying to make his defense work with subpar parts.  Instead of trying schemes like "big nickel" with more safeties on the field, he trotted out Hardy Nickerson Jr. who was just awful...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Instead of trying schemes like "big nickel" with more safeties on the field, he trotted out Hardy Nickerson Jr. who was just awful...

When the board fell the way it did in round 2, I really wanted Nasir Adderly or Juan Thornhill for this reason. Pair Shawn Williams with Vigil as a linebacker in nickel packages. 

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

When the board fell the way it did in round 2, I really wanted Nasir Adderly or Juan Thornhill for this reason. Pair Shawn Williams with Vigil as a linebacker in nickel packages. 

Yeah, I was a big fan of Thornhill.  Adderly admittedly I didn't watch, so I can't really comment on him.

It's definitely a need for us, but QB Play and Blocking I look at as the biggest issues the team has.  So I'm still good with the Drew Sample pick (I will die on this hill)...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Interesting comments by AJ Green regarding Taylor vs Lewis 

“Playing with coach Lewis, it’s all about the defense,” Green said. “You don’t show up the defense at practice. But Zac is like, ‘OTA one, we’re going to kick the defense’s butt.’ That’s what we like to hear. I love the way he teaches. He’s not yelling at you, he’s teaching every little detail and having you understand why we run it this way.”

I like to hear that.  Competition will raise everyone to a new level.  No sense in coddling a defense like that - their week 1 opponent won't.  Make them better by trying to beat them.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I like to hear that.  Competition will raise everyone to a new level.  No sense in coddling a defense like that - their week 1 opponent won't.  Make them better by trying to beat them.

I agree. And the offense will benefit too but going hard every time. 

I like the idea of hiring an offensive coach and drafting heavy defense. Let the wizard piece together an O and have a great set of defensive players in place to fall back on.

I know nothing about Zac Taylor, but he's already an upgrade over Marvin Lewis for you guys. I was surprised you didn't take Haskins at #11 though. He would have been perfect for your QBOTF, as I don't think Dalton is a championship caliber QB even in the best of circumstances.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like the idea of hiring an offensive coach and drafting heavy defense. Let the wizard piece together an O and have a great set of defensive players in place to fall back on.

I know nothing about Zac Taylor, but he's already an upgrade over Marvin Lewis for you guys. I was surprised you didn't take Haskins at #11 though. He would have been perfect for your QBOTF, as I don't think Dalton is a championship caliber QB even in the best of circumstances.

He didn't have a championship caliber coach ever.  He's ok.  I'm glad he's getting a chance.  He's better than plenty of qb's that have won championships.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

He didn't have a championship caliber coach ever.  He's ok.  I'm glad he's getting a chance.  He's better than plenty of qb's that have won championships.

I mean, I wouldn’t say plenty. Maybe better than like 5-8% of QBs that have wob a Super Bowl. I could see you guys sneaking into  the playoffs within the next year or two, but your defense, nor your QB, are good enough to threaten anyone. At least in my opinion. I’d have taken a QB that i thought was a significant upgrade; that being Haskins. Also, not the biggest Jonah Williams fan. He’s rock solid, but isn’t some kind of Joe Thomas LT piece. We’ll see though...I seem to be in the minority that believes Haskins >>>>>> Jonah

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Haskins >>>>>> Jonah

I was a fan of taking Haskins at #11, but I'm fine with Jonah.  Haskins is a QB that needs a good-to-great OL to succeed/excel.  Without Jonah that ends up being 2-3 years away, which by then AJ Green would be 33ish.  Fix the OL, and draft one of the stud QBs (Tua, Herbert, Lawrence) that are coming out in the next 2 years.  I'm ok with that.

We survived the Marvin Lewis era, we can wait another year or two to replace Dalton...